The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by buzzlogic
10 PMID papers, 5+ non PMID
No contest! Well done buddy!
Original post by morphdoc
Last year, one of my friends got interview at cambridge, but not for Thames. Other friend otherway round. they are looking for slightly different people imo.
Yeah I spoke to a guy who left George's last year and got onto a vascular AFP programme at Imperial and he said he got rejected from Cambridge when he applied too. Also spoke to a guy I know doing the virology AFP programme at the Royal Free and he put things in perspective for me too. We'll see on Friday!

Original post by Medicine Man
The Thames application process was very specific and we were all aware of which bits gained credit and which bits didnt (I don't know how the Cambridge one was as I didn't look at it) but point is they are both looking for different things at least on the application form, and you may be what Thames are looking for - the Thames application system may play to your strengths. We'll find out on Friday anyway - hopefully it goes well! :smile:
True true. In some aspects I feel that my application was geared towards Thames from the outset but I wouldn't have applied to Cambridge if I didn't want to get onto any of the programmes there too. It's a shame I can't request feedback but nevermind. Good luck to you too for Friday!

Original post by Isometrix
Unlucky man, thought you had quite an impressive portfolio too. Wouldn't even want to think what the portfolios of people who got interviews look like :eek:

Here's hoping you hear something positive from Thames.
There's nothing more I could have done so in some respect I have no regrets yet it's a bit of a blow knowing my best wasn't good enough to get shortlisted! I don't have 10 PMID papers though!!

Well done to all of you with interviews!
Reply 182
Original post by Feynman'sBongo

Academic: First decile and First Class Honours in intercalated BSc. Triple distinction in pre-clinical years and distinction, distinction & merit in penultimate year.

Research: No PMID publications, 1 non-PMID publication. 2 audits and 1 systematic review (first author; submitted). 3 oral presentations (national and international) and 2 national posters.

Prizes and Awards: Full scholarship for intercalated BSc. 2 first place prizes for oral presentations (student conferences, however).

Publications: 1 textbook (joint 1st author) commissioned, written and for publication in mid-2015.

Teaching: Founder of successful peer-education programme now in its 5th year. Teaching consistently for the same amount of time and various lectures and seminars delivered. Organised a large regional conference.

Chairman of the medical research society; various previous positions on national and local committees.

Hope this helps!

To both buzzlogic and you: those are very impressive credentials. No doubt the competition for AFP's must be high. Good luck with the interviews!
Reply 183
Original post by i'm no superman
Yeah I spoke to a guy who left George's last year and got onto a vascular AFP programme at Imperial and he said he got rejected from Cambridge when he applied too. Also spoke to a guy I know doing the virology AFP programme at the Royal Free and he put things in perspective for me too. We'll see on Friday!

True true. In some aspects I feel that my application was geared towards Thames from the outset but I wouldn't have applied to Cambridge if I didn't want to get onto any of the programmes there too. It's a shame I can't request feedback but nevermind. Good luck to you too for Friday!

There's nothing more I could have done so in some respect I have no regrets yet it's a bit of a blow knowing my best wasn't good enough to get shortlisted! I don't have 10 PMID papers though!!

Well done to all of you with interviews!

What's your decile ranking/iBSc class? Perhaps there was a certain cut-off there. Anyway, best of luck for the London AFP. Hope it works out for you!
Has anyone heard from the Northern Deanery/Newcastle yet????!!!
Original post by ohcm
What's your decile ranking/iBSc class? Perhaps there was a certain cut-off there. Anyway, best of luck for the London AFP. Hope it works out for you!
41/43 (3rd), 1st class honours in Neuroscience (intercalated BSc), x2 merits, 1 PMID first author publication, x 1 published abstract, x5 international/national poster presentations, x1 international oral platform presentation, 3 years anatomy demonstrator teaching experience, various elected SU roles blah blah etc.
Reply 186
Original post by Irishmed12
Has anyone heard from the Northern Deanery/Newcastle yet????!!!

Not yet! But the interview dates have been pushed back to December so I assume they're running a little behind.
Reply 187
How many interview dates are there for each deanery and how many candidates are interviewed per position. Is it usually one interview day?
41/43 (3rd), 1st class honours in Neuroscience (intercalated BSc), x2 merits, 1 PMID first author publication, x 1 published abstract, x5 international/national poster presentations, x1 international oral platform presentation, 3 years anatomy demonstrator teaching experience, various elected SU roles blah blah etc.

Wow, I am very similar (tho 1st decile), but 3rd author paper only, and I got interview at Cambridge! I guess my white box answers were better??
Reply 189
Anyone know where we can find info on what the interviews at Cambridge are going to be like?

Floundering in the dark at the moment!

how did you do the 3 years anatomy demonstrator teaching experience when you are still a student?
Reply 191
Hey guys:

Any1 heard from Thames yet?

Fingers crossed!
I just got the interview for Thames! Booked to be interviewed on homeground!

FPAS been successful: interview in Cambridge and London!
Thames interview, too! Went for the UCL slot on the 28th.

Cambridge Monday, London Friday. Tough week...
Original post by Feynman'sBongo
Thames interview, too! Went for the UCL slot on the 28th.

Cambridge Monday, London Friday. Tough week...

Exactly the same here.... busy week, big pint on the Friday!
Reply 195
Yep interview offer here too. Yay!

Any1 heard from west midlands?
Reply 196
8th of Jan interview here, Any1 else? Hoping to get west midlands as well so the interviews will be within a few days of eachother.
Shortlisted for an interview for Thames AFP!!
Thames interview here too - opted to do it on home ground too (17th Dec). I only ranked 13/127 jobs though so I'm not keeping my hopes high about being offered a job.

Well done to everyone who has one too and to those who don't, hopefully the remainder of the AFP application /FP application process goes to plan! :smile:
Original post by Medicine Man
Thames interview here too - opted to do it on home ground too (17th Dec). I only ranked 13/127 jobs though so I'm not keeping my hopes high about being offered a job.

Well done to everyone who has one too and to those who don't, hopefully the remainder of the AFP application /FP application process goes to plan! :smile:
Nice one! I opted to go to Imperial for the interview on 11th December.

I didn't want to do it before SJT or leave it till after Christmas at King's.

Latest

Trending

Trending