The Student Room Group

What to universities actually look at?

I'm just wondering from people who have gotten into uni, what do they actually look at on student applications? Because I finished my exams a couple weeks ago and didn't do as I hoped. Not for lack of trying though- I put hours upon hours into revision but my mental health at the time got the best of me and I ended up doing awful in the actual exams. Even though I applied to a foundation year so the entry requirements are low and even with my bad grades I'm not totally unlikely to lose out on a place, I'm scared the Uni I applied to will turn me down cause my grades won't be as high as they should have been. The terms of the offer they gave me was to just reach the entry requirements but I'm still scared. Any advice or help anyone could give? Thanks. Wish anyone who'd waiting for uni responses the best :biggrin:
Hi @miztwizted
I just finished my first year of uni and I got here through clearing. After exams, there is always the feeling of dread that you did poorly but at the end of the day you did your best that day so don't beat yourself up on it too much. Results day is so hectic and the outcomes can be so different than what you would expect. On my results day last year, I had to call clearing but I'm still doing the course that I want to do. I would say don't be too worried about outcomes because there is always going to be a way through it. Clearing is a great option if you feel you did crap and might need another alternative.

Start preparing for clearing, get the Uni clearing phone numbers, your clearing I.D., Ucas I.D., and the courses you'd want to call for clearing just to be prepared if it does come to that a bit closer to results day. Also, one thing about foundation years is you can transfer universities after the year if you think the Uni is not right for you. One thing you did ask was what universities look at, but at this point when you've been given an offer all that matters is you meet their requirements which is getting the grades. I would say, don't be too scared but I feel we can't help but feel that way especially when we don't know what's going to happen.
Best of luck! :biggrin:
Hessy.

Original post by miztwizted
I'm just wondering from people who have gotten into uni, what do they actually look at on student applications? Because I finished my exams a couple weeks ago and didn't do as I hoped. Not for lack of trying though- I put hours upon hours into revision but my mental health at the time got the best of me and I ended up doing awful in the actual exams. Even though I applied to a foundation year so the entry requirements are low and even with my bad grades I'm not totally unlikely to lose out on a place, I'm scared the Uni I applied to will turn me down cause my grades won't be as high as they should have been. The terms of the offer they gave me was to just reach the entry requirements but I'm still scared. Any advice or help anyone could give? Thanks. Wish anyone who'd waiting for uni responses the best :biggrin:
Original post by UniOfLincolnStudent
Also, one thing about foundation years is you can transfer universities after the year if you think the Uni is not right for you.

That's not correct. Foundation years are not standardised and are designed for students to progress to the degree course at the same university. Other unis might/might not accept a foundation year from another uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending