The Student Room Group

UCL Medical School 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I've applied to UCL :smile:
Graduate entry though, I'm in my final year at uni.
BMAT revision is really taking me back to high school...! What resources is everyone using?
Reply 41
Original post by jalwxx
I've applied to UCL :smile:
Graduate entry though, I'm in my final year at uni.
BMAT revision is really taking me back to high school...! What resources is everyone using?

Cool, what degree are you currently studying then?

I'm using BBC bitesize to refresh gcse physics etc, and going on the Kaplan course next week :smile: how about you?
Reply 42
Biomedical Sciences! Really enjoying it - exams coming up though juggling with the BMAT is quite a task!!
I've just been using the 400 questions book - I think quite a lot of the chemistry and biology is covered in my course according to the spec but it's the physics and the maths which I've completely forgotten!!
Reply 43
Are you a grad too?
Reply 44
Original post by jalwxx
Biomedical Sciences! Really enjoying it - exams coming up though juggling with the BMAT is quite a task!!
I've just been using the 400 questions book - I think quite a lot of the chemistry and biology is covered in my course according to the spec but it's the physics and the maths which I've completely forgotten!!

Original post by jalwxx
Are you a grad too?

Nope I'm undergrad, just tucked away all my physics knowledge as soon as I didn't need it anymore, so having to dedicate a fair bit of time to relearning all of that! But yeah i've heard good things about the 400q book, is it useful?
Reply 45
Original post by quirksy
Nope I'm undergrad, just tucked away all my physics knowledge as soon as I didn't need it anymore, so having to dedicate a fair bit of time to relearning all of that! But yeah i've heard good things about the 400q book, is it useful?

To be honest - I think it's rather out of date. But provides quite a lot of good calculation questions which seem to take up a significant proportion of the past papers in section 2.
Practising S1 has been good - scored really well on all of the past paper I've done so far without too much of a problem with time.... but S2 I think is going to be really pushed to finish all of the questions! but perhaps that's because I have only been practising a few days.

I've got an exam next week which is annoying because obviously there's no point doing really well in the BMAT if I'm going to flop on all of my university exams! Stressful times!!!

UCL is my first choice - I REALLY really want an interview!!
Reply 46
Original post by jalwxx
To be honest - I think it's rather out of date. But provides quite a lot of good calculation questions which seem to take up a significant proportion of the past papers in section 2.
Practising S1 has been good - scored really well on all of the past paper I've done so far without too much of a problem with time.... but S2 I think is going to be really pushed to finish all of the questions! but perhaps that's because I have only been practising a few days.

I've got an exam next week which is annoying because obviously there's no point doing really well in the BMAT if I'm going to flop on all of my university exams! Stressful times!!!

UCL is my first choice - I REALLY really want an interview!!

Ahh sounds like you're pretty on top of things then, I'm sure you'll do well! I haven't actually been looking at past papers yet, should probs get a move on.

Good luck with both! Where else are you applying?
Reply 47
Original post by quirksy
Ahh sounds like you're pretty on top of things then, I'm sure you'll do well! I haven't actually been looking at past papers yet, should probs get a move on.

Good luck with both! Where else are you applying?

You too! I'm applying to Leeds, Sheffield and Leicester you?
Reply 48
Original post by jalwxx
You too! I'm applying to Leeds, Sheffield and Leicester you?

Ah and Leeds is BMAT too isn't it?

I'm applying to King's, UCL, Birmingham and Barts, and neuroscience at King's as my fifth option :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by quirksy
Ah and Leeds is BMAT too isn't it?

I'm applying to King's, UCL, Birmingham and Barts, and neuroscience at King's as my fifth option :smile:

Yeah it is! I didn't do well enough in the UKCAT to apply to Kings!! :frown: Ah nice, I had an offer from Birmingham in 2010 when I applied before my degree - it's such a great school!!
I have a question for everyone. When logging into the UCL Portal, what am I meant to put as my username?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by thelurker96
I have a question for everyone. When logging into the UCL Portal, what am I meant to put as my username?

Thanks in advance :smile:

The email address that you used to register. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Did anyone get an email talking about interview dates? I sent off my application on 13th October
Original post by Efemena15
Did anyone get an email talking about interview dates? I sent off my application on 13th October

Yes I'm pretty sure it will have been sent to all applicants.
Original post by Efemena15

Original post by BrokenS0ulz
Yes I'm pretty sure it will have been sent to all applicants.

Yea! I got the email and it made me feel so special, I don't even know why! :colondollar:

BTW there is already a thread for UCL Medicine Entry 2015, can I direct you over there:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2901201

Good luck to all, esp BMAT revision! :smile:
Reply 55
How many people does UCL interview in total and how many interviews are held per day? I've seen on the email they sent us that there is only one interview day in december, and they said that they interview int. applicants and graduates on january-february. Does this mean that they interview UK undergrads in december and after february?
Reply 56
Original post by Joshi213
Has anyone got some idea about the sort of BMAT score I'd need to get for an interview? My general info is below considering they take a wholistic approach to offering interviews, thanks!(Predicted 3A*s, 4As at AS (biology, chemistry, maths and French, dropped French), 10A*s and 1A at GCSE, work experience and drums grade 7)(I wasn't sure which thread is the most active so I've just posted it in both UCL ones haha)

I've heard that they rank applicants based on stats without the bmat and then update the rankings when the bmat results cone through... but I don't think it's known how much preference they give to an above average bmat score... :confused:

They just keep saying that a good score is "advantageous to your application" :s-smilie: Great help....

Amazing stats btw! I did French for AS and have dropped it now too, feels good :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you think i will be rejected automatically for not being predicted A* in BOTH biology and chemistry?

I am doing four subjects and I am predicted A*A*A*A (A in chemistry)

Many thanks!
Reply 58
Hahaha exactly what I thought when all they say is that your score will contribute to your application as a whole ������
Ah thanks!
It really does feel good, not up for doing basically English lit in French, hated it enough at GCSEs haha!

Where else have you applied?:smile:

Haha absolutely! Sometimes I kind of miss French, but then I remember the pages full of vocabulary and verb tables and that sentiment disappears pretty quickly :rolleyes:

UCL would be my first choice, my other ones are Sheffield, Nottingham, and Manchester.
Where have you applied to? :smile:
And how's bmat revision going? :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 59
I definitely miss speaking it, the essay writing and the rest of it, not so much haha. My class sucked as well, couldn't really put up with them for another year either ������ hahaha
Some good choices right there!
Decided on King's (probably first choice, but I'd take any offer haha), UCL, Southampton and Leicester in the end
Don't even go there :/ it's not that bad but just the assumed knowledge is so long, then there's also section one. I think the essay may be okay... it's just a lot of prep when I'm not really up to it. Been non-stop since we started A levels, with work, exams, the UKCAT, uni application and work experience, and whatever else!...
You?

Ugh god, same! It wasn't so much the language itself as much as it was my class and the teachers... *shudders*
Ah nice choices! Yeah, all unis which offer medicine are of a pretty damn high standard so I just want an offer from anywhere!
I know what you mean, as soon as you've finished one thing it's onto the next. If only UCL just asked for the UKCAT... 1 less exam to worry about :colondollar:
Section 2 is bugging me, despite having taken all three sciences at AS and A2 (Yep, It's a killer...)there's so much stuff from outside my exam boards that they claim is GCSE standard... i think otherwise.
And not having done maths since GCSE makes it even harder... how are you finding the physics parts? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending