The Student Room Group

4 A-levels & offers

I'm in year 13 and doing 3 A-levels, and I already have an A-level in Maths from last year. So in total I will have 4 A-levels by the end of year 13. For the course I want to study at uni, I've seen you usually need AAA/AAB grades. However, if I'm offering 4 A-levels instead of 3, will I be given a lower offer? For example, instead of AAB, will I be given an offer of ABBB?
Original post by CA$H KRAZE
I'm in year 13 and doing 3 A-levels, and I already have an A-level in Maths from last year. So in total I will have 4 A-levels by the end of year 13. For the course I want to study at uni, I've seen you usually need AAA/AAB grades. However, if I'm offering 4 A-levels instead of 3, will I be given a lower offer? For example, instead of AAB, will I be given an offer of ABBB?

Of course not. They want to see you can consistently achieve A grades in the 2/3 subjects in the offers and there's no budging on that. Taking 4 subjects at A2 will not lower an offer.
Sometimes unis do offer a grade lower if you have a 4th a level. Check with the uni :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Pectorac
Of course not. They want to see you can consistently achieve A grades in the 2/3 subjects in the offers and there's no budging on that. Taking 4 subjects at A2 will not lower an offer.

Completing 4 A-levels requires more work though, so your overall grades are likely to be lower, compared to if you only do 3 A-levels, where you have less work to complete, and less content to learn...
Reply 4
Yeah, but unis (oxbridge is one notable example) say they'd much rather you have 3 excellent grades than 4 good grades, or even 2 excellent and 2 good. It's not really worth it unless you really want to do 4. I'm doing 4 (sorta) and got the typical offer from bath A*AB/AAA

Quick Reply

Latest