The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Worth applying if retaking A2 modules - have BCC.

Hi! So, about 10 minutes before we were due to depart on the motorway to Hull (Uni) I decided I couldn’t go through with a course I am unsure of, so I deferred my entry. I got in through clearing (I got BCC) but I was pleased with my results considering I was immensely stressed with my studies and anxious about my brother (attempted suicide in April). I want to retake 4 exams externally and it’s about £300 to do so. I will pay for it. But I have thrown all my revision materials away from A2/AS as I was packed and ready for Uni... So, I’ll need to ask college friends for their work and even contact my old teachers for materials, also.

So instead of going to Hull, I rather move to London as it’s an easy two hour train journey back to Birmingham. Hull was as my friend put it ‘another f*cking land.’ Hahaha.
Okay, so I don’t know what degree to pursue. My college wants my personal statement by December not retaking there, but they will do my UCAS for me -. I thought about waiting until August to choose and go through clearing as Unis vastly decrease their grades (Essex accepted me through clearing for an ABB course) and I actually do want to go to Essex, but there’s no guarantee that they would decrease their offer for me this year, if I didn’t retake or did well. Ontop of that, it would be hard to get good accommodation?

My other option is to work hard, perform a miracle and get AAB/ABB and apply to Royal Holloway/Queen Mary’s as I would love to go there and I love London!
Could I apply now to Royal Holloway/Queen Mary’s/Essex with BCC for ABB courses and get an offer, providing my external exams or would I get a straight rejection as I have those grades?

Is it even possible to increase my CC to AA/BB by self teaching?

^As you can tell, I am confused. Any advice on anything I have said above, please? Thank you!
Original post by Utterly-confused
Hi! So, about 10 minutes before we were due to depart on the motorway to Hull (Uni) I decided I couldn’t go through with a course I am unsure of, so I deferred my entry. I got in through clearing (I got BCC) but I was pleased with my results considering I was immensely stressed with my studies and anxious about my brother (attempted suicide in April). I want to retake 4 exams externally and it’s about £300 to do so. I will pay for it. But I have thrown all my revision materials away from A2/AS as I was packed and ready for Uni... So, I’ll need to ask college friends for their work and even contact my old teachers for materials, also.

So instead of going to Hull, I rather move to London as it’s an easy two hour train journey back to Birmingham. Hull was as my friend put it ‘another f*cking land.’ Hahaha.
Okay, so I don’t know what degree to pursue. My college wants my personal statement by December not retaking there, but they will do my UCAS for me -. I thought about waiting until August to choose and go through clearing as Unis vastly decrease their grades (Essex accepted me through clearing for an ABB course) and I actually do want to go to Essex, but there’s no guarantee that they would decrease their offer for me this year, if I didn’t retake or did well. Ontop of that, it would be hard to get good accommodation?

My other option is to work hard, perform a miracle and get AAB/ABB and apply to Royal Holloway/Queen Mary’s as I would love to go there and I love London!
Could I apply now to Royal Holloway/Queen Mary’s/Essex with BCC for ABB courses and get an offer, providing my external exams or would I get a straight rejection as I have those grades?

Is it even possible to increase my CC to AA/BB by self teaching?

^As you can tell, I am confused. Any advice on anything I have said above, please? Thank you!

London might be a two hour train journey to Birmingham, but Egham to Birmingham is more like a three hour train journey...It's actually only about ten minutes less than if you were at Hull. You also talk about loving London- believe you me, Royal Holloway is not in London...If you want the London lifestyle, I'd go for QM.

I don't know much about the other universities you've mentioned but some of Holloway's courses aren't particularly competitive. However, whether you'd be able to get into an ABB course with BCC (even with the possibility of retakes) would depend on exactly what course you'd be applying for. I don't know how Essex works with clearing and accommodation etc., but ultimately you should try and go somewhere that you'll be happy, and it does seem like a lot of universities this year were happy to accept students with lower grades. As for increasing your CC to higher grades, that depends entirely on your self-motivation and whether you think you'll perform better without so much stress this time round.

Good luck with everything.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
How did it all turn out OP? Just saw this thread and I'm interested :smile:
Reply 3
Hi, last year for my as's I got bcc and was freaking out about what universities I could go too. I applied to royal holloway on the of chance that I would get the grades. I did get the grades to get onto my chosen course after re-taking some individual modules. However, I do know some people that got onto their course at royal holloway with bbc\acc, so it's always worth applying as you never know what can happen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending