The Student Room Group

How do I get an A/A* in OCR A2 geography?

For AS level, I got an A (196/200) and would very much like to maintain this or even try to get an A*, however I feel really lost with geography this year, as I'm just being bombarded with case studies, and not knowing what to do with them/how to apply them as I know that it's just more than learning case studies. I'm just wondering does anyone have any tips or good case studies that I should research, and how to structure essays? :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by charlottealevel
For AS level, I got an A (196/200) and would very much like to maintain this or even try to get an A*, however I feel really lost with geography this year, as I'm just being bombarded with case studies, and not knowing what to do with them/how to apply them as I know that it's just more than learning case studies. I'm just wondering does anyone have any tips or good case studies that I should research, and how to structure essays? :smile:

hi, i did the same board as you at A level and I was lucky to have teachers who didn't teach by the textbook as i know a lot do. with case studies, they are often in a lot of detail in textbooks most of which you don't need. i never used a textbook in A2 geography all my case studies came from geography magazines, the news, websites and things my teacher found for us. I also developed some case studies myself by making notes from research i did into current events (like the flooding in the UK last year which happened when i was covering earth hazards). my advice is to use what you see around you, your case studies can be what you choose to find, the ones in the textbooks are fine but they are old and it is not as interesting to read one in a book as it is to go out and research one for yourself, you don't need pages and pages, just a side of A4 in bullet points i found would do.
as for essay structures, it is important to show that you can compare and get both sides of an argument when appropriate. so lets say the essay asked you to what extent something was true you could strucutre your essay like this:

introduction
paragraph 1- your first side of the arguement such as agree, and then a few sentences towards the end of the paragraph saying how it might be possible to disagree, criticize your arguement.
paragraph 2- the other side of the argument such as disagree, and then a few sentences how it might be possible to agree after all

conclusion- sum up arguments and then answer the question based on the agruments you give, and finally state if you agree or disagree
Original post by charlottealevel

I want to know the exact same thing Loool. I got 172/200 but I feel lost as well this year. I'm doing Ecosystems, Population & Resources and Development & Inequalities. What topics are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending