The Student Room Group

Can you defer a Cambridge offer?

I received an offer to study at Cambridge next year (starting October 2024) after being a little unsure on whether to apply in the first place and having planned to probably take a gap year. I was worried about the intensity of the environment there and honestly didn't think I'd actually get in. I'm of course really grateful and feel really lucky to have received an offer, and I've decided that it would definitely be my top choice uni, but I'm a bit worried about going this year as I don't really feel ready to go to university, and think I might benefit from taking a gap year. My offer is to study languages so I would hope to spend time in the respective countries during the year, as well as to use the extra time which I don't have at the moment due to A Levels to immerse myself in the culture more by reading books/watching films. However, I'm really not sure on what Cambridge's stance on this is, as I know it would have been better if I had applied deferred originally - is it at all possible that they would accept a deferral of my place?
Which college did you apply to? Because for languages, a couple of colleges do actually prefer for applicants to have taken a gap year before they begin the course.

Queen's, for example, state on their website that: 'Queens’ MML applicants are encouraged to take a gap year between school and university, where possible, and to use this time to travel or work abroad. Experience suggests that this can prove very beneficial in terms of both language skills and cultural awareness. Candidates choosing not to take a gap year are in no way at a disadvantage in the application process, however.'

I also happen to know someone who applied for MML for 2024 entry but then received a deferred offer from Fitzwilliam for 2025 entry, although she did successfully request for it to be moved forward to 2024. Evidently, then, Fitzwilliam also seem to promote gap years.

I guess ask your college and see...
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by jakechoice
Which college did you apply to? Because for languages, a couple of colleges do actually prefer for applicants to have taken a gap year before they begin the course.
Queen's, for example, state on their website that: 'Queens’ MML applicants are encouraged to take a gap year between school and university, where possible, and to use this time to travel or work abroad. Experience suggests that this can prove very beneficial in terms of both language skills and cultural awareness. Candidates choosing not to take a gap year are in no way at a disadvantage in the application process, however.'
I also happen to know someone who applied for MML for 2024 entry but then received a deferred offer from Fitzwilliam for 2025 entry, although she did successfully request for it to be moved forward to 2024. Evidently, then, Fitzwilliam also seem to promote gap years.
I guess ask your college and see...

Thanks for the shoutout xx

I got pooled into Fitz and they offered me a deferred, so, I asked them if I could apply for summer reconsideration for 2024 right after the offers came out. They took just over a week to respond and told me that they would, then and there, change it to 2024!

I have a friend who was in your situation (MML at Clare 2024) and she emailed asking to defer but they said no since they had already worked out their numbers for 2024. I suppose some colleges are less inclined to give our deferred offers and hence aren’t as likely to change an offer’s entry year?

There is definitely no harm in asking, email the college admissions and ask if it’s a possibility, you never know! Good luck with A-Levels ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending