The Student Room Group

Aston optometry foundation year

hey guys, so I got missed my offer for optometry at Aston by one grade and I got offered a foundation year in science instead but you need 60% or more to move into optometry, I got BCC but one of my papers is getting remarked so it might go up to BBC. I really want to go Aston and they have quit a lot of courses in clearing however I am really unsure as to what I should do.

I can do many science related courses at Aston including biomed and stuff

Has anyone done the foundation year and moved onto optometry ?
Do you guys think I should just retake an A level like my Bio in which I got a C.
Or Should I just go into one of their clearing courses ?
Original post by Soleman123
hey guys, so I got missed my offer for optometry at Aston by one grade and I got offered a foundation year in science instead but you need 60% or more to move into optometry, I got BCC but one of my papers is getting remarked so it might go up to BBC. I really want to go Aston and they have quit a lot of courses in clearing however I am really unsure as to what I should do.

Do you guys think I should just retake an A level like my Bio in which I got a C.

Is there anything in Clearing that you like? What about other optometry courses, are your eligible?
Reply 2
I don't really want to move out of Birmingham, another course I like is pharmacy however it's not on clearing anymore it was there like an hour ago and I came home to apply to it however looks like it missed it.
I don't really want to move out of Birmingham, another course I like is pharmacy however it's not on clearing anymore it was there like an hour ago and I came home to apply to it however looks like it missed it.

They give out Clearing offers and then they stop when they think they have given out enough. There may be people who haven't accepted their verbal offers and so more spaces could come up later, but it's not a guarantee. So you could either move away or take a gap year, unless more spaces come up later and they accept you
Reply 4
Do you think it's worth doing the Foundation year at Aston university then moving onto Optometry ? or is it worth retaking my exams
Do you think it's worth doing the Foundation year at Aston university then moving onto Optometry ? or is it worth retaking my exams

From Aston's website:

We welcome applications from students who have tried to improve their examination grades by taking a maximum of one set of resits. We treat these applications in exactly the same way as other applications. However, if you have had more than one attempt at improving your grades, your application will be considered on an individual basis and we reserve to make an amended (higher) offer, or not make an offer. We do not consider applications from students who are unsuccessful in obtaining the required number and/or standard of A Levels for admission to our programmes and subsequently embark on a BTEC as a second option. Instead we would encourage you to re-sit your A-levels.

So it entirely depends on you - foundation degrees will be more expensive in comparison to redoing exams, and you could do something else.

Hey love I’m nearly done with alevels and they went really bad just wanted to ask did u end up doing foundation optom I have an offer firm medicine and insurance standard optom Aston but they both want the same and I won’t get that
hey guyss, did anyone doo a foundatoin year to get into optom, and how was it? my a levels didnt go as expected n i got BCC
im liiking into alternative paths to optometry=))

Quick Reply

Latest