The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Law University Optional Modules

I'm a university student studying law, at Kent specifically! I would really appreciate any insight or experience in the following optional modules. Do you recommend them? How easy is the module? Is the content interesting? Would law firms look at them positively? Any opinions/knowledge would be appreciated, thank you in advance!

Sports Law
Consumer Law
Forensic Science in Criminal Trials
Privacy, Data Protection and Cyber Security
Law, Literature and Film
Legal Ethics: The Skills of Lawyers and Lawyering
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm a university student studying law, at Kent specifically! I would really appreciate any insight or experience in the following optional modules. Do you recommend them? How easy is the module? Is the content interesting? Would law firms look at them positively? Any opinions/knowledge would be appreciated, thank you in advance!
Sports Law
Consumer Law
Forensic Science in Criminal Trials
Privacy, Data Protection and Cyber Security
Law, Literature and Film
Legal Ethics: The Skills of Lawyers and Lawyering

Hi there,

It is great to hear you have an interest in studying law at Kent. Although I have not studied these particular modules, as a final year law student, perhaps i can keep you some insights into studying law at Kent in general.

Are you doing law LLB? This course is normally structured so we complete our compulsory modules in 1st and 2nd year. In second year though we are permitted to choose one or two optional modules and in 3rd year we are allowed to choose whichever optional modules we fancy.

Students often choose their modules based off what they are interested in, or what they would like to go into in the future. It is okay, if you do not know at this stage what area of law you want to go into in the future, choosing a diverse range of courses may be the way forward. Since you will not have to make choices this early yet, there is plenty of time to decide throughout year 1 and year 2. From other students, I have heard that these modules are quite interesting. So if you develop an interest in these sectors, you can definitely pursue them. Unfortunately, I cannot really comment on how difficult the modules are. In law school, you will generally find that there is quite a lot of reading and essay writing that students have to do, therefore having a passion in a module may make the subject more enjoyable.

Law firms may look at your optional modules, so it really depends what type of firm you are applying to. For example if you are interested in doing commercial as a career, it may be useful to study the module company law and capitalism. However that does not mean if you choose other modules you will not get into a firm that you want, there are many other ways to demonstrate in your application your interests in specific fields, most helpfully will be work experience or any insight events that you have attended.

I hope helps, if you have any further questions about studying law at Kent I will be happy to answer them.
Chloe
University of Kent student Rep
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending