The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

3 or 4 A Levels?

I'm thinking of applying to read Economics at the LSE. At AS Level I received 4 A grades, in Maths, Physics, Business Studies and History. This year I have been predicted A*A*A*A*, however I am thinking of dropping Business Studies. Although I enjoy the subject, I'm anxious that an extra A Level might prevent me from achieving my predictions.
Over the summer I managed to secure some financial work experience at a couple of Investment Banks, which I hoped would support the application. Given the competition for places, would it be a disadvantage if I applied with only three A Levels?
Reply 1
Original post by Daniel-97
I'm thinking of applying to read Economics at the LSE. At AS Level I received 4 A grades, in Maths, Physics, Business Studies and History. This year I have been predicted A*A*A*A*, however I am thinking of dropping Business Studies. Although I enjoy the subject, I'm anxious that an extra A Level might prevent me from achieving my predictions.
Over the summer I managed to secure some financial work experience at a couple of Investment Banks, which I hoped would support the application. Given the competition for places, would it be a disadvantage if I applied with only three A Levels?

Business Studies isn't the most respected subject, as opposed to your other three, so no, dropping it wouldn't seriously disadvantage your application. However, the lack of Further Mathematics isn't that good considering how quantitative the Economics at LSE is. Furthermore, the majority of the applicants will have it, at least to the AS level, so that puts you into an even more troublesome situation. Overall, to maximize your chances, I would recommend dropping Business Studies and picking up AS Further Mathematics. But if you decide to do just the first, it would not make nor break the game for you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Daniel-97

Your work experience won't be a benefit or disadvantage for uni entrance, this isn't a job application.

You wouldn't be disadvantaged by the fact that you're only going to do 3 out of those 4 A levels you've chosen, but you will be because you've not taken further maths at all, which i assume most successful applicants have taken to some degree when it is offered to them. Also, it depends on your module scores, especially in maths as well as your PS.
Reply 3
Thanks benq and Mike_123 for your advice. Unfortunately my school could not offer Further Maths, however this has been mentioned in my teacher reference. Should I still apply to LSE, or would it be a waste of time?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Without Further Maths, I honestly don't think you have high chances of getting in for the BSc Economics at LSE. However, why not self-teach it?
Reply 5
Original post by benq
Without Further Maths, I honestly don't think you have high chances of getting in for the BSc Economics at LSE. However, why not self-teach it?

Thanks for your help, I'll definitely consider self-teaching. I was wondering whether there be any chance of LSE offering special circumstances, I've read about other students gaining places without FM.

My other University choices are Cambridge, UCL, Warwick and Manchester. Would the lack of a Further Maths A-Level be equally as disadvantageous at these institutions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending