The Student Room Group

Scottish Medicine Applicants 2015

Since our qualification system is > the rest, its about time we got an applicant thread that isnt swamped with A* questions and all this UMS bull****.

So guys, wheres your ideal place? Hows the PS coming along? Discuss!

Scroll to see replies

I am not doing well, gap year is most likely. Got AAAAB so at least I can get in but the B in Chemistry hurts me badly. Did so **** in UKCAT but I expected that, really didn't work for it at all, and it came back to bite me with 615. so yeah, ill go cure ebola in my gap year or something and then I might get a interview
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bromaldehyde
I am not doing well, gap year is most likely. Got AAAAB so at least I can get in but the B in Chemistry hurts me badly. Did so **** in UKCAT but I expected that, really didn't work for it at all, and it came back to bite me with 615. so yeah, ill go cure ebola in my gap year or something and then I might get a interview

Ah, tough position then. Try your best to ace those Advanced Highers and youll be in a great position if you need a gap year!
I messed up my highers. Got ABBBC. But still going for it with Keele, Exeter and Leicester. They don't look at Highers. So thought it's worth a shot.

I have 1/A's for intermediates/standard grades. Predicted AAA for AH. Just managed to convince my teachers I can do it! Hopefully a good PS. Still to sit Ukcat.

Let's see how it goes. Lol.
I think it is a real shame Scottish unis don't consider AH for med. I know they base offers on a much lower grade in 6th year (except glasgow) but it really sucks that it's highers or nothing. I'm doing 3AH plus one higher this year...
Sub
Reply 6
I got AAAAB in my highers last year and AB advance Highers this year plus one new higher at A. On a gap year no offers last year :frown: . not too sure where to apply as i didnt sit 3 AH in 6th year :s-smilie: do any universities look badly on this?
Original post by Alex_96
I got AAAAB in my highers last year and AB advance Highers this year plus one new higher at A. On a gap year no offers last year :frown: . not too sure where to apply as i didnt sit 3 AH in 6th year :s-smilie: do any universities look badly on this?

As far as I know they don't look badly on this. The offer usually is based on two AH. So technically if everything else goes well with all your application you should receive an unconditional. But as with everyone nothing is guaranteed even if you meet the minimum requirements.

Just make sure you stay busy this year so you can build on your personal statement and interview skills.
Original post by Alex_96

For all Scottish universities, 2AH +1H in sixth year is perfectly acceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by cannotdecide
As far as I know they don't look badly on this. The offer usually is based on two AH. So technically if everything else goes well with all your application you should receive an unconditional. But as with everyone nothing is guaranteed even if you meet the minimum requirements.

Just make sure you stay busy this year so you can build on your personal statement and interview skills.

Original post by Asklepios

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have volunteering and work experience for this year just about secured. Hopefully this year's application will be stronger with a better ukcat , thanks for the reply!

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, but the academic score will be lowered due to not having 3 Advanced Highers and having one at a B level. (According to aberdeen + dundee admissions tutors)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pennyarcade
True, but the academic score will be lowered due to not having 3 Advanced Highers and having one at a B level. (According to aberdeen + dundee admissions tutors)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't know much about Aberdeen but I understand the rest score achieved grades higher than predicted grades.

If you spoke to the admissions people then you must have updated info I guess
Reply 12
Thanks very much for sharing these links. Will definitely check this out.. http://bdrush.com/
Question about personal statement. Fit in the character limit but frustratingly don't fit the line requirement. Is it ok not to have a line break for new paragraphs ?
Question about personal statement. Fit in the character limit but frustratingly don't fit the line requirement. Is it ok not to have a line break for new paragraphs ?

Obviously it looks better with a line break. But people do continue without one. I might have to do that too. Still trying to cut down/re word. Lol

Yes, this is completely fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Obviously it looks better with a line break. But people do continue without one. I might have to do that too. Still trying to cut down/re word. Lol

Yes, this is completely fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank **** was literally about to cry
Last minute filling in ucas form ...

If I want the free tution to I have to say I will be applying for student finance ? Is that what that means ?
Last minute filling in ucas form ...

If I want the free tution to I have to say I will be applying for student finance ? Is that what that means ?

Yeah, put SAAS

Posted from TSR Mobile
I messed up my highers. Got ABBBC. But still going for it with Keele, Exeter and Leicester. They don't look at Highers. So thought it's worth a shot.

I have 1/A's for intermediates/standard grades. Predicted AAA for AH. Just managed to convince my teachers I can do it! Hopefully a good PS. Still to sit Ukcat.

Let's see how it goes. Lol.

Without sounding harsh, do you really think it is wise to apply to medicine with those higher grades?
Even of you do get in (I highly doubt those universities dont look at highers), how do you plan on coping with the work when you cant get As at higher?

I'm sorry, but someone had to say it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending