The Student Room Group

Breaking in contact lenses?

A week ago I was fitted with hard contact lenses. Since then, I've been trying to wear them, but they still hurt so much. The longest I can keep them in for is four hours, and even then, its horrible!

They make my eyes so dry and each time I wake up they're stuck together with gunky stuff.

Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone here where hard contacts and if so how long did it take you to get used to them?

thanks,
I'm assuming you're using hard contacts because you can't wear soft ones for some reason?
Reply 2
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
I'm assuming you're using hard contacts because you can't wear soft ones for some reason?

yes, I have an eye condition which requires hard lenses. Apparently softs are easier to break in though :frown:
Reply 3
Yup perfectly normal just don't wear them for too long and you should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
My optician told me to break them in by having them in for two hours on the first day, then four hours the next couple of days, then six hours the day after that, then eight and so on. Keep them clean and give your eyes a rest every now and then.
Reply 5
You pretty much have to build up your wearing time slowly. If they hurt too much take them out though, just make sure that you aren't pushing yourself too quickly because it will take some time getting used to wearing them.

Also keep some eye drops with you at all times. I get dry eyes from them too, especially when I'm in rooms with air-con or when the radiator is on too high.
Reply 6
Original post by BlackMagicV
My optician told me to break them in by having them in for two hours on the first day, then four hours the next couple of days, then six hours the day after that, then eight and so on. Keep them clean and give your eyes a rest every now and then.

Thanks, I've been doing that, I'm nearly 2 weeks in but can only keep them in for 4 max :frown: I'll keep going though :smile:

Original post by Annie__x
Also keep some eye drops with you at all times. I get dry eyes from them too, especially when I'm in rooms with air-con or when the radiator is on too high.

That's a good idea, is there any particular type you'd recommend?
Original post by mickey27
Thanks, I've been doing that, I'm nearly 2 weeks in but can only keep them in for 4 max :frown: I'll keep going though :smile:

That's a good idea, is there any particular type you'd recommend?

Look for eye drops designed for contact lens wearers. Some are not suitable

Quick Reply

Latest