The Student Room Group

Training contracts 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by J-SP
Languages don't tend to be a USP in all honesty. It can help the individual with work/secondments but it really doesn't help the firm in question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! How would you suggest I approach a cover letter that asks to answer 4 questions?
May I ask why you guys are applying so early?
Original post by tehforum
May I ask why you guys are applying so early?

after my exams i'm going to south east asia until graduation (July 17th) so by then it would be cutting it quite fine. I'd rather start on applications from now so it's less work for when I come back
Original post by Omiclops
after my exams i'm going to south east asia until graduation (July 17th) so by then it would be cutting it quite fine. I'd rather start on applications from now so it's less work for when I come back

fair enough

I'm waiting until my exams are done so I can get started on mine
fair enough

I'm waiting until my exams are done so I can get started on mine

i think most people are doing that and it makes the most sense! without a 2.1 there's probably no point applying for these law firms haha
Reply 386
Does anyone have any experience/tips on the CMS Cameron McKenna AC? I'm quite worried about the analysis exercise! Thanks!
What's the general consensus on shortening firm names on application forms?

I'm applying for Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co and I was thinking of just writing it out once then shortening it to either Wragge or WLG. It's a very cumbersome name.
Original post by J-SP
Refer to it in full name in the first instance and then put the initials with brackets after this. You can then refer to it as the initials from then on.

Thanks mate, i'll do that.

Also, do you know what the stance is on typos? I mistakenly put affect instead of effect on one of my applications but it's buried amongst 1000 other words so I'm hoping whoever is reading doesn't clock it. But if they do, would it be immediately put in the 'no' pile or what?
Any information/advice on the Hogan Lovells telephone interview?
Reply 390
If you apply for training contracts in the post exam period- end of June/beginning of July, are you massively disadvantaged by the fact you're applying so late?

Is very rare people get TCs when applying during this period?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I just wondered how understanding firm would be towards those who have TC interviews during their vacation scheme?

Have a 3 week August scheme and I'm wondering how I'm going to fit in TC interviews in without taking the proverbial.

Original post by dierks
If you apply for training contracts in the post exam period- end of June/beginning of July, are you massively disadvantaged by the fact you're applying so late?

Is very rare people get TCs when applying during this period?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the normal time to apply assuming that you are a penultimate year law student. Plenty of firms won't move until late July/August.
Original post by MillieXYZ
Hey, I just wondered how understanding firm would be towards those who have TC interviews during their vacation scheme?

Have a 3 week August scheme and I'm wondering how I'm going to fit in TC interviews in without taking the proverbial.

That's the normal time to apply assuming that you are a penultimate year law student. Plenty of firms won't move until late July/August.

What if you're a final year student?

What's the timeline re looking at applications; tests; interviews; etc?
What if you're a final year student?

What's the timeline re looking at applications; tests; interviews; etc?

As a final year law student, you could have applied for firms which held workshops and so on during Dec/Jan. Some firms allow final year students to apply before the summer cycle, so up until maybe January.

At this stage, as a final year student you're probably best to wait for your degree results since firms won't really be interviewing until July/August. You'll be on the same timeline as penultimate year students now, which is why it might have been partly beneficial to apply earlier (i.e if you wanted an earlier trainee intake etc.)
Original post by MillieXYZ
As a final year law student, you could have applied for firms which held workshops and so on during Dec/Jan. Some firms allow final year students to apply before the summer cycle, so up until maybe January.

At this stage, as a final year student you're probably best to wait for your degree results since firms won't really be interviewing until July/August. You'll be on the same timeline as penultimate year students now, which is why it might have been partly beneficial to apply earlier (i.e if you wanted an earlier trainee intake etc.)

Gosh, I totally forgot about workshops. Plus, I was pretty busy during that period anyway
Does anyone know how to properly abbreviate a firm like Charles Russell Speechlys? The s is already there so it feels a bit weird adding another s as in 'CRS's track record in...'. I was thinking CRS' but others say it's the way which you feel the reader would be most comfortable reading.
Does anyone know if I can apply for both a 2016 & 2017 intake at the same firm? I'm a graduate and can start either, but I don't know if they expect me to only apply for one :l I hope that makes sense.
Original post by Able star
Does anyone know how to properly abbreviate a firm like Charles Russell Speechlys? The s is already there so it feels a bit weird adding another s as in 'CRS's track record in...'. I was thinking CRS' but others say it's the way which you feel the reader would be most comfortable reading.

I used "CRS's" on my application this year which got me a VS offer. I didn't take the offer, but I'm on an AC for a TC.

So go with that, worked for me.
Original post by J-SP
Apply to the earliest one but make a note on your application that you are also happy to be considered for the 2017 intake too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The application only has check boxes - I can tick both 'yes' to apply for either or both - I think I might just tick both and see what happens. Thanks!

Edit: Sorry, I just read your comment again - so I should apply for the earliest one but in some part of the application say I would consider 2017 intake?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 399
Can someone explain to me on a scale of 1-10 how bad it is to accept a TC offer then subsequently back out of it? One firm has refused to extend my offer deadline beyond my next vacation scheme, leaving me in a difficult position.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending