The Student Room Group

A Real Man

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dijonnay
Physical traits not necessary but the personal attributes! YES!!:smile:

do you not think that this is a bit of a…lofty list? I mean, lots of teenage girls genuinely put this down as the gold standard :confused:
Reply 21
Original post by Friar Chris
You don't think that by setting impossible goals that you are destined to fall short of by no intrinsic fault of your own isn't just trolling yourself? Because that's what it sounds like. Don't be so harsh on yourself, grab a cake :colonhash:

but they're not impossible just very hard to do especially given my learning disability and mental health…but that should be no excuse, hence why I got so wound up about my ex and Superman (why else would she nickname a guy this, unless he could reach the criteria of a mortal Superman?)
A 'real man' doesn't use terminology like 'real man', 'alpha/beta' or 'sexual market value'.
Reply 23
Original post by Riku
do you not think that this is a bit of a…lofty list? I mean, lots of teenage girls genuinely put this down as the gold standard :confused:

soz had to google the word lofty:colondollar:. Not gold standard but those are things that I would look for in a man. It's not all about looks. If you can provide, stand by, support, love, be honest and trust-worthy then you're a real man to me. Most teenage girls don't know what they want yet!Loool I'm one of em.
Original post by KingStannis
I'm a 'real man' and i don't show my emotions. Y'all's definitions are wrong.

That's because you're the most stoic man in the 7 kingdoms.
Reply 25
Original post by Riku
at the highest range of the scale yes (that's a clean bulk bro :wink:

omg that's so disgusting, u fat beast
Reply 26
Original post by Birkenhead
A 'real man' doesn't use terminology like 'real man', 'alpha/beta' or 'sexual market value'.

but you cannot deny that my value list is fairly admirable if a little difficult to uphold in practice? :smile:
Original post by Riku
but you cannot deny that my value list is fairly admirable if a little difficult to uphold in practice? :smile:

What does the fact that the 'values' you list are desirable but hard to uphold have to do with what I said?
Reply 28
What does the fact that your 'values' are desirable but hard to uphold have to do with what I said?

I made a definition for a real man which you partially refuted and then I am gauging the extent to which you refute it :smile:
Original post by Dr Pesto
That's because you're the most stoic man in the 7 kingdoms.

Can't argue there. Tbh i'm quite like Stannis in real life in many respects, except I have a witty, rude sense of humour and am making jokes every other breath. But apart from that, he's basically me.
Reply 30
Original post by Dijonnay
soz had to google the word lofty:colondollar:. Not gold standard but those are things that I would look for in a man. It's not all about looks. If you can provide, stand by, support, love, be honest and trust-worthy then you're a real man to me. Most teenage girls don't know what they want yet!Loool I'm one of em.

You make it sound easy :redface:
Reply 31
Independent of what women think of him e.g. can become unemployed if he feels like it without worrying about girls not liking him

Smoker

Doesn't need people too much

:rofl:
Reply 32
Original post by Riku
You make it sound easy :redface:

lol I wish it was tho. Real men are extremely rare these days.:colone:
Original post by Riku
I made a definition for a real man which you partially refuted and then I am gauging the extent to which you refute it :smile:

I didn't refute any of the qualities you listed. I was attacking the pseudo-terminology you and others use, ('alpha/beta', 'sexual market value' etc.) and suggesting that for all the apparent macho of the PUA/BB community from which that language first reared its mottled head no man comfortable in himself and his masculinity would want to be heard using it. It comes across as slimy and pathetic, hardly pillars of masculinity.
Reply 34
I didn't refute any of the qualities you listed. I was attacking the pseudo-terminology you and others use, ('alpha/beta', 'sexual market value' etc.) and suggesting that for all the apparent macho of the PUA/BB community from which that language first reared its mottled head no man comfortable in himself and his masculinity would want to be heard using it. It comes across as slimy and pathetic, hardly pillars of masculinity.

OK, well I never used 'alpha/beta' in this context and it would be naive to say that people are not objectified and commodified by society based off a scale of attractiveness largely effected by aesthetic and socio-economic qualities superficially :/

I agree with you. Those terms are just pathetic (as is the term 'real man', for that matter).

Quick Reply

Latest