The Student Room Group

Bad GCSE's should I apply to top uni's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mk96
It's threads like these that prevent me from visiting TSR more often...

Well we're sure missing out if all your posts could be as good as this :cool:
Original post by Loola1234
I did really badly in my GCSE's ( 2 A*'S, 9 A's and 2 B's), is there any point in applying to Durham?

With those terrible grades it would be best for you to just scrap the idea of going to any university and just sign up for a job in Mcdonalds :rolleyes:
Original post by missfats
Stop with this BS, these are fantastic grades and he can get into any course even medicine (with amazing as/alevels).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, they're good grades - not fantastic grades. I never at any point said that he couldn't study whatever he wanted to but don't sugar coat it and pretend they're fantastic when there are people who get all As/A*s or even all A*s
Original post by 08Mercyf
Those grades are not terrible at all but lets say you were predicted all A*s at GCSE and you came out with GCSE grades like the OP you will be heart broken. I do agree with your comment but you never know what GCSE grades the Op was predicted to get. The grades that the Op got are something to be proud off so i ont know why he or she is complaining.

I was being sarcastic as one pound fish stated lol try not to take things too seriously especially when the OP asks such a ridiculous question

Original post by one pound fish
Love it when someone doesn't understand sarcasm

Haha me too it is unbelievable sometimes! :P
Original post by Teddysmith123
I was being sarcastic as one pound fish stated lol try not to take things too seriously especially when the OP asks such a ridiculous question

Haha me too it is unbelievable sometimes! :P

Either way i just stated what i said because its obvious the Op is not serious. I mean even if you were predicted all A*s at GCSE and you got grades like the Op you would still be happy. Like i said i stated what i felt was appropriate regardless of you being sarcastic or not.
Reply 45
Either way i just stated what i said because its obvious the Op is not serious. I mean even if you were predicted all A*s at GCSE and you got grades like the Op you would still be happy. Like i said i stated what i felt was appropriate regardless of you being sarcastic or not.

Nope. I was predicted 10A*1A and was slightly disappointed with 9A*2A because I genuinely felt I could have done better. That's not to say OP's grades aren't still good, but I would have been crushed if I'd gotten them because I would have felt I'd massively underachieved.
Original post by TVIO
Nope. I was predicted 10A*1A and was slightly disappointed with 9A*2A because I genuinely felt I could have done better. That's not to say OP's grades aren't still good, but I would have been crushed if I'd gotten them because I would have felt I'd massively underachieved.

Well that is you. Not everyone would feel like this.
Reply 47
Well that is you. Not everyone would feel like this.

Indeed, but I just felt your post implied that everyone would share your perspective, and I pointed out I disagreed. That's all.
Original post by TVIO
Indeed, but I just felt your post implied that everyone would share your perspective, and I pointed out I disagreed. That's all.

Of course not every one would agree with me.
thank you, the problem is I go to a grammar school and a lot of my teachers have told me how disappointed they're in my gcse's and how they expected me to do better

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so cheer up. Its not the end of the world.
Original post by one pound fish
Love it when someone doesn't understand sarcasm

I did say the Op's grades are good so i don't know why he or she is complaining. I just wanted to point this out in case you forgot.
thank you, the problem is I go to a grammar school and a lot of my teachers have told me how disappointed they're in my gcse's and how they expected me to do better

i go to a private school & i did awful compared to you so dont worry lmao & i'm applying to medicine next year
Original post by missfats
Funny because I only got 1 A* at gcse and I still got offer from Cambridge.

But then again I averaged out 99%.
Law ftw Cambridge ftw

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do know that the 5 As/A*s requirement fundamentally means you need at least 5 As, right? It's As OR A*s. So your offer was perfectly typical.
THEY'RE NOT BAD GCSES.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so cheer up. Its not the end of the world.

This is the kind of BS that gets you a job at McDonalds...
The only univerisites where GCSEs can have a massive impact is Oxbridge and LSE. The likes of Durham, St Andrews and UCL will look at them and prefer it if you do well. Despite Durham having a bit of reputation for their focus on GCSEs, I know a few people who had decent GCSEs and got in with a BTEC.

So no, don't be silly. I don't have fantastic GCSE grades (And when I say that I actually dont't) and will be applying to Durham, so.
(edited 9 years ago)
I did really badly in my GCSE's ( 2 A*'S, 9 A's and 2 B's), is there any point in applying to Durham?

I got 8As 3Bs at GCSE (with extenuating circumstances) and I'm still applying to Durham. I have been predicted A*A*A at A Level, but it all depends on what you're applying for. I'm applying for geography, one of Durham's most competitive courses and I'm not worried about GCSEs. Durham applications are judged holistically, just go for it. You have five other choices at the end of the day x
Original post by tanyapotter
You do know that the 5 As/A*s requirement fundamentally means you need at least 5 As, right? It's As OR A*s. So your offer was perfectly typical.

Made me so happy to read this! I thought my GCSEs would hinder my application, despite extenuation, but I feel more confident and will definitely apply post-A Level now :biggrin:

those are quite acceptable grades.
M8 if you think those grades are bad take a look at mine: bbbbccddf EFFING DISCGRACEFUL

Although I have extenuating cirucmstances, I really do not feel I have a chance in any top uni, despite getting AAAB at AS. However, I'm risking it....

But more to the point, you should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending