The Student Room Group

I have way too high standards...

Anyway, just curious if anyone has an tips or if anyone else experiences this?

Basically, I either find myself attracted to girls that are out of my league, or never 'like me back' or I get girls that I don't find even in the slightest bit attractive liking me? I'd say I'm a 5-6/10 looks wise and a healthy weight ( I don't do any excersize but in no means am I fat or have a belly)

I know that personality is a lot more important, just I feel as if I could do a bit better than what girls like me, to be honest, I don't even find the girls unnattractive, just I feel as if they're a bit bigger than me, I.e I'm not attracted to bigger girls? I've stated this to a few friends and a few of them say I'm shallow and my standards are too high.

I don't even know what I am asking here, just needed to write somewhere what goes on in my mind, any replies would be brilliant :') cheers
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

Basically, I either find myself attracted to girls that are out of my league, or never 'like me back' or I get girls that I don't find even in the slightest bit attractive liking me? I'd say I'm a 5-6/10 looks wise and a healthy weight ( I don't do any excersize but in no means am I fat or have a belly)

I know that personality is a lot more important, just I feel as if I could do a bit better than what girls like me, to be honest, I don't even find the girls unnattractive, just I feel as if they're a bit bigger than me, I.e I'm not attracted to bigger girls? I've stated this to a few friends and a few of them say I'm shallow and my standards are too high.

I don't even know what I am asking here, just needed to write somewhere what goes on in my mind, any replies would be brilliant :') cheers

Be nice and funny to girls im sure they like funny guys
Reply 2

Oh and dont be shy
Reply 3
My standards are high in a way...I'm mentally ill and can't work right now so by society's standards I'm not really an eligible bachelor.

But I'm intelligent, good looking and good at my hobbies. Also I don't have much need for companionship and am quite happy to be alone rather than settle. But I can't lie and say that I'd turn down a pretty, intelligent, creative girl who could teach me a lot. On the other hand I don't need companionship badly enough to make much effort ... Not that my effort would necessarily get me a girl I'd like.

My indifference could be down to my Asperger's.

I'm not settling because in all likelihood settling would be irritating, boring, depressing, time consuming and unfulfilling.

By society's standards I should be going out with a Jeremy kyle girl...not happening.

If I were female not working wouldn't be an issue...
Reply 4
Original post by nohomo
My standards are high in a way...I'm mentally I'll and can't work right now so by society's standards I'm not really an eligible bachelor.

But I'm intelligent, good looking and good at my hobbies. Also I don't have much need for companionship and am quite happy to be alone rather than settle. But I can't lie and say that I'd turn down a pretty, intelligent, creative girl who could teach me a lot. On the other hand I don't need companionship badly enough to make much effort ... Not that my effort would necessarily get me a girl I'd like.

My indifference could be down to my Asperger's.

I'm not settling because in all likelihood settling would be irritating, boring, depressing, time consuming and unfulfilling.

By society's standards I should be going out with a Jeremy kyle girl...not happening.

If I were female not working wouldn't be an issue...

Nice to see that someone else has high standards, however yours is for a different reason whereas mine is either arrogance or shallowness, I thought it was just me ahah
Reply 5
Nice to see that someone else has high standards, however yours is for a different reason whereas mine is either arrogance or shallowness, I thought it was just me ahah

Embrace your high standards dude!

I used to be similar but it is hardly good to lower your standards because if you do, it will probably lead to negative consequences over time. If you want to **** models, either get rich, or athletic, or ideally both. Most of the time it is just a matter of confidence, entertaining conversation, and at least average fitness guy looks, all of which are not that hard to pull off.

Shoot for the stars, aim for the pussy, hotshot. :yy:

(Of course, the above is true only if you really are above 5/10. :tongue:)
You don't have an obligation to date anyone, your standards are only too high if you're failing to get any women, and you want to be. For example, my standards for a girlfriend were high, purely because I didn't particularly want one, so settling would have been pointless. If you really want a girlfriend, obviously it would make sense to lower your standards. If you aren't bothered, there isn't any real need.
Reply 8
If you want the best you have to be the best. Don't even think about a slender, busty girl with long hair unless you've got some gains.
Reply 9
Original post by _Swag_
Be nice and funny to girls im sure they like funny guys

One normal answer out of all of these so far... The rest of these responses are just gross. :facepalm:
Reply 10
Not sure it's possible to lower your standards. It's not like you choose whom you are or aren't attracted to. But if you're ruling people out for other reasons, e.g., personality, then maybe you could let slide a little more.

Personally I have quite high standards, but I have mixed feelings about it. It hasn't served me particularly well, but then again I guess if I artificially lowered them I'd just be with people I didn't want to be with anyway.

The best advice I can give you is to improve your prospects of meeting and charming women whom you are interested in, i.e., become more attractive. Not that that's easy. I think you have to figure out how much effort it's worth to you.
Reply 11
Original post by Viceroy
One normal answer out of all of these so far... The rest of these responses are just gross. :facepalm:

Hah lol
I'm a 5-6/10 looks wise and a healthy weight ( I don't do any excersize but in no means am I fat or have a belly)

It is completely normal to have standards, obviously you can't really control who you are attracted to. However, what I would say is this ranking thing, where you attribute numbers to yourself and probably attribute a ranking to someone else, is not healthy. When you rank someone based on how they look, you negate their humanity, their nuances and personality. When you do it to yourself then you automatically set up barriers between you and the majority of the world; for instance you are a 5/6 and will see anyone "below" you as inferior and anyone "above" you as superior. I would say what you really need to do is rethink how you perceive people, stop randomly assigning superiority or inferiority to the people around you.
I have quite high standards when it comes to personality and compatibility. But with looks, I'm rather indifferent as long as they don't look like Honey Boo Boo's family member.
(edited 9 years ago)
There is nothing wrong with who you're attracted to, however long term you would be more comfortable going for someone who is 'less' than you on the rating scale knowing that *you* are they best they can get and they won't go wondering...

For me, I compromise on appearances and am looking for someone who has achieved as much as I have. This is my downfall as I have met few people (even up to 4 years older) who are in a similar position to me in life.
You're not alone I get told I'm a 7 sometime 8 and have been in relationship or flings with few really hot girls in the past but in general the girls I'm into are not really into me. I think it's because I come across as weird as I have social anxiety and don't quiet know how to talk to them and often run out of things to say when I do start a conversation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Viceroy

What's wrong with my response? :tongue:
I don't think there's anything wrong with having high standards. If you don't find someone attractive, then you're under no obligation to date them. :no:

If you feel like your standards are impacting on your success with women, however, then maybe it's time to rethink some of your priorities? That doesn't mean, btw, that you have to 'settle'. :nah: :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending