The Student Room Group

Training contracts 2017

Scroll to see replies

oh lawd i need to jump on this asap
Original post by Griffin0007
Anyone know if any of the following are on a rolling basis?

Clyde & Co
WFW
Dentons
DLA
Weightmans
Ince

I applied to WFW a few months ago for a Vac Scheme along with a TC. Didn't get the Vac but they said they would re-evaluate my TC application after the deadline on the 31st.
Can a very gracious badass person that knows, post which firms TC are on a rolling basis? Massively appreciated. Need to get some tactical applications in this week :banana:
Reply 583
Has anyone heard back from CC post passing the verbal reasoning test?
Reply 584
Is anyone applying to Hogan Lovells? The application seems to be based on the individual as opposed to why we want to work for the firm. Also what is the correct response to 'Is there anything else you would like to add to your application?'
Reply 585
Original post by J-SP
For your last question, only put information in there that hasn't been asked for before. For instance if they haven't asked you about mitigating circumstances this is a good place to explain them briefly. Or if you need to clarify any gaps in your application (gap years/retaking exams etc).

But try to avoid putting in anything where you just ran out of space in other sections of the form.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!

The application doesn't ask anything about interests/hobbies/positions of responsibility so I was thinking about including that as I have no mitigating circumstances/gaps in application
Guys how many firms are you applying to and how much is correct to apply to?
Hey guys! I just finished my penultimate year of law so this is my first cycle of TC apps. I did about 10 VS apps earlier this year, got a few interviews but unfortunately got nowhere. Planning to do about 10 TC apps this summer, and I have a few questions for those more knowledgeable than I am (ie everyone here!)

1) How much importance do the firms put to grades and prizes? I got a mid 2.1 in my frst year (with one 2.2 and one 1st) but this year I got a 1st (with 1sts in 3 out of 4 modules, including prizes for the highest mark in two of those, and the prize for runner up to top overall student) - how much would this help me or do firms not really put much emphasis on it as long as you have a good 2.1?

2) In terms of deadlines - what is the latest that you would send off an application? I've always thought that I should treat the latter half of July as a dangerous zone where apps are a lot less likely to be successful?? Would any of you say there is a good chance of success if you apply a couple of days before the deadline?

3) For the firms who ask for 'current affairs' news stories in their apps (ie discuss one that interested you, or how would it affect this firm) how do you go about finding the stories? I don't really want to talk about the Greek debt as it seems very popular, but at the same time I keep going through pages of headlines and thinking it wouldn't really be great to talk about in an app?

Thanks everyone, and good luck!!
Original post by J-SP
1) the stronger the better really - sounds like your second year grades and prizes will really make you stand out from the crowd. There will be some firms that emphasis academics more that will be looking for this kind of academic excellence. Other firms will be impressed by them but will look at them more holistically against other parts of your application.

2) if you can avoid the last two weeks of July. That's when everyone applies. Although if the firm doesn't do rolling recruitment it might not be too bad - although I have known one firm that doesn't do rolling recruitment but still reviews the earlier applications first post 31 July. Try to avoid the last week and definitely the last 2-3 days. It's not that you have no chance, but it's probably slightly diminished.

3) in my honest opinion avoid Greece and Brexit in those type of questions - one it's too big a story to talk about and it becomes quite vague. If you are going to pick it, try and find one story within it - maybe a business/industry that's suffering or maybe even benefitting. This will make it more unique/interesting anyway.

The key for these questions is always the WHAT INTERESTS YOU bit. It always the bit that people never put emphasis on because they think they need to pick a story that will impress the reader rather than one they are actually interested in. Find a starting point - a module you really enjoyed studying; a jurisdiction you have an interest in because of family/travel/language; an industry you know a bit about because you've worked in it or your family has; something that's related to a hobby/interest of yours. You will then find a story that is appropriate and much more unique.

If you choose Greece/Brexit in its broadest sense you will be up against 100s who have chosen the same and unless you describe it accurately/sophisticatedly it won't be as impressive as the other applicants who have.

Plus even if you get to interview, the interviewers will have in the back of their mind "wow, how original".

You should be reading about it anyway - it's kind of basic "commercial awareness" so it is seen as a bit of a easy answer to go with, where the information is everywhere/everyday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, that's very helpful!! Not surprised about your opinion on Grexit, I will just take the time looking through news until something really interests me!
Original post by J-SP
Don't look at what makes the headlines - find that commercial story hidden away in the middle pages of a business newspaper.

Easiest thing to do is to find something like I mentioned that you have an interest in and then set up Google alerts to send you information as that story develops.

Obviously follow the stuff about Greece anyway - if you get to interview it's likely you will be asked a question that is in some way inter-twinned with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great advice, I guess even if the firms decided to do a throw away question on it at interview, if I stare at them blankly, it's all over! Thanks!
Reply 590
Original post by Lawyer_Up
Can a very gracious badass person that knows, post which firms TC are on a rolling basis? Massively appreciated. Need to get some tactical applications in this week :banana:

Baker & McKenzie is rolling but they said that although they review applications on a rolling basis, they won't begin shortlisting candidates for interview until a bit nearer to the 31 July deadline

Clyde & Co and Eversheds also rolling
(edited 8 years ago)
does anyone know how long covering letter should be is the firm doesn't specify a word count on the application itself? Clyde & Co has a number of questions but also a covering letter but doesn't specify the word count
Original post by samantha.1991
does anyone know how long covering letter should be is the firm doesn't specify a word count on the application itself? Clyde & Co has a number of questions but also a covering letter but doesn't specify the word count

A page is generally a good length for a cover letter.
Original post by TykeDragon

3) For the firms who ask for 'current affairs' news stories in their apps (ie discuss one that interested you, or how would it affect this firm) how do you go about finding the stories? I don't really want to talk about the Greek debt as it seems very popular, but at the same time I keep going through pages of headlines and thinking it wouldn't really be great to talk about in an app?

Thanks everyone, and good luck!!

Yo!

Find a news story that is relevant to what the firm is doing.Such as, who are their clients, have they been in the news recently, what for, what was or will be the outcome and how could that impact on the firm or that area of law.

Go get 'em tiger!
guys has anyone applied to Harcus Sinclair for a training contract and heard back?
Reply 595
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone has got an invitation to the CC assessment day yet? I got the email saying I passed the VR test, now I'm obsessively checking my emails for anything about the AD...
Reply 596
Original post by sjn
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone has got an invitation to the CC assessment day yet? I got the email saying I passed the VR test, now I'm obsessively checking my emails for anything about the AD...

same me too!!!! so nervous!!!
Original post by Able star
Finally got the situational judgment test (SJT) from Wragge.

Anyone have any idea how these work? There's loads of different examples online, ranging from ranking all the options, to choosing the best one, to choosing the best and worst one.

Have you tried the practice test on the site?

For reference, it is ranking all options.
Original post by ZaraW
Baker & McKenzie is rolling but they said that although they review applications on a rolling basis, they won't begin shortlisting candidates for interview until a bit nearer to the 31 July deadline

Clyde & Co and Eversheds also rolling

Fantastic, thank you! :smile:
Original post by J-SP
Don't look at what makes the headlines - find that commercial story hidden away in the middle pages of a business newspaper.

Easiest thing to do is to find something like I mentioned that you have an interest in and then set up Google alerts to send you information as that story develops.

Obviously follow the stuff about Greece anyway - if you get to interview it's likely you will be asked a question that is in some way inter-twinned with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whoever you are your posts are incredibly helpful to all of us! Thanks.

I have a brief question of my own, for the question 'Please provide any further information that is relevant to your application' what information are firms looking for?

I'm guessing its not a section to sell yourself with random facts! Having already included a cover letter and answer 4 other general questions I'm struggling to think of what to write.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending