Hi Guys,

Here’s a thread for those who applied to medicine for UNIQ this summer
Have you heard anything yet?
Original post by Raeesah.a
Have you heard anything yet?

Hi,

I got an acceptance email. Hbu?
Reply 3
hi, sorry to be intrusive, but i just got rejected for medicine and i was just wondering if u wouldn't mind sharing ur gcses as i am wondering why i didn't get accepted :frown:
i got
8 9's
1 8
1 7
the website seemed to put lots of weight into gcse results and i thought that i had done ok but i guess not ;(
Original post by AK_SL
hi, sorry to be intrusive, but i just got rejected for medicine and i was just wondering if u wouldn't mind sharing ur gcses as i am wondering why i didn't get accepted :frown:
i got
8 9's
1 8
1 7
the website seemed to put lots of weight into gcse results and i thought that i had done ok but i guess not ;(

I think that was a factor but it wasn't the be-all and end-all; as it was an access programme, my thinking is that it is mainly for those with no family members in uni and live in a socially deprived area. Unlucky either way tho :console:
Original post by AK_SL
i got
8 9's
1 8
1 7

Oh no! I’m sorry to hear that. It’s not intrusive at all; I got 6 9’s and 5 8’s. Did you look at what your acorn/ polar score was? Because mine was like a 5
Reply 6
hi, my polar score showed 5. Are you sure this is the same for u as a score of 5 makes you the least eligible in terms of widening participation. My acorn score is 1 and says that my area is generally for older people. I realise that this is the highest numerically, but i am not rich and i live in a neighbourhood with an ageing population- the houses arent luxurious, 3-4 bedroom semidetached. Would u mind confirming that u did indeed have the highest polar score of 5; I feel kinda bad for asking all of this, but i am finding it a hard pill to swallow, and i would have been contempt with UNIQ digital. I don't think that my statement was bad either as i had it checked with our school's medicine adviser; he is highly credible given that we usually get around 20+ successful students per year (4 that i know of for cambridge medicine for this year's cohort)
Congrats on ur success anyway.
I dont see why they dont let everyone have UNIQ digital as from what is shown on their website it is just a compilation of videos that give you tips on applying and life at oxford.
P.S. apologies for the convoluted response
:frown:
Reply 7
Original post by AK_SL
hi, my polar score showed 5. Are you sure this is the same for u as a score of 5 makes you the least eligible in terms of widening participation. My acorn score is 1 and says that my area is generally for older people. I realise that this is the highest numerically, but i am not rich and i live in a neighbourhood with an ageing population- the houses arent luxurious, 3-4 bedroom semidetached. Would u mind confirming that u did indeed have the highest polar score of 5; I feel kinda bad for asking all of this, but i am finding it a hard pill to swallow, and i would have been contempt with UNIQ digital. I don't think that my statement was bad either as i had it checked with our school's medicine adviser; he is highly credible given that we usually get around 20+ successful students per year (4 that i know of for cambridge medicine for this year's cohort)
I dont see why they dont let everyone have UNIQ digital as from what is shown on their website it is just a compilation of videos that give you tips on applying and life at oxford.

i dont even know why im dwelling on this- what's done is done
Original post by AK_SL

They probably mean an acorn score of 5 - the lowest. Your values of Polar 5 and Acorn 1 would make you categorically very privileged in Oxford's eyes and it's an access scheme first and foremost so this will be why you weren't accepted but don't let this put you off applying to Oxford! The real thing isn't an access scheme - just how good you are (and a bit of luck). I wish you the best in your future!
Reply 9
thanks for the clarification- I'm very stupid
Reply 10
if ur total score is 5, well done for doing so well given ur background
Reply 11
anyway I should probably leave the post as it's not for UNIQ failures like me
Reply 12
before I leave does anyone know of any free medicine summer camps that aren't based on widening participation
Reply 13
diamantes- when u say that would class be as privalleged, does that mean that i will be in the same boat as private school kids who live in mansions.
Original post by AK_SL
diamantes- when u say that would class be as privalleged, does that mean that i will be in the same boat as private school kids who live in mansions.

Not necessarily, just that for UNIQ, you didn't seem to have any major disadvantages to your learning - it's not the same for the real applications.
Original post by AK_SL
anyway I should probably leave the post as it's not for UNIQ failures like me

Hi it is an acorn score of 5, hope this helps
Original post by diamantes
They probably mean an acorn score of 5 - the lowest. Your values of Polar 5 and Acorn 1 would make you categorically very privileged in Oxford's eyes and it's an access scheme first and foremost so this will be why you weren't accepted but don't let this put you off applying to Oxford! The real thing isn't an access scheme - just how good you are (and a bit of luck). I wish you the best in your future!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending