The Student Room Group

What's an apprenticeship like?

I have no idea which category to put this thread in so I took a guess.

About 2 years ago I was deciding whether to do an apprenticeship or go to college and do a BTEC course. Anyway I chose to go to college. Right now I'm on my 2nd year of college. I must say I am enjoying college a lot, I like my course and made friends surprisingly, I don't get bullied so everything's good. However a part of me wonders whether I should've done apprenticeship instead because you earn money.

So I want people doing an apprentice between the ages of 16-18 to answer these questions.

What are the hours like?
What do the other people treat you like?
How much do get paid a week?
Are they people the same age as you are is everyone a lot older?
What kind of jobs do you do?
Is it easy to talk to people?
How long are breaks?
Is the work hard?
How different is it to school?
Do you like doing an apprenticeship?
If not why?

You can add other things if you want.
Thanks for your time.
Tbh it depends what apprentaship you do, do u have an idea ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nightgirl

About 2 years ago I was deciding whether to do an apprenticeship or go to college and do a BTEC course. Anyway I chose to go to college. Right now I'm on my 2nd year of college. I must say I am enjoying college a lot, I like my course and made friends surprisingly, I don't get bullied so everything's good. However a part of me wonders whether I should've done apprenticeship instead because you earn money.

So I want people doing an apprentice between the ages of 16-18 to answer these questions.

What are the hours like?
How long are breaks?
Is the work hard?
If not why?

Thanks for your time.

I'm on an accountancy apprenticeship so will answer your questions:

What are the hours like? --- Flexi time but generally you do 7.5 hours a day
What do the other people treat you like? --- Like any other employee. You're part of the team and that's how you're treated.
How much do get paid a week? --- More than if I was at Uni.
Are they people the same age as you are is everyone a lot older? --- The other apprentices are my age. Other than apprentices there are a few my age but most are older.
What kind of jobs do you do? --- Prepare accounts & tax returns, and assist with audits.
Is it easy to talk to people? --- Yes, it's just like any other office job.
How long are breaks? --- 1 hour lunch but you don't have to take the full hour.
Is the work hard? --- Depends on the accounts job, some are easy some are hard.
How different is it to school? --- Very different. You're basically working a full time job but will attend college once a week.
Do you like doing an apprenticeship? --- Yes.
If not why? --- N/A!
Reply 3
The whole range of available apprenticeships is so varied that it could range from being used as a tea boy and rubbing rag to a high quality apprenticeship such as would be available for example via the Royal Navy or a major blue chip company. What did you have in mind?
Original post by nightgirl

What are the hours like?
How long are breaks?
Is the work hard?
If not why?

Thanks for your time.

You can do an apprenticeship at 18 if you think uni isn't for you- there are quite a few aimed at those finishing 6th form/college. The only downside is that if your from a low income family whilst if you went to uni you would get more than enough money to move out, you would be unlikely to when doing an apprenticeship. The typical pay is £2.68 per hour until you are 19 although some places are more generous.

What it's like depends on the sector- I met two people doing office based apprenticeships over the summer. Both were the only apprentice in their office, they did normal working days 9-5 with an hour for lunch 4 days a week, with a 5th day in college. They were basically doing jobs, so nothing like school where your in a classroom and the teacher leads, here they had responsibilities and expectations and an office desk the same as the other staff members.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending