The Student Room Group

How actually competitive and selective is UNIQ?

As someone who is applying for the maths UNIQ 2024 course, has one out of two parents that went to uni (and is employed), and goes to a state school but doesn't qualify for any free school meals or any of the other uniq care-related criteria, how likely is it that I get in?

Education context: I got straight 9s in my gcses (11 subjects) and am taking maths, further maths, physics and chem

(My polar and acorn postcodes don't qualify either)
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by nayana_s
As someone who is applying for the maths UNIQ 2024 course, has one out of two parents that went to uni (and is employed), and goes to a state school but doesn't qualify for any free school meals or any of the other uniq care-related criteria, how likely is it that I get in?

Education context: I got straight 9s in my gcses (11 subjects) and am taking maths, further maths, physics and chem

I doubt anyone can tell you with any confidence and in any case the answer's going to be non-zero. Why not just apply, unless you think the process is too onerous.
Reply 2
Original post by RichE
I doubt anyone can tell you with any confidence and in any case the answer's going to be non-zero. Why not just apply, unless you think the process is too onerous.

I mean, tbf I was planning to apply regardless (there's nothing to lose as a direct circumstance of applying)
I only really asked because I heard how competitive the uniq maths course was, and was just wondering whether applicants who don't qualify for any of the prioritising selection criteria still got in each year (given there isn't that many places to begin with).
thanks though :smile:
Reply 3
I mean, tbf I was planning to apply regardless (there's nothing to lose as a direct circumstance of applying)
I only really asked because I heard how competitive the uniq maths course was, and was just wondering whether applicants who don't qualify for any of the prioritising selection criteria still got in each year (given there isn't that many places to begin with).
thanks though :smile:

There are 3 weeks of maths UNIQ so more places than most subjects.

I couldn’t find data online on how many applications there are.
Reply 4
Original post by RichE
There are 3 weeks of maths UNIQ so more places than most subjects.

I couldn’t find data online on how many applications there are.

Ah okay that's great thanks :smile:
Reply 5

pretty much same boat as you but with 9999999886 and got rejected from maths and physics 😭😭 wish you luck
Reply 6
Original post by Me :3
pretty much same boat as you but with 9999999886 and got rejected from maths and physics 😭😭 wish you luck
i did have a couple of the other requirements but one of which i really wasnt sure if it counted, so, idk
Reply 7
Original post by Me :3
same 😭
Reply 8
same 😭
did you get in?
Reply 9
Original post by siiiiiii
did you get in?
nope :frown:
nope :frown:

omg samee applied to maths w 99999999888 and got rejected.
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous #1
omg samee applied to maths w 99999999888 and got rejected.

awh noo :frown:
it's alr though there's plenty of other opportunities out there, especially for maths
awh noo :frown:
it's alr though there's plenty of other opportunities out there, especially for maths

yup just trying to stay positive tbh because maybe they just took contextual stuff into account and i didn’t fit enough of that criteria..
what course r u trying to apply to at uni?
Reply 13
Original post by aurelalala.y
yup just trying to stay positive tbh because maybe they just took contextual stuff into account and i didn’t fit enough of that criteria..
what course r u trying to apply to at uni?

yess definitely
it's great to stay positive and you're right about context being such a huge deciding factor for uniq which might not apply to us as much
and i'm planning to apply for maths at uni, hbu?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending