UCL Medical School 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Gap year applicant here

S1: 4.1
S2: 3.7
S3: 5C

GCSE: 6 A*s, 2 As, 1C
GCE: All A*s except for AS Physics where I got an A

what are my realistic chances of getting an interview from UCL?
It seems desperate but i can't sleep so I'm going to post this anyways.
What are my chances with:
4.1, 6.3, 3A in the BMAT
1A* 5As 2Bs 2Cs at gcse
4As and a B at AS (in chem, maths, physics, italian and biology respectively)
Loads of volunteering, work experience and extracurriculars? My BMAT score and my GCSEs make me worried i'll get a pre interview rejection.
Reply 182
I got:

3.5A

Is my below average score in S2 gonna get me a rejection?
Original post by WeirdF
I got:

3.5A

Is my below average score in S2 gonna get me a rejection?

Remember that UCL don't use cut offs and decide holistically. People with all sections below average have had interviews before. Although on one the selection procedure PDF it says that those with scores below the average for their cohort are unlikely to be successful. Not sure how they come up with a total average but since they say they don't use cut offs your lower than average s2 shouldn't be a problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 184
Original post by TechRaid3r
Remember that UCL don't use cut offs and decide holistically. People with all sections below average have had interviews before. Although on one the selection procedure PDF it says that those with scores below the average for their cohort are unlikely to be successful. Not sure how they come up with a total average but since they say they don't use cut offs your lower than average s2 shouldn't be a problem

Okay! Thank you very much!

Their selection procedure thing is confusingly worded, it doesn't make clear whether just one score below average means you're likely to be unsuccessful or if it's the whole thing.

I mean if I add it up:

UCL Average = 4.7 + 4.7 + 3.2 = 12.6

Me = 5.4 + 4 + 3.5 = 12.9

So I guess I'm just above a total average assuming they give equal weighting to each section.
Original post by WeirdF
Okay! Thank you very much!

Their selection procedure thing is confusingly worded, it doesn't make clear whether just one score below average means you're likely to be unsuccessful or if it's the whole thing.

I mean if I add it up:

UCL Average = 4.7 + 4.7 + 3.2 = 12.6

Me = 5.4 + 4 + 3.5 = 12.9

So I guess I'm just above a total average assuming they give equal weighting to each section.

I wanted to email them about it but they are telling us to stop emailing about the bmat since its not the only thing they use to select candidates. I remember reading somewhere that they rank all applicants based off their ucas content and then rank them again after bmat results have been released. What are your GCSEs and AS levels like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 186
I wanted to email them about it but they are telling us to stop emailing about the bmat since its not the only thing they use to select candidates. I remember reading somewhere that they rank all applicants based off their ucas content and then rank them again after bmat results have been released. What are your GCSEs and AS levels like?

I do a linear course so I do my AS and A2 exams next summer, but at the open day they said this means they assume As at AS if you are predicted A at A2. I'm predicted A*A*A*A A*(EP)

IGCSEs are 9 A*s and 2 As.
Original post by WeirdF
I do a linear course so I do my AS and A2 exams next summer, but at the open day they said this means they assume As at AS if you are predicted A at A2. I'm predicted A*A*A*A A*(EP)

IGCSEs are 9 A*s and 2 As.

I got 9a* 1a for GCSE and 5A at AS
Predicted A*A*A*A

You're probably high up in the initial rankings, assuming the your personal statement etc are awesome too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys is 5.7 5.4 2.5 b good enough?
Reply 189
Original post by WeirdF
I know UCL use the essay during interview, but will they read everyone's essays prior to the interview as part of the selection process, or just use the scores?

The panel get the essays to read and have them at the interview I think, they may or may not question you on them, depends really. So I don't think admissions read them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey guys just want u r opinion on my chances

BMAT: 4.1 4 4A
AS: AAAA
Prediction: A*A*A*
GCSEs:5As 3Bs
Excellent refernce and p's hopefully
does anyone know about BMAT cut offs for Biomed at Imperial?
Original post by RealistZ
Hey guys just want u r opinion on my chances

BMAT: 4.1 4 4A
AS: AAAA
Prediction: A*A*A*
GCSEs:5As 3Bs
Excellent refernce and p's hopefully

Good AS results and A2 predictions. Bit weaker on GCSEs but according to the selection procedure pdf , GCSEs are used as a general indicator of academic performance but your predictions suggest that you've made a good improvement and thus strong motivation to study. Your section 1 and 2 for BMAT are below the average(4.7) but people have got interviews with lower than average results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good AS results and A2 predictions. Bit weaker on GCSEs but according to the selection procedure pdf , GCSEs are used as a general indicator of academic performance but your predictions suggest that you've made a good improvement and thus strong motivation to study. Your section 1 and 2 for BMAT are below the average(4.7) but people have got interviews with lower than average results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks mate :wink:
Reply 194
How does 4.4, 5.7 4A sound for UCL and Leeds?
Reply 195
So disappointed because my BMAT section 1 and 2 scores are below the average- with section 1 being substantially below (although I did get 5A in S3, so there's that) and UCL say it's unlikely that you'll be successful if your scores are below your cohort average :frown::frown:
Original post by tinoah
So disappointed because my BMAT section 1 and 2 scores are below the average- with section 1 being substantially below (although I did get 5A in S3, so there's that) and UCL say it's unlikely that you'll be successful if your scores are below your cohort average :frown::frown:

What did you get if you dont mind me ask

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also what was the lowest score on BMAT that someone got an interview with
Reply 198
Original post by RealistZ
What did you get if you dont mind me ask

I won't say, it's embarrassingly bad :tongue:
I mean I got 4.1 4 4A and I pretty much gave up. although I rang them up and they said there is some degree of compensation between components. like it doesnt matter how good your BMAT score is you wont get an interview if you got D's and E's. so what I take from that is that as long as the BMAT result isnt too below the average and the rest of your application is stellar it should be fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending