The Student Room Group

Best uni for me

H I'm new to this so bare with me, I'm currently studying my A-levels and I'm interested in doing a psychology degree at uni. I'm doing biology, psychology, history and philosophy & ethics at A-level. Which out of those do you think I should drop after AS if i was to do a psychology degree?
Also everyone is talking about what uni they're going to and I was thinking Birmingham uni but it doesn't do a sandwich course. I was just wondering which uni you'd recommend to do a psychology degree??? Taking both the educational and social side into account because I want be satisfied with what I'm doing and I want good lecturers but I don't want to be going to uni in a boring city with nothing to do in my spare time and no where to party and shop!! & would it be best to do a sandwich year with a placement or is that not necessary?? And one last question, what would you say is the best field of psychology to go into ?? Taking pay, how enjoyable it is and job vacancies into account.

Many thanks :smile:
Original post by Rowie97
H I'm new to this so bare with me, I'm currently studying my A-levels and I'm interested in doing a psychology degree at uni. I'm doing biology, psychology, history and philosophy & ethics at A-level. Which out of those do you think I should drop after AS if i was to do a psychology degree?
Also everyone is talking about what uni they're going to and I was thinking Birmingham uni but it doesn't do a sandwich course. I was just wondering which uni you'd recommend to do a psychology degree??? Taking both the educational and social side into account because I want be satisfied with what I'm doing and I want good lecturers but I don't want to be going to uni in a boring city with nothing to do in my spare time and no where to party and shop!! & would it be best to do a sandwich year with a placement or is that not necessary?? And one last question, what would you say is the best field of psychology to go into ?? Taking pay, how enjoyable it is and job vacancies into account.

Many thanks :smile:

i'll try to do the best I can to help you, my mum has a PhD in Counselling Psychology so I know about the different types of courses she lectures on...
1) I would wait until the end of the year to make a decision about which subject to drop, Psychology, Biology and either History or Philosophy would be a good combination. Really it depends upon what you find more enjoyable and which you are better at. Philosophy could be interesting as it is involved with matters of ethics and morals which is a sub-section of psychology, but again it doesn't matter what you choose.
2) Bath and UCL have very prestigious psychology departments but both are more focussed on neuroscience / biology. It depends if you want to go into either clinical, neuro or counselling. Each course is different so it's VERY important that you check the course content before hand!
3) A sandwich degree is not necessary but it could give you an advantage when it comes to applying for a master's, this is something you need to find more information on.
4) It's impossible to say which field of psychology is best as each has it's pros and cons. Pay is a very bad reason to select particular field because it varies from job to job so you need to think about what you enjoy more. Clinical psychologists tend to work for the NHS while counselling psychologists often have their own practices. Neuropsychology is also quite clinically heavy so hospital type jobs are a possibility.
5) Before you can council anyone you need a PhD which is accredited by the British Psychological Society so you really ned to factor this in.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Okay thanks, you've really helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending