The Student Room Group

UK citizen / EU resident

It's my understanding that UK citizens who live abroad will still qualify for home fees when applying to a UK university until 2027 academic year. However, what loans/finance options are available? Are we entitled to the same as a UK resident? Do we need to get a national insurance number in advance of the application?
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by awood4016
It's my understanding that UK citizens who live abroad will still qualify for home fees when applying to a UK university until 2027 academic year. However, what loans/finance options are available? Are we entitled to the same as a UK resident? Do we need to get a national insurance number in advance of the application?

Hi there, what university and course are you looking to apply for? When is your course due to start? Thanks, Karen
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Karen
Hi there, what university and course are you looking to apply for? When is your course due to start? Thanks, Karen

Thank you. It's actually my son who will be applying for UK universities next Autumn for courses starting in 2024. He wants to study veterinary medicine. He's not certain exactly which universities but there are a limited number that offer it - he's looking at places like Bristol, Surrey, Nottingham.
Thank you. It's actually my son who will be applying for UK universities next Autumn for courses starting in 2024. He wants to study veterinary medicine. He's not certain exactly which universities but there are a limited number that offer it - he's looking at places like Bristol, Surrey, Nottingham.

Our 24/25 academic year applications and guidelines won't launch until around March2024. Once they have launched he would need to submit an application for funding for the team to review. Once the application has been reviewed the team will confirm his eligibility for funding. Thanks, Karen
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Karen
Our 24/25 academic year applications and guidelines won't launch until around March2024. Once they have launched he would need to submit an application for funding for the team to review. Once the application has been reviewed the team will confirm his eligibility for funding. Thanks, Karen

Thank you. do you know generally how british citizens living abroad are currently viewed by the system? Will he need a national insurance number to apply?
Thank you. do you know generally how british citizens living abroad are currently viewed by the system? Will he need a national insurance number to apply?

Was your son born in the UK? Where has he been living for the 3 years prior to the start of his course? Has he ever lived in the UK? Thanks, Karen
Reply 6
(Original post by SFE Karen)Was your son born in the UK? Where has he been living for the 3 years prior to the start of his course? Has he ever lived in the UK? Thanks, Karen

Yes, he was born in the UK to British parents who were also born in the UK. He moved to Germany when he was 4 where he has stayed. He has both British and German passports.
(Original post by SFE Karen)Was your son born in the UK? Where has he been living for the 3 years prior to the start of his course? Has he ever lived in the UK? Thanks, Karen

Yes, he was born in the UK to British parents who were also born in the UK. He moved to Germany when he was 4 where he has stayed. He has both British and German passp

Based on this years criteria he should be OK for funding. We can never guarantee this until an application is fully submitted and processed by the team. I would advise that once the 24/25 academic year applications launch in March 2024 he submit an application for the team to review. Once this has been processed the team will then confirm the funding he is entitled to receive. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending