The Student Room Group

Candidate name appearing on Answer sheet

My opinion is candidate's name should not appear on the GCSE or A level answer sheet. Only the number should appear. The Candidate name could result in discrimination in some form. Most of the examiners are professionals and additional checking is also done. However knowing the ethnicity, religion etc from the name could result in postive or negative discrimination , instituitional racism which can influence marking. Many countries follow the rule of not putting name (only number) on the answer sheet to avoid conscious or sub-conscious bias

Any views?
Original post by anonymous6789
My opinion is candidate's name should not appear on the GCSE or A level answer sheet. Only the number should appear. The Candidate name could result in discrimination in some form. Most of the examiners are professionals and additional checking is also done. However knowing the ethnicity, religion etc from the name could result in postive or negative discrimination , instituitional racism which can influence marking. Many countries follow the rule of not putting name (only number) on the answer sheet to avoid conscious or sub-conscious bias

Any views?

Since all of the papers are scanned in anyway, I'm not sure if examiners are even able to see the names of students.
Original post by Chlorophile
Since all of the papers are scanned in anyway, I'm not sure if examiners are even able to see the names of students.

I had my exam scripts back after remarking. The marks for each section appear on the front sheet where our name is there. Examiners record the marks on the front sheet. So; of course they can see our name
I had my exam scripts back after remarking. The marks for each section appear on the front sheet where our name is there. Examiners record the marks on the front sheet. So; of course they can see our name

I thought it was the senior moderators who do that, not the examiners themselves.
Original post by Chlorophile
I thought it was the senior moderators who do that, not the examiners themselves.

May be, May be not. I am not so sure. If they detach front sheet from the rest of the sheets , that can be risky as papers can get lost and can get attached to another front sheet. So I would think they will always keep the front sheet and other sheets together
May be, May be not. I am not so sure. If they detach front sheet from the rest of the sheets , that can be risky as papers can get lost and can get attached to another front sheet. So I would think they will always keep the front sheet and other sheets together

But the papers are scanned. I am fairly certain that the examiners themselves do not have access to the original scripts.

Quick Reply

Latest