The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
wesetters
They aren't cheap. I can't afford to read anything but free papers.

:eek:

Well I'm only going for a week, so :p: I have spending money.
wesetters
Ha, when I went, the group leaders made everyone pay, so the girls who got in for free subsidised us :cool:

lolol :p:
wesetters
They aren't cheap. I can't afford to read anything but free papers.

cheaper than buying them here though?
magazines are good too i find them easier to read than french papers though obviously not as educational :rolleyes:
Reply 43
I went to Caen and Stasbourg with Acorn. In Caen, I was in a supermarket stacking shelves and in Strasbourg, I was in an office in a university but they had nothing for me to do.
I'm going to Aachen with Acorn next month by coach. There's only one other girl in my class and she didn't want to go (she went to France with them last year and hated it), but I'm going with two from the AS class, so at least I'll know someone.

Anyone else going?
Reply 45
I went to Lille with Acorn Educational Exchanges and worked in a hotel on reception. They were a bit ambitious as to what they expected at first, thinking that I was completely fluent in French and would be able to answer the phones and take bookings. However, I had a great time, met some amazing people and learnt loads.
thinking that I was completely fluent in French

:eek3: :eek4: :eek3: Mon dieu! And to think I'm going there!
Reply 47
I go in less than two weeks, and don't know where I'm working yet :s-smilie:
Reply 48
Well, found out where I'm working.

I'll be with a lawyer, and as the sheet says, 'in court' with them too.

However, they expect me to know about French law.

... :wtf?:

Soooo, a lot of additional reading for me :\
i'm going with some friends in october....do you usually get placed in work experience that is your first choice?
hm. don't know where i'm going yet, have to wait and see i guess - plus haven't sent back the forms so really have no idea :biggrin: still, at least i've learnt that my teacher reckons i'm 'confident with a good grasp of the language' - hopefully i've got a good chance in A levels!
Reply 51
wesetters
Ha, good luck !

I had a friend working in a lawyer, and apparently it was really good :smile:

Oh, that's okay then :smile:
It's just I'm worried about not being able to understand a word they say.
Less than two weeks now :eek: :afraid:

But I'm looking forward to it :smile:
Reply 52
anabourdais
i'm going with some friends in october....do you usually get placed in work experience that is your first choice?

Well, I chose politics for the first choice, and I think Law came under that, so... :\
I'm working on a farm. Bit scared but it looks quite a nice farm (I went on their website). Lots of organic fruit growing and things. I just hope I have a rough idea of what they're saying to me :s-smilie:
brimstone

ohh that sounds fantastic... should be really interesting for you which date do you go/? are there lots of other people from your school going?
Reply 55
brimstone

OH when I went to Montpellier a friend also ended up working with a lawyer! Expect to do lots of filing or some such activity, she found it a bit dull (that's coming from someone who is know doing law at LSE):frown:
If anyone you know is working in a childrens' theatre, tell them to tell the lady that john (she didn't understand the concept of me not using my first name) and steff say hi:smile:
Reply 56
I did went on work experience with Acorn Educational Exchanges. I can honestly say, it was the best week of my life! Go for it.
JQ2
I did went on work experience with Acorn Educational Exchanges. I can honestly say, it was the best week of my life! Go for it.

:dito:
Reply 58
The freedom is the best part.
Reply 59
I don't know my placement yet; considering brim got his this week I'd probably find out next week :eek: I'm really looking forward to it, but at the same time I'm really scared as well :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending