The Student Room Group

Operating Department Practice 2015

Scroll to see replies

Thank you sriaz!
Reply 181
You're welcome Rebecca!
You DO NOT need a degree to move up the pay bands! One of my friends is a principal ODP and doesn't have a degree! It's about experience dedication and professionalism! And think very carefully about wanting to move up the pay bands! Moving up a pay band means more responsibility and without experience and knowledge that's a lot to take on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Glad it was helpful! :smile: Very good point from Sriaz about different theatres having different levels of stress, I actually hadn't considered that!

Original post by Pinklemonade01
You DO NOT need a degree to move up the pay bands! One of my friends is a principal ODP and doesn't have a degree! It's about experience dedication and professionalism! And think very carefully about wanting to move up the pay bands! Moving up a pay band means more responsibility and without experience and knowledge that's a lot to take on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How long has your friend been an ODP? While I wouldn't understand why not having a degree would stop you moving up, I am just thinking that as the degree course hasn't been around long, that may be why they were able to move up? If that makes sense, it's difficult to word haha. From what I was told at an interview the other day though, not having a degree should not make a difference
Reply 184

It's about the hospital you work at. Wherever your friend works, perhaps it's not necessary to have a degree to apply for a senior position. That is why I said in my post that career opportunities vary according to hospital.
I wouldn't really worry about moving up
Decide whether theatres is really what you want because your limited to where else you can work as an ODP. If your a nurse you can work anywhere... Including theatres. You really have to have your heart in it to be an ODP. No my friend has moved to different trusts but has also had plenty of opportunities to do extra training with the nhs, I wouldn't run before you can jump
I'm a band 2 in theatre and that can be challenging so I'm concerntrating on working towards my band 5 I haven't even thought about being a band 6-7 yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elliebeanie
You won't be able to do a degree at your uni if they only offer the diphe course. How ever, once qualified you can top it up to a degree if you want to. This will of corse mean training somewhere else though and it will cost you some money I think. It's not necessary to do unless you want to go on to do a masters - I don't think you can do masters with a diphe but that's more just me assuming than actually knowing! X

Hi, I have applied for April (2015) intake which is diploma. However on University of Leicester's website it says that "it will be delivered as a BSc (Hons), programme from September 2015". That's what its confusing me, whether they will allow me to do Degree without paying any additional cost later on.
I wouldn't really worry about moving up
Decide whether theatres is really what you want because your limited to where else you can work as an ODP. If your a nurse you can work anywhere... Including theatres. You really have to have your heart in it to be an ODP. No my friend has moved to different trusts but has also had plenty of opportunities to do extra training with the nhs, I wouldn't run before you can jump
I'm a band 2 in theatre and that can be challenging so I'm concerntrating on working towards my band 5 I haven't even thought about being a band 6-7 yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya, I have been offered a place too, I'm trying to apply for the bursary but not too sure whether the course runs for more than 30 weeks or not? Do you know anything about that?
Oh.. That is confusing!! I would just ring them if I were you, they'll be happy to help and they'll know who you need to talk to :smile: x

edit: oh blah mobiles. That was in reply to the diphe/jobs course comment!
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyone been able to register with SN@P to do the NHS Numeracy test revision for West London?
Hello lovely people,

I have recently attended an interview at Edge Hill for the ODP course, September start. I think I did OK, but you never know huh....

Is there anyone else on here who attended 28th Jan? Have you heard back yet?

For anyone joining Edge Hill, how long did it take for admissions to reply to you? I was told "any time before May". Don't know if my ticker can hold out that long!

Thanks,

Ben.
Original post by ODP-wanna-be
Hello lovely people,

I have recently attended an interview at Edge Hill for the ODP course, September start. I think I did OK, but you never know huh....

Is there anyone else on here who attended 28th Jan? Have you heard back yet?

For anyone joining Edge Hill, how long did it take for admissions to reply to you? I was told "any time before May". Don't know if my ticker can hold out that long!

Thanks,

Ben.

I had an interview back in December for September intake and found out 4 days later but someone else on the same interview found out 4 weeks later so it depends x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princess_L_
I had an interview back in December for September intake and found out 4 days later but someone else on the same interview found out 4 weeks later so it depends x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Yeah I heard it was a little inconsistent. I hope both replies were positive!

Hopefully see you in September mate.

Ben.
Original post by ODP-wanna-be
Hi,

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Yeah I heard it was a little inconsistent. I hope both replies were positive!

Hopefully see you in September mate.

Ben.

Yes both successful and both firm choices. Hope it's good news for you! x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 194
Hi everyone,

Is anyone applying for Uni of Leicester in Sept 2015?

I finished my Access course last June but I'm not sure if I've got enough credits to apply. I know it's 280 UCAS points but how many credits at Merit/Distinction does that add up too/

Thanks
Yay !!!! Starting Edge hill Uni Ormskirk Campus April 2015, had my interview on the 19th Dec 2014 and found out on the 12th Jan I had an unconditional place. Don't give up hope whoever is waiting on an answer, no news is good news. Is there anyone on here starting at the same time as me ;-p
Hi I was wondering if you can help me.
I'm new to this forum. I have an interview in odp for bcu in march. I'm really nervous what the maths test and literacy will be based. What type of question will they ask on one to one basis. I'm 1 week from being 9 months pregnant going as a mature student. I'm so dis - oriented. I'm started to panic. As I can't get a placement due to my condition. I need experience or help as someone to direct me how to get a contact with odp, to understand from their view. I will appreciate of any help and suggestions. :smile:
Original post by Miss little
I'm new to this forum. I have an interview in odp for bcu in march. I'm really nervous what the maths test and literacy will be based. What type of question will they ask on one to one basis. I'm 1 week from being 9 months pregnant going as a mature student. I'm so dis - oriented. I'm started to panic. As I can't get a placement due to my condition. I need experience or help as someone to direct me how to get a contact with odp, to understand from their view. I will appreciate of any help and suggestions. :smile:

Hi first thing to do is stop panicking especially in your condition :smile:. Now I have not had an interview for bcu so I am not going to try and answer what questions they will ask you. But as for placement experience I know people who have got accepted without any experience. Have you tried contacting the operating departments nearby and ask them if you can have a look around and talk to the odp's that are available to talk to, that's what I did last year, they were very helpful and their advice was invaluable. Chin up hun, always a silver lining waiting Xx
Original post by Miss little

Oh you poor thing! A friend of mine has just a baby, she had a crazy baby brain so I hope you aren't as confused as she was all the time haha. Just relax, you'll be brilliant I am sure :smile:

I haven't had an interview for bcu but the maths tests for most universities most revolve around percentages, fractions, decimals, adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing so make sure you've got all of that down well. The other unis I have had tests for have told you in advance what the literacy test will involve so make sure you haven't missed an email or something and you could try contacting them to see if they can give you any idea what it involves - they might not but there's no harm in trying!

For contacting an ODP, send an email (or take the more speedy route of a phone call!) to the DTC or operating department of your local hospital (there should be a number available on the website). Explain your situation to them and ask if you could be put into contact with an ODP to ask a few questions. They are a really friendly bunch, I am sure they'll be happy to talk to you and might even show you around!
Oh and I got an offer for Surrey today so I am so pleased I know I am definitely going somewhere in September yay! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest