The Student Room Group

Legal apprenticeships forum

Hi,
I've applied for the solicitor apprenticeship in Manchester, just wondering if there's aanyone else who's applied for a similar one, maybe in Manchester. Perhaps we could post on here if and when we get an offer or an interview. I applied a few days before Christmas using the website and I have not heard anything since. I'm not naming the company for obvious reasons.
Good luck everyone x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by javvyjingle
Hi,
I've applied for the solicitor apprenticeship in Manchester, just wondering if there's aanyone else who's applied for a similar one, maybe in Manchester. Perhaps we could post on here if and when we get an offer or an interview. I applied a few days before Christmas using the website and I have not heard anything since. I'm not naming the company for obvious reasons.
Good luck everyone x

Hey, I applied earlier in January and just recently got invited to the assessment centre. Hope you did too!

I'm sure the company (*cough* Eversheds *cough*) won't mind as it's all good exposure for them. I would have also thought it was pretty obvious who you were referring to as I thought they were currently the only ones in the UK offering the full 6 year solicitor apprenticeship (starting in 2017) - with the exception of a few firms in the North East (although I believe you have to live in the North East to be able to apply to those). That's as things stand at the moment - I believe a few other firms are due to start advertising soon. Are you aware of any other solicitor apprenticeships in Manchester (or indeed anywhere else)?
Hi,
I think there are some being offered in London, Slaugher and May and I think Mayer Brown are offering them but it not suitable for me to apply for these. Most are the level 3 paralegal ones. In a magazine for law they were mainly referring to Mayer Brown as the main provider and the case study for the level 7 apprenticeship was for this one.
Anyway, good luck!
I know what you mean about the company but I just didn't want to bump into people and they were like "who posted on the student room?" haha.
Original post by javvyjingle
Hi,
I think there are some being offered in London, Slaugher and May and I think Mayer Brown are offering them but it not suitable for me to apply for these. Most are the level 3 paralegal ones. In a magazine for law they were mainly referring to Mayer Brown as the main provider and the case study for the level 7 apprenticeship was for this one.
Anyway, good luck!
I know what you mean about the company but I just didn't want to bump into people and they were like "who posted on the student room?" haha.

Ah now I see what you mean! You can always keep quiet though. I personally wouldn't have any problems with it. Anyway, yeah most of the ones I've seen have been level 3 paralegal apprenticeships although some of the firms offering them do say they offer the prospect of progressing to the level 7 solicitor one (at a shortened 5 year length, although that's still 7 in total) but there's no guarantee of that (even if you do work well and impress them).

Can you please post a link to the Slaughter and May legal apprenticeship (level 3 or 7) as I can't find anything about it on their website or on Google. The only thing I can find is info that suggests they have ruled out offering them (although that was last year)

I believe Freshfields did offer a level 3 apprenticeship last year and offer the potential for level 7 but until their Manchester office becomes more than just a "legal services/support centre" then at best, it might well involve moving to London. Having said that I do believe there is growth planned for their Manchester office and there has been talk of them offering training contracts there in the near future. Nonetheless, I'd still be wary of them trying to make you a "permanent paralegal".
Hey, well done to you. I was unsuccessful with eversheds. Have you received any other offers from other legal apprenticeships?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MelaMelaMela
Hey, well done to you. I was unsuccessful with eversheds. Have you received any other offers from other legal apprenticeships?

Cheers. I'm sorry to hear you were unsuccessful - hopefully there'll be more Solicitor apprenticeships coming up soon. For your sake and for mine - as I'm still a long way away from an offer yet!

I actually live in Newcastle and so I've also applied for the North East Solicitor apprenticeships (mainly targeting Bond Dickinson and Muckle). Their deadline is late February though and I only sent it off recently so I'm still waiting to hear from them. You have to live in the North East to be able to apply though - you can do the eligibility checker (the specific one for the North East apprenticeships) on the CILEx website to confirm that.

I didn't apply to the Dentons or Charles Russell Speechlys Solicitor apprenticeships as I can't really afford to live and commute in London and while they are good firms, they're not quite enough to attract me (in terms of potential future pay/prospects) to the Big Smoke. I believe Mayer Brown have very recently announced that they're changing their current "articled apprenticeship" which results in being a qualified Solicitor (but with you paying your tuition fees) to the government-backed "trailblazer" scheme - which is what the rest of them are. So there'll be no more fees but to be fair there'll be a lower salary - as Mayer Brown used to offer the same wage as those on training contracts in the later years, I doubt that will be the case now. Still, I'm unlikely to apply for that (if it's available this year) for the same reasons as the others. I could potentially be persuaded by a MC or US firm (or other "top shop") but that seems unlikely, certainly at Solicitor level.

I'm not aware of any other Solicitor (level 7) apprenticeships being available anywhere in the UK. If you know of some or some that are about to be advertised, please let me know. Especially if you've heard anything about the Slaughter and May one mentioned above by "javvyjingle". I should probably just email them though! For some reason my post above got edited by the mods - presumably because you're not allowed to post links (which is very harsh) but I also meant to add that another reason I haven't been aware of the Slaughter and May apprenticeship is that it was reported in the legal press (law gazette, law careers net etc) that Slaughter and May as well as Clifford Chance have ruled out offering them although that was for last year.

I was tempted to apply for the Burges Salmon level 3 apprenticeship (as it's a great firm and there is the opportunity to potentially progress onto the level 7 course) but I was too late anyway and as I intimated in my previous post - I'm looking for more certainty (even though the lack of it is understandable) and less duration!

I should point out that I'm also a non-law grad (with good A levels) so I've applied for a small number of vacation schemes (I've been a bit late to the party unfortunately) and I will be applying for numerous training contracts directly as well. If you want more details about my background it's probably best to PM me but feel free to do so.

Anyway, how about you - where else have you applied?
Original post by Corporate Lawyer
Cheers. I'm sorry to hear you were unsuccessful - hopefully there'll be more Solicitor apprenticeships coming up soon. For your sake and for mine - as I'm still a long way away from an offer yet!

I actually live in Newcastle and so I've also applied for the North East Solicitor apprenticeships (mainly targeting Bond Dickinson and Muckle). Their deadline is late February though and I only sent it off recently so I'm still waiting to hear from them. You have to live in the North East to be able to apply though - you can do the eligibility checker (the specific one for the North East apprenticeships) on the CILEx website to confirm that.

I didn't apply to the Dentons or Charles Russell Speechlys Solicitor apprenticeships as I can't really afford to live and commute in London and while they are good firms, they're not quite enough to attract me (in terms of potential future pay/prospects) to the Big Smoke. I believe Mayer Brown have very recently announced that they're changing their current "articled apprenticeship" which results in being a qualified Solicitor (but with you paying your tuition fees) to the government-backed "trailblazer" scheme - which is what the rest of them are. So there'll be no more fees but to be fair there'll be a lower salary - as Mayer Brown used to offer the same wage as those on training contracts in the later years, I doubt that will be the case now. Still, I'm unlikely to apply for that (if it's available this year) for the same reasons as the others. I could potentially be persuaded by a MC or US firm (or other "top shop":wink: but that seems unlikely, certainly at Solicitor level.

I'm not aware of any other Solicitor (level 7) apprenticeships being available anywhere in the UK. If you know of some or some that are about to be advertised, please let me know. Especially if you've heard anything about the Slaughter and May one mentioned above by "javvyjingle". I should probably just email them though! For some reason my post above got edited by the mods - presumably because you're not allowed to post links (which is very harsh) but I also meant to add that another reason I haven't been aware of the Slaughter and May apprenticeship is that it was reported in the legal press (law gazette, law careers net etc) that Slaughter and May as well as Clifford Chance have ruled out offering them although that was for last year.

I was tempted to apply for the Burges Salmon level 3 apprenticeship (as it's a great firm and there is the opportunity to potentially progress onto the level 7 course) but I was too late anyway and as I intimated in my previous post - I'm looking for more certainty (even though the lack of it is understandable) and less duration!

I should point out that I'm also a non-law grad (with good A levels) so I've applied for a small number of vacation schemes (I've been a bit late to the party unfortunately) and I will be applying for numerous training contracts directly as well. If you want more details about my background it's probably best to PM me but feel free to do so.

Anyway, how about you - where else have you applied?

Hey, I just private messaged you! :smile:
Original post by MelaMelaMela
Hey, I just private messaged you! :smile:

I've replied. Good luck with your applications :smile:
Original post by Corporate Lawyer
Hey, I applied earlier in January and just recently got invited to the assessment centre. Hope you did too!

I'm sure the company (*cough* Eversheds *cough*) won't mind as it's all good exposure for them. I would have also thought it was pretty obvious who you were referring to as I thought they were currently the only ones in the UK offering the full 6 year solicitor apprenticeship (starting in 2017) - with the exception of a few firms in the North East (although I believe you have to live in the North East to be able to apply to those). That's as things stand at the moment - I believe a few other firms are due to start advertising soon. Are you aware of any other solicitor apprenticeships in Manchester (or indeed anywhere else)?

What happens at the assessment centre? I’m just wondering as I’m looking into law apprenticeships (fingers crossed) and I am trying to get an idea of the general process. I would really appreciate your reply 😂🙂❤️
Original post by WhitlockE
What happens at the assessment centre? I’m just wondering as I’m looking into law apprenticeships (fingers crossed) and I am trying to get an idea of the general process. I would really appreciate your reply 😂🙂❤️

I went to the assessment centre for the full day (I will try to remain impartial). You will probably receive a face-to face interview with an employee, usually a qualified solicitor practicing there. You may have to do a group task from which you will be observed, and will have to do written and multiple choice tasks. I applied for this scheme and, as someone who also applied to Oxbridge, I in fact was surprised at the intensity of the day. It was hard to judge the true opinions of other candidates as they were quite formal in fitting with the formal nature of the day, but I found it in most parts a lot more detailed and long-winded than university interviews. Mine at uni lasted 10-15 minutes where my apprenticeship one lasted 45 minutes.

I would say that if you have not had an interview in a formal setting like a solicitors office, try and get as much advice and prep in advance. I am used to being lucky in being able to wing my way through things, I have a reasonable job and did not actually receive an interview as was employed on face value. I made the mistake of thinking I could wing this interview and it was a lot longer than I expected, I was the only candidate who also had 2 interviewers, everyone else had 1. I did feel it was on a par with an interview for a training contract rather than someone at AS-level standard, they are probably more used to interviewing for training contracts though. At one point I realised I had used the same word about 10 times haha.

The group exercise, hmm .... I hated it haha. I wasn't prepared enough in how to deal with mouthy people who talk over you or talk down to you, you've got to realise the legal profession has been for a long time very snobby and this obviously attracts a certain level of people. Throughout the day I felt that I was not posh enough or something for it, despite finding out I had received better grades than most other candidates !! It is hard to practice for the group exercise, but just make sure you come across as confident but accepting of other views, even if you cant think of something useful to say (like me!) make sure you say something at least. The task may be completely unrelated to law, mine was about a spaceship!

Good luck.

You may get a general presentation on the uni/ workplace also.
I decided the whole thing was not for me at all and actually had to contact the place for my results which they said they would send out automatically!
Anyone applied for the Eversheds apprenticeship this year? I'm waiting on an interview invite/rejection, and the further we get from when the results were supposed to be out, the more sure I am that I have been rejected.

I've already contacted the firm to ask but was essentially told to sit tight and be patient as they hadn't finished the screening process. I just have to hope the results come out soon!
Original post by fcmcmurray
Anyone applied for the Eversheds apprenticeship this year? I'm waiting on an interview invite/rejection, and the further we get from when the results were supposed to be out, the more sure I am that I have been rejected.

I've already contacted the firm to ask but was essentially told to sit tight and be patient as they hadn't finished the screening process. I just have to hope the results come out soon!

I've applied to manchester eversheds and have just heard back today that I've made it to the assessment day
Me too, but it's London for me. Any idea what to expect?
Wow well done on getting so far in London ! There must be way more applications than here in the north ? On the website it says there's some online and written exercises, a group exercise and then a final interview. I'm kinda nervous for the group one in case there's people that shout over the top of you, that would make it difficult to contribute. Hopefully it's nothing too overwhelming ?
I'm honestly most scared of the group tasks, knowing the kind of people that apply for these things I'm thinking I won't get a word in edgeways. That'll be the worst thing, like you said, not getting my voice heard, or alternatively acting like one of the people who shouts a lot. The group thing puts you in an awkward position and I never know how to play it.

One thing is sure, if there are verbal reasoning tests then I'm sure to fail.
Did anyone apply for the Charles Russel Speechlys apprenticeship? The receipt of application I got from them said everyone would get a reply, regardless of the outcome. I'm thinking that I've been unsuccessful, but I'd really like to check.
Original post by fcmcmurray
Did anyone apply for the Charles Russel Speechlys apprenticeship? The receipt of application I got from them said everyone would get a reply, regardless of the outcome. I'm thinking that I've been unsuccessful, but I'd really like to check.

I haven't heard anything, I've just assumed I was unsuccessful
Reply 17
Hi all - @fcmcmurray and I are solicitor apprentices at Withers and have made an official thread if any of you have questions we could answer :-)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5762702&p=81495336#post81495336
omg i applied for evershed but its been months they have not responded! But hopefully i do get accepted
Original post by s0phiec
Hi all - @fcmcmurray and I are solicitor apprentices at Withers and have made an official thread if any of you have questions we could answer :-)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5762702&p=81495336#post81495336

Hi, h know this thread is quite old but do you have to live in the North East to apply to solicitor apprenticeships there. I live in London but I plan to move to Newcastle and I would love to apply to NE Firms but idk if living in London would be a barrier.

It would be lovely to get a reply to this please, thanks ❤️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending