The Student Room Group

UKIP launch 'kickstarter like' campaign to get election funds

This afternoon UKIP launched a kickstarter like campaign to help get funds from ordinary supports to fund the 2015 election campaign. The target is £50,000 and it has raised almost £16,000 in just a couple of hours

Thoughts? is this a good way to raise funds, will it get people more connected with politics, is it a good contrast with rich donors by getting a mass of smaller donations? Should other parties do it
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

They can hardly go to the unions like Labour
Reply 2
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

....cough.

Can't they just use the ridiculous amount of expenses that they falsely claim to pay for the campaign? :tongue:
£23,500 now
This used to be called "joining a political party" and back in the day you would get something in return for your money, such as voting rights, rather than vague hopes and promises.

I would suggest UKIP go to their extremely wealthy, ex-Tory financial backers to get money for their election campaign.
Original post by gt459
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

....cough.

Can't they just use the ridiculous amount of expenses that they falsely claim to pay for the campaign? :tongue:

Can you show me sources of ukip fraudulently claiming ridiculous amounts of money ?
Reply 6
Original post by UtopiaofEurope
Can you show me sources of ukip fraudulently claiming ridiculous amounts of money ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2604981/Nigel-Farage-facing-expenses-probe-claims-UKIP-leader-received-60-000-EU-office-given-supporter-rent-free.html

£60,000 seems ridiculous to me.

*actually that's £10,000 more than what they want people to just give them....odd
(edited 9 years ago)

Not fraudulently, but prior to 1999, the original, non-extreme-right UKIP was resolved not to send representatives to the European Parliament on principle. Beginning in 1999, they send them, don't vote, and claim millions of pounds in expenses, ostensibly on principle, in order to highlight the Eurocrat gravy train.

It's funny that this high-minded principle involves making UKIP MEPs loads and loads of money (Farage has earned £2m from expenses alone).

That's the kind of thing that starts happening when rich, privileged Thatcherite businessmen infiltrate your party. All principle out of the window in the pursuit of private financial gain, ideally with as little work as conceivably possible. Work the little people for your profit with one hand and steal their taxes for your profit with the other.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by scrotgrot
Not fraudulently, but prior to 1999, the original, non-extreme-right UKIP was resolved not to send representatives to the European Parliament on principle. Beginning in 1999, they send them, don't vote, and claim millions of pounds in expenses, ostensibly on principle, in order to highlight the Eurocrat gravy train.

It's funny that this high-minded principle involves making UKIP MEPs loads and loads of money (Farage has earned £2m from expenses alone).

That's the kind of thing that starts happening when rich, privileged Thatcherite businessmen infiltrate your party. All principle out of the window in the pursuit of private financial gain, ideally with as little work as conceivably possible. Work the little people for your profit with one hand and steal their taxes for your profit with the other.

UKIP MEPs do vote- against whatever the EU propose....
(edited 9 years ago)

so they have NOT fraudulently gained expenses
Original post by gt459
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2604981/Nigel-Farage-facing-expenses-probe-claims-UKIP-leader-received-60-000-EU-office-given-supporter-rent-free.html

£60,000 seems ridiculous to me.

*actually that's £10,000 more than what they want people to just give them....odd

i will ask for the second time show me where they have FRAUDULENTLY gained expenses please as you stated in your original post
This used to be called "joining a political party" and back in the day you would get something in return for your money, such as voting rights, rather than vague hopes and promises.

I would suggest UKIP go to their extremely wealthy, ex-Tory financial backers to get money for their election campaign.

You can do that here if you prefer: http://join.ukip.org/JoinOnline.aspx?type=1
Original post by Ace123
This afternoon UKIP launched a kickstarter like campaign to help get funds from ordinary supports to fund the 2015 election campaign. The target is £50,000 and it has raised almost £16,000 in just a couple of hours

Thoughts? is this a good way to raise funds, will it get people more connected with politics, is it a good contrast with rich donors by getting a mass of smaller donations? Should other parties do it

Um, how exactly is that a "kickstarter like campaign"? It's simply a simple donation page.

If it were offering rewards based on how much people donated then you could argue that it was like a kickstarter campaign, but it's not, it's simply a donation page.
(edited 9 years ago)

Still, you seem to have no problem with the 800 odd MEPs (including a few dozen Lib/Lab/Con/Greens) who are getting it quietly. Why direct your ire at those who are trying to derail the gravy train?
Reply 14
i will ask for the second time show me where they have FRAUDULENTLY gained expenses please as you stated in your original post

Claiming £60,000 expenses to cover the rent of a property in which they do not pay rent isn't fraudulent to you?

I'll also assume the strippers and what not that Farage hired while being an MEP is perfectly fine :smile:
Original post by gt459
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

....cough.

Ah yes of course because with their zero MPs (until a couple of days ago) and their 24 MEPs they will obviously have been falsely claiming massively more than the other parties with their 649 MPs and 49 MEPs between them.

Of course there will have been some expenses falsely claimed by UKIP but there has been a hell of a lot more claimed illegally by members of the Tories, Labour and the Lib Dems.
Reply 16
Original post by mackemforever
Ah yes of course because with their zero MPs (until a couple of days ago) and their 24 MEPs they will obviously have been falsely claiming massively more than the other parties with their 649 MPs and 49 MEPs between them.

Of course there will have been some expenses falsely claimed by UKIP but there has been a hell of a lot more claimed illegally by members of the Tories, Labour and the Lib Dems.

Straw man argument.....nevermind

*Also illegally is a strong term, the rules are very questionable - but to my knowledge none have "illegally" claimed anything
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gt459

I'll also assume the strippers and what not that Farage hired while being an MEP is perfectly fine :smile:

What's wrong with hiring strippers?
Reply 18
Original post by Black Hippy
What's wrong with hiring strippers?

Lol for most people absolutely nothing. Claiming it as a necessary expense while serving as MEP on the other hand is a completely different question.

I'm bored of this. Vote for bigotry, racism etc etc if you wish. The policies they propose are ludicrous and most couldn't actually be fulfilled anyway. If you go UKIP on the basis of leaving the EU, then you may wish to read up on the benefits of being in the EU before entering the poll booth.

Other than that I wish you all a good day.
Original post by gt459
Claiming £60,000 expenses to cover the rent of a property in which they do not pay rent isn't fraudulent to you?

post your sources please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending