The Student Room Group

Is it pointless doing an apprenticeship if I know I want to go to uni within the next

Hi! For context, I finished sixth form in June 2023. I decided last year that I didn't want to apply to uni yet as I'm still not where I want to be mentally, socially etc. when I go.

I've been working at a supermarket since December, and while I like working there, and I was grateful to them for taking me on after an unsuccessful work search, I don't get nearly enough hours. I'm on a 7.5 hour contract, and over the next several weeks, I'm only going to be working 8 hours. Initially, I didn't really mind not making much money or working many hours because I also want to take this time to pursue my own interests and enjoy myself, but the job centre has wanted me to bump up my hours either by finding other employment or additional employment (i'm on Universal Credit). I've been job hunting just to satisfy them, but I guess I also want more money.

Additionally, I'm not completely happy there because I don't feel like I fit in. I've always been pretty socially awkward, and the best way to explain it is that I relate a lot to the social experiences of autistic people (though I've never been tested or diagnosed so I wouldn't like to describe myself as autistic). Anyway, while this has been a good experience for the past few months, and I've mostly settled into the job, I kind of feel like there's not much point in staying there if I can go to do something else.

The job centre asked me to go to a job fair yesterday, and it made me realise maybe it's worth doing an apprenticeship in something. It'd probably be something in the education sector, even though I don't seem like the type who would be good with kids. I applied for some apprenticeships in the past (a couple of early years ones and a secondary school teaching assistant one) but I decided not to attend the interviews for most of them because I thought that I wouldn't be able to handle the stress of studying and stuff again, plus I figured everyone would find it ridiculous if I went for anything like that because I don't think I'm perceived as being 'good with kids'.

That said, I don't know if there's much point in doing an apprenticeship if I know that I want to go to uni in the foreseeable future, and if I know what I want to do at uni. I know I probably want to be a teacher in the future, either secondary school English or primary. I'm not sure if doing a teaching assistant apprenticeship or an early years apprenticeship would be useful or useless if I want to be a teacher.

I'm not that knowledgeable about apprenticeships because I never thought I'd be interested in doing one. So, if anyone has any advice regarding my questions, I'd really appreciate it.
Original post by mx-person
Hi! For context, I finished sixth form in June 2023. I decided last year that I didn't want to apply to uni yet as I'm still not where I want to be mentally, socially etc. when I go.
I've been working at a supermarket since December, and while I like working there, and I was grateful to them for taking me on after an unsuccessful work search, I don't get nearly enough hours. I'm on a 7.5 hour contract, and over the next several weeks, I'm only going to be working 8 hours. Initially, I didn't really mind not making much money or working many hours because I also want to take this time to pursue my own interests and enjoy myself, but the job centre has wanted me to bump up my hours either by finding other employment or additional employment (i'm on Universal Credit). I've been job hunting just to satisfy them, but I guess I also want more money.
Additionally, I'm not completely happy there because I don't feel like I fit in. I've always been pretty socially awkward, and the best way to explain it is that I relate a lot to the social experiences of autistic people (though I've never been tested or diagnosed so I wouldn't like to describe myself as autistic). Anyway, while this has been a good experience for the past few months, and I've mostly settled into the job, I kind of feel like there's not much point in staying there if I can go to do something else.
The job centre asked me to go to a job fair yesterday, and it made me realise maybe it's worth doing an apprenticeship in something. It'd probably be something in the education sector, even though I don't seem like the type who would be good with kids. I applied for some apprenticeships in the past (a couple of early years ones and a secondary school teaching assistant one) but I decided not to attend the interviews for most of them because I thought that I wouldn't be able to handle the stress of studying and stuff again, plus I figured everyone would find it ridiculous if I went for anything like that because I don't think I'm perceived as being 'good with kids'.
That said, I don't know if there's much point in doing an apprenticeship if I know that I want to go to uni in the foreseeable future, and if I know what I want to do at uni. I know I probably want to be a teacher in the future, either secondary school English or primary. I'm not sure if doing a teaching assistant apprenticeship or an early years apprenticeship would be useful or useless if I want to be a teacher.
I'm not that knowledgeable about apprenticeships because I never thought I'd be interested in doing one. So, if anyone has any advice regarding my questions, I'd really appreciate it.

It would definitely be worth looking at apprenticeships, you get paid and gain actual experience while studying, whereas with uni you would only get the theory. It will definitely help with progressing and you will most likely have a job at the end of the apprenticeship unlike uni you would have to find a job.

You wouldn't get into student loan debt and have to pay x amount back when earning over a certain amount for the next 30 years before the debt is removed. Yes uni might be a different experience to have but you could always look as doing uni later on if needed which could be distance learning and paid for by your employer.
Have you had any work experience in a school? If not then that is definitely where I would start. If you want to get on an apprenticeship or teaching degree then you need something to talk about at interview and to be sure it's what you want. So I would go along to your old primary school and say you'd like to listen to children read a couple of afternoons a week, you'll probably need to do a DBS before you can start but they will organise that if they agree to you helping. Then go to your old secondary school and ask if you can volunteer to help in the subject you would most want to teach in one day a week. This will give you a bit of an idea if this is what you want to do and what age group you prefer.
If it is what yo want to do then I would apply to apprenticeships and university and see what you get. I'd imagine that TA apprenticeships are probably pretty poorly paid, but it will be good experience whatever you decide to do afterwards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending