The Student Room Group

Applying for Cambridge after studying in a college in the U.S. for a year

I'm currently a freshman in an Ivy League school in the U.S., but I'm going to apply for Cambridge's Trinity College math program this year. I'm just wondering a few points about its application process, and I'd appreciate if any of you would answer any of the following questions:

- I have a year of advantage in math compared with other applicants. How much do you think this circumstance would make my admission harder?

- Could you list the following factors in the order of importance in admission? (if no order relation holds, please ignore this question) Reference, Personal Statement, Interview, STEP

- I'm kinda interested in mathematical biology, so I also want to learn a little bit of biology. Can I take any bio classes as a math major?

- I have an unusual educational background, and I got placed to Advanced Abstract Algebra, which is comparable with grad-level courses, and some other advanced classes like topology as a freshman. If I will get accepted, will I have any placement opportunities such as oral or written test to skip some intro classes?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi! I'm an international student, kind of in the same situation as you. I'm a sophomore at an American university and looking to apply to Cambridge for the second time (I was rejected the first time I applied two years ago, and in hindsight, I deserved rejection). Though I'll have been at school for two years before starting at Cambridge if I get accepted, I don't really care seeing as it's my dream and I don't want to wait to apply for grad school there. l can't answer a lot of your questions, but I can tell you that there's no real "order of importance" for the things you listed. If you have a weaker PS, you can make up for it in your interview, etc. The components interact with one another rather than some being more important than others. As for skipping classes, I'm not sure, but for my course (English Literature) you have to take every required module and there's no way to skip out of them. Like I said, not sure about math, though.
Reply 2
Thanks for your response. From the syllabii, the first year math courses don't seem to me particularly advanced compared with what I have studied and what I'm currently studying, so I wanted to skip the classes just like I'm doing in the U.S. But reviewing something I already know is not so bad thing, and it is awesome that I will have plenty of opportunities to take grad-level-like math courses in my second or third year. So, I began to think that it's totally OK even if no placement is allowed (auditing is allowed, though.)
Yeah, you should be fine. One of the main draws for me about studying in the UK is that you don't have to complete extraneous "core" requirements that have nothing to do with your major like you do at US schools. (At mine, anyway. Like, I have to take two math classes, two science classes, etc. even though all I want to do is study literature.) So, even if certain things will be more of a review than new material, I'm willing to go through it just to hear new perspectives and experience all the opportunities studying at Cambridge brings!

In your original post, you mentioned having a year of advantage in math. Were you referencing your year of university as your year of advantage? The US system differs in that most of us graduate high school at age 17/18, whereas UK students graduate their version of "high school" at 18/19. So having a year of university in the US actually makes you more equivalent to a UK applicant rather than advantaged.
Reply 4
Oh really? Interestingly, I have never paid attention to that point, yet it's really nice to now that.

I have exactly the same idea. I got really bored with this small liberal arts college, where I can study nothing deeply. I feel what I'm doing here is really superficial.
Original post by worry123
I wanted to skip the classes just like I'm doing in the U.S.

Original post by captainkenway
Yeah, you should be fine.

Huh? No, you can't. If you've already studied something which comes up again in the first year of the Cambridge degree, you're just going to have to do it again. The US system of transferring credits is completely alien in the UK.
Reply 6
I'm not trying to transfer my credit, but I just wanted to know whether or not it's possible to skip a course by demonstrating my knowledge through some placement test. But since I learned that such placement opportunity doesn't exist in Cambridge after posting this question, I'm not going to expect any such an opportunity.
I'm currently a freshman in an Ivy League school in the U.S., but I'm going to apply for Cambridge's Trinity College math program this year. I'm just wondering a few points about its application process, and I'd appreciate if any of you would answer any of the following questions:

- I have a year of advantage in math compared with other applicants. How much do you think this circumstance would make my admission harder?

- Could you list the following factors in the order of importance in admission? (if no order relation holds, please ignore this question) Reference, Personal Statement, Interview, STEP

- I'm kinda interested in mathematical biology, so I also want to learn a little bit of biology. Can I take any bio classes as a math major?

- I have an unusual educational background, and I got placed to Advanced Abstract Algebra, which is comparable with grad-level courses, and some other advanced classes like topology as a freshman. If I will get accepted, will I have any placement opportunities such as oral or written test to skip some intro classes?

*Applying to* Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Don't assume that any of the institutional structures in the US will be the same in the UK. Read about the maths course at Cambridge *very* carefully to see what it's all about. For instance, I very much doubt that you'd be permitted to take biology courses if you're doing maths, as it's not a 'major' in the same sense as in the US.
Reply 9
I'm currently a freshman in an Ivy League school in the U.S., but I'm going to apply for Cambridge's Trinity College math program this year.

My 18yo is going to be at Trinity doing maths this year. He's been home schooled in California, so if your educational background is unusual, then it's likely less unusual than his. It's possible the things I've learned going through the application process might be helpful to you.

One thing to keep in mind is that every college and every course is different in some respects from every other. Another is that the UK system, and Cambridge in particular, is nothing like the US system in how you are taught and how you get credit for what you've learned.

I'm just wondering a few points about its application process, and I'd appreciate if any of you would answer any of the following questions:

Your offer will almost certainly require an S,S in STEP II,III. I can't see that they would let you in if you are even close to borderline.

Interview, STEP, Reference, Personal Statement. In your situation they will use the interview to determine if you are a serious maths guy. You should love maths and be someone whom they can teach. You should be able to think on your feet about problems you don't understand. The standard will be very high, but they won't care too much what you know already beyond what they expect of any applicant, and you should already be fluent in all that.

You can take any classes they offer (pretty much) at Cambridge. But you won't get any "credit" for the classes in any way comparable to doing something like that at a US school. You would have to work things out with your Director of Studies. Of course coming from an unusual background you might have quite a bit to work out.

There really isn't any equivalent concept to the US school notion of skipping classes. You don't have to go to lectures if you don't want to, or supervisions (although they won't like it if you don't work it out with your DoS in advance). What you do have to do is sit the Tripos exams at the end of the year and demonstrate you know enough maths by doing well enough. So in some sense you never have to take a class that's meant to teach something you already know, but you may have to go to some effort to participate in classes at the right level for you.

For instance, in algebra you may already know (mostly) everything in Part IA Groups; IB Linear Algebra; IB Groups, Rings, and Modules; and Part II Galois Theory. You'll still need to sit exams for those classes in the three appropriate years. And you may have some trouble getting your DoS to support your taking Part III Representation Theory as a fresher. I'm not at all sure about what a DoS will support -- I'll know quite a bit more in a few months after I've seen how things work out for my son.

Feel free to PM me with questions.
Reply 10
I appreciate so much for your response, in which you answered everything I wanted to know!!
Original post by Samual
Huh? No, you can't. If you've already studied something which comes up again in the first year of the Cambridge degree, you're just going to have to do it again. The US system of transferring credits is completely alien in the UK.

This is what I meant. I didn't mean to insinuate that he could skip classes; I meant that it wouldn't be that bad repeating certain things he already knew. Sorry for bad wording!
Reply 12
The US system differs in that most of us graduate high school at age 17/18, whereas UK students graduate their version of "high school" at 18/19. So having a year of university in the US actually makes you more equivalent to a UK applicant rather than advantaged.

That's actually not true. UK students leave secondary school at 17 / 18 as well; it is just called Year 13, not 12th Grade. Although, content covered in maths (especially further maths) A level is more advanced than what is covered in High School AP classes.
Reply 13
The US system differs in that most of us graduate high school at age 17/18, whereas UK students graduate their version of "high school" at 18/19. So having a year of university in the US actually makes you more equivalent to a UK applicant rather than advantaged.

That's actually not true. UK students leave secondary school at 17 / 18 as well; it is just called Year 13, not 12th Grade. Although, content covered in maths (especially further maths) A level is more advanced than what is covered in High School AP classes.
Original post by Emypeach

Ah, really? I guess I was misinformed; thank you for correcting me.

Our APs are a little bit pathetic, to be honest.

If you are as qualified and gifted as you seem to think you are, the most important hurdle may be the Interview. They are looking for a particular type of individual, since most everyone who makes it that far appears similar on paper. If you come off as over-confident and dismissive of an Ivy League education as "superficial" and perhaps boring, I doubt that will go down very well. They are looking for enthusiasm, inspiration, and originality - openness. It isn't just about intellectual attributes.
Reply 16
Ah, really? I guess I was misinformed; thank you for correcting me.

Our APs are a little bit pathetic, to be honest.

You're welcome!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending