The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

What's it like living in Canterbury??

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sar_Grant
Hey, so I'm applying to Kent this year.. i've visited an open day and i LOVED it.

Unfortunately as we live so far away.. i could not look around Canterbury :frown:

I want to know all about it, so know I'm making the right choice :smile:

Basically im from a small town.. bit boring not much to do. In a university city i guess I'm looking for a vibrant place... not HUGE HUGE but with enough to do so i'm not bored :L

So... my questions areee...

What's the nightlife like?
The shops?
Is there a cinema?
What is there to do in Canterbury?
Is it an expensive place??
How big is it?

Thankssomuch :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a very borad question, so I'll try and answer this briefly. As with anything, one persons experiences and opinions aren't shared by everyone, so this is just my view of it!

Re: Small Town
Canterbury is classified as a city (the cathedral seals that deal) but in reality it's just a town - not an especially large one, but the residential areas sprawled out making it slightly bigger than most realise. A large proportion of the residents there consist of students. There's Uni of Kent, Canterbury Christchurch Uni (booo) and a branch of the University for Creative Arts all packed into a relatively small area. Lots of young people but of course a fair proportion of locals and in warmer months, lots of tourists(!) passing through on their to London.

Nightlife - I've made a thread here, check it out. I desperately need to update it but now I'm no longer at Kent it feels like more of a chore. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2412590

Shops - Typical high street shops, depends really what you're after. Typical shops for the typical young person. If you're really curious, a bunch are centered in town around an area known as Whitefriars by the bus station. Shops are listed on there http://www.whitefriars-canterbury.co.uk/ Plenty of other shops around too, not just limited to what you see there. Jack Wills and Primark have also set up in Canters due to the high number of students. Supermarkets are dotted around, with a Tesco Express bang in the centre and anything you might need electrical as student can be found in some of the retail parks a short bus ride out :yy:

Cinema - Yup, there's an Odeon. A minutes walk from the bus station in town, next to Chill nightclub. Four or five screens - screen 1 has a huge amount of seating but it does mean it can get a bit chilly in such a cavernous space.

Expensive - Much like the rest of the south east, it's not going to be cheap. Having said that, housing prices for student lets are fairly competitive and aren't wildly different from other uni towns in the south. As I say, lots of students therefore a big market for cheaper housing. If you're used to the north, then pubs and clubs will seem eye-wateringly expensive but again there are plenty of student deals and campus is competitively priced when taking the south as whole into account.

How big is it?
Feel like I've been over it really. Have a gander on Google Maps and compare it to your home time might give you a good idea?

Feel free to fire any more questions :smile:
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Hey, so I'm applying to Kent this year.. i've visited an open day and i LOVED it.

Unfortunately as we live so far away.. i could not look around Canterbury :frown:

I want to know all about it, so know I'm making the right choice :smile:

Basically im from a small town.. bit boring not much to do. In a university city i guess I'm looking for a vibrant place... not HUGE HUGE but with enough to do so i'm not bored :L

So... my questions areee...

What's the nightlife like?
The shops?
Is there a cinema?
What is there to do in Canterbury?
Is it an expensive place??
How big is it?

Thankssomuch :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I live near Canterbury and I think that if I didn't, I would love to go to uni of Kent. (I just want to move out for uni, so I've ruled Kent out).
Canterbury itself is definitely more of a town than a city in my opinion, but there's the older part of town by the Cathedral, then the newer part of town by the bus station.
Travel links are brilliant, and there are buses every 10 mins to Whitstable/Herne Bay/Margate for the seaside, trains to Faversham and London every half an hour and there are so many student housing areas that cost shouldn't be too much of an issue. The National Express Coach from Canterbury to London costs around £10 for a return too, so that's really accessible for the weekend, or even just the day!
Shops include TOPSHOP/TOPMAN, H&M, Zara, JD Sports, LUSH, Fenwicks... There's loads!:smile:

Clubbing wise- not amazing... there's lots of different places but let's just say some are better than others! Club Chemistry, Chill, Cuban, Brewery Tavern, Spoons (obviously!)... all of these are located within 10mins of each other. There are weekly student nights at the Cuban and events like Jäger Rocks at Brewery Tavern quite often... Jäger bombs for £1/£2!
There are loads of students in Canterbury due to Kent uni, Christchurch and UCA... plus all of the different schools in the area! Nights out in Canterbury are good fun, but there's always Maidstone Beluga bar if you get bored as well.
There are quiet parts of Canterbury as well as loud and busy parts, and it is quite picturesque in some areas! Honestly, you'll probably love it:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Champagne Supernova
It's a very borad question, so I'll try and answer this briefly. As with anything, one persons experiences and opinions aren't shared by everyone, so this is just my view of it!

Re: Small Town
Canterbury is classified as a city (the cathedral seals that deal) but in reality it's just a town - not an especially large one, but the residential areas sprawled out making it slightly bigger than most realise. A large proportion of the residents there consist of students. There's Uni of Kent, Canterbury Christchurch Uni (booo) and a branch of the University for Creative Arts all packed into a relatively small area. Lots of young people but of course a fair proportion of locals and in warmer months, lots of tourists(!) passing through on their to London.

Nightlife - I've made a thread here, check it out. I desperately need to update it but now I'm no longer at Kent it feels like more of a chore. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2412590

Shops - Typical high street shops, depends really what you're after. Typical shops for the typical young person. If you're really curious, a bunch are centered in town around an area known as Whitefriars by the bus station. Shops are listed on there http://www.whitefriars-canterbury.co.uk/ Plenty of other shops around too, not just limited to what you see there. Jack Wills and Primark have also set up in Canters due to the high number of students. Supermarkets are dotted around, with a Tesco Express bang in the centre and anything you might need electrical as student can be found in some of the retail parks a short bus ride out :yy:

Cinema - Yup, there's an Odeon. A minutes walk from the bus station in town, next to Chill nightclub. Four or five screens - screen 1 has a huge amount of seating but it does mean it can get a bit chilly in such a cavernous space.

Expensive - Much like the rest of the south east, it's not going to be cheap. Having said that, housing prices for student lets are fairly competitive and aren't wildly different from other uni towns in the south. As I say, lots of students therefore a big market for cheaper housing. If you're used to the north, then pubs and clubs will seem eye-wateringly expensive but again there are plenty of student deals and campus is competitively priced when taking the south as whole into account.

How big is it?
Feel like I've been over it really. Have a gander on Google Maps and compare it to your home time might give you a good idea?

Feel free to fire any more questions :smile:

Thanks so much the info has been really helpful :biggrin:

Other questions...hmm, just as a whole what was your experience at Kent like? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks so much the info has been really helpful :biggrin:

Other questions...hmm, just as a whole what was your experience at Kent like? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries :h:

Another very vague one! I'm really not sure how to answer that but it was enjoyable and certainly no regrets :smile:
Reply 5
Hello! Just got an unconditional offer from Kent! (I can't stop staring at my offer letter! Lol:colondollar:) Anyways, Since I'm an international student who has never visited the UK before.. I had a few questions about the Uni as well as Canterbury.. Here goes..
1. Last week, I applied for Sheffield. But after getting an offer from Kent, I'm confused! What do you guys think? Should I forget about Sheffield? I'm worried about getting a decent job after completing my masters degree since I can't stay back for more than 4 months if I don't find a job in the UK. So, in terms of job prospects, is Kent better than Sheffield?

2. Frankly, I don't care about nightlife. I'm a quiet person. I'm also looking for accommodation outside the uni. As its cheap and I'm on a strict budget. Is Kent cheaper and safer to stay, than Sheffield? What would be the rent per week on an average, in both cities?

I've applied for-
Kent - MSc in Computing and Entreprenuership (offer received)
Sheffield - MSc in Information systems management (offer pending)
(The course syllabus is more or less the same! I like both the courses equally!!)

Thank you for your time! :smile: I hope I wasn't rambling too much!!
Original post by Dee3
Hello! Just got an unconditional offer from Kent! (I can't stop staring at my offer letter! Lol:colondollar:) Anyways, Since I'm an international student who has never visited the UK before.. I had a few questions about the Uni as well as Canterbury.. Here goes..
1. Last week, I applied for Sheffield. But after getting an offer from Kent, I'm confused! What do you guys think? Should I forget about Sheffield? I'm worried about getting a decent job after completing my masters degree since I can't stay back for more than 4 months if I don't find a job in the UK. So, in terms of job prospects, is Kent better than Sheffield?

2. Frankly, I don't care about nightlife. I'm a quiet person. I'm also looking for accommodation outside the uni. As its cheap and I'm on a strict budget. Is Kent cheaper and safer to stay, than Sheffield? What would be the rent per week on an average, in both cities?

I've applied for-
Kent - MSc in Computing and Entreprenuership (offer received)
Sheffield - MSc in Information systems management (offer pending)
(The course syllabus is more or less the same! I like both the courses equally!!)

Thank you for your time! :smile: I hope I wasn't rambling too much!!

Hey there :smile:

1) Firstly, well done on receiving an offer! Comparing the two universities isn't as simple as it sounds. Firstly you need to look at the course itself - I can't say I know a lot about either but you need to make a comparison between the two. The different names suggest to me that they'll offer varying options and maybe one will help you better with future ambitions than another. Personal development is far more important to consider than the subjective notion of university rankings. Both universities are well respected with Sheffield arguably better regarded throughout the UK. However that may not be the case for your course. One thing Kent does have is a fantastic Careers Service (see their website, just Google 'Kent Careers Service' and you'll see how in-depth it is).

2. Safety - I don't know about Sheffield but the Uni of Kent/city of Canterbury held the title of safest student city a year or so ago. I'm not sure if it still does, but whatever the case it certainly is still up there and still very safe. Budgeting is slightly different. Your idea of cheap may differ from someone elses. Again, some simple Google searches should provide you with reliable quality of life statistics. As a general rule of thumb in the UK, the South-East is the most expensive place to live and it gets gradually cheaper the further north you travel (this is a generalisation). Sheffield is therefore likely to be cheaper than living in Kent. Again, I'm not sure about Sheffield but typical off-campus accommodation in Canterbury for a Kent student will range between £300-400 per month. As you are coming from abroad, the university may provide you with assistance in finding housing. :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending