The Student Room Group

Biology,Chemistry AND Physics at A level?

Is it even possible to do all three and get an A or A* in each? I plan on doing either economics or business as a fourth subject. I would like to know if having a maths A level instead of economics or business will make them easier, considering my applied for sixth form runs a 'maths for physics' extra lesson every week that is not an A level but is used for extra help on the mathematical side of physics.
I hope to do bio-chemistry or veterinary science at a russells group university.
What are other peoples experiences with 3 sciences at A level? Should I consider letting one go, and if so, which one is the most difficult?
My expected GCSE science targets are 3A*s, Maths A, English A*.
Thank you for any advice
Original post by beexxi
Is it even possible to do all three and get an A or A* in each?

More than possible, given you work hard and/or have a natural aptitude for the sciences.
Also I wouldn't recommend taking Physics without taking Maths.

3 Sciences + Maths is the way to go, I would say.

Though leave these decisions till the end of the year; focus on your GCSEs. And remember, predicted grades don't mean s**t. I was predicted BBCD for AS [predicted C for Maths]. Ended up getting AABB [A in Maths] and currently doing A2 :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I did Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology, and Physics, and at AS level I achieved over 90% in each. It is definitely possible to do them all and still do very well in each of them. Maths complimented Physics, and vice versa. On the whole all the subjects had content which related to the others, and doing all of them made it easier for me personally.
Reply 3
Thanks, it seems you all reccomend maths as a complimentary subject for science, particularly physics, considering I do not naturally 'click' into maths and it is far from my favourite subject (sorry maths lovers :colondollar:) is physics a good idea altogether?
Reply 4
Original post by beexxi
Is it even possible to do all three and get an A or A* in each? I plan on doing either economics or business as a fourth subject. I would like to know if having a maths A level instead of economics or business will make them easier, considering my applied for sixth form runs a 'maths for physics' extra lesson every week that is not an A level but is used for extra help on the mathematical side of physics.
I hope to do bio-chemistry or veterinary science at a russells group university.
What are other peoples experiences with 3 sciences at A level? Should I consider letting one go, and if so, which one is the most difficult?
My expected GCSE science targets are 3A*s, Maths A, English A*.
Thank you for any advice

It's absolutely doable provided that you are willing to put in the work.
I did maths and 3 sciences. Doing maths will help in you in your Physics mostly and sometimes Chemistry.
The important thing is that you stay on top of your work all the time. If you dont understand something, go immediately to your teacher and ask.
Never think that you can relax all year and cram 1 or 2 months before exams. A levels are not like GCSE.
Personally for me, Chemistry was quite difficult so don't underestimate it.
Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest