The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
At Hild Bede, there are music practice rooms - there's a Special Piano that is for people who have reached Grade 8 standard and above (which seems kind of unfair in a way but am I bovvered?), and Special Practice Rooms for people who want to play on amplified instruments. :biggrin:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
Eddie K
The mixing at hound isn't as bad as you make it sound Kev!

Erm...yes, it is.

OK so it's not as bad as the cheese room (but then, I don't know if it's possible to mix "Reach for the Stars" by S-Club into the Baywatch Theme Tune lol)....but it's still awful. I don't think most people would notice it because they're used to it, but when you spend most of your time in clubs where the DJ is assessed on his/her quality to mix one track into the next....the mixing at Planet is practically non-existent....generally because the "DJs" aren't proper DJs (or aren't encouraged to properly DJ) - which is a shame as I think if one night they played some better (or just DIFFERENT) tracks with some good mixing they would receive a good response....they're just too scared to try it....like much with the DSU :frown:
dobbs
Erm...yes, it is.

OK so it's not as bad as the cheese room (but then, I don't know if it's possible to mix "Reach for the Stars" by S-Club into the Baywatch Theme Tune lol)....but it's still awful. I don't think most people would notice it because they're used to it, but when you spend most of your time in clubs where the DJ is assessed on his/her quality to mix one track into the next....the mixing at Planet is practically non-existent....generally because the "DJs" aren't proper DJs (or aren't encouraged to properly DJ) - which is a shame as I think if one night they played some better (or just DIFFERENT) tracks with some good mixing they would receive a good response....they're just too scared to try it....like much with the DSU :frown:

who are those "DJ's" ?? students?? or "pros"??? if its students then surely I can give it a go:smile: havent practised for a while now...but got some mixing techniques from my cousin:smile:hehe
Reply 23
MasterBlaster
who are those "DJ's" ?? students?? or "pros"??? if its students then surely I can give it a go:smile: havent practised for a while now...but got some mixing techniques from my cousin:smile:hehe

I think they're graduated students who still live in Durham or something like that. There's very little chance you'll be able to DJ - but ask as much as you can....I think they like their people who they know they can trust to play "non-risky" music :frown:
Reply 24
Non-risky music? What's non-risky?
dobbs
I think they're graduated students who still live in Durham or something like that. There's very little chance you'll be able to DJ - but ask as much as you can....I think they like their people who they know they can trust to play "non-risky" music :frown:

what do they call risky music?!?!
none of my sessions/albums/tracks etc. have any swearing in them..since most of the songs are just remixes and in general , house has the least amount of swearing ....compared to rock/metal or what not:smile:
or do they mean the music will not fit in with the atmosphere?!:confused:

well lets see what the mixing is like...if its that bad as u say..then i can always hand over some sessions ive mixed/bought in the past...and the local DJs can decide if they are "risky" or not!:redface:
Reply 26
Music made by setting fire to things?
Reply 27
Risky - as in music that people haven't heard before. This is the thing with Durham, especially at the Student Union - they don't like doing new things!

OK so you might think things like "Revolver" (an indie-rock night...I think? someone can correct me if I'm wrong) are "new" but they're not. They're just following what other clubs in Durham have tried.

However, the bottom floor of Planet is "dance" music....every week they play the same tracks though. Yes they're not bad....you're guaranteed Barbers Adagio for Strings without a doubt, and then a load of others....but EVERY SINGLE WEEK the same stuff. I was impressed when I first heard Adagio for Strings in there actually - THAT was a risk - as not many people had heard it but everyone loved it.

If only they were brave enough to try it again - play some new stuff that people hadn't ever heard, and I'm sure a lot would love it. But as Durham is - if people don't recognise the music they generally won't like it.

And hence, they play music that people know and love....aka "non-risky" music :wink:
dobbs
Risky - as in music that people haven't heard before. This is the thing with Durham, especially at the Student Union - they don't like doing new things!

OK so you might think things like "Revolver" (an indie-rock night...I think? someone can correct me if I'm wrong) are "new" but they're not. They're just following what other clubs in Durham have tried.

However, the bottom floor of Planet is "dance" music....every week they play the same tracks though. Yes they're not bad....you're guaranteed Barbers Adagio for Strings without a doubt, and then a load of others....but EVERY SINGLE WEEK the same stuff. I was impressed when I first heard Adagio for Strings in there actually - THAT was a risk - as not many people had heard it but everyone loved it.

If only they were brave enough to try it again - play some new stuff that people hadn't ever heard, and I'm sure a lot would love it. But as Durham is - if people don't recognise the music they generally won't like it.

And hence, they play music that people know and love....aka "non-risky" music :wink:

aah that kind of sucks...... and i actually thought britain was a house nation:smile: giving credit to all those festivals in your country..not to mention the massive CREAMFIELDS!!....

btw - adagio for strings...the tiesto mix..right?!?
Reply 29
I think we should buy a club and aim it at several risky niche markets.
book a DJ!! that would be better!! whole night is usually around 4000-5000 euros..DSU should fork out the money:smile:)))
Reply 31
MasterBlaster
aah that kind of sucks...... and i actually thought britain was a house nation:smile: giving credit to all those festivals in your country..not to mention the massive CREAMFIELDS!!....

btw - adagio for strings...the tiesto mix..right?!?

Yes the Tiesto mix.

And yeah - Britain is like that, but DURHAM isn't - those kind of places are only found in big cities, since very few students like house music - they all love cheese music, or now indie rock and all that stuff.

And HAHAHAHAHAHAHA book a DJ!!! Yeah right! DSU would never do that, no big names anyway, they wouldn't make the money back at all - they never even book any bands which WOULD bring in lots of money, there's no way they're going to book any DJs!
Reply 32
ssmoose
I think we should buy a club and aim it at several risky niche markets.

That sounds like a business proposition! I'm up for it. Perhaps I will do my own experimentalist set.
Reply 33
Perhaps I will do my own experimentalist set

What did you think your student loans were for?
dobbs
Yes the Tiesto mix.

And yeah - Britain is like that, but DURHAM isn't - those kind of places are only found in big cities, since very few students like house music - they all love cheese music, or now indie rock and all that stuff.

And HAHAHAHAHAHAHA book a DJ!!! Yeah right! DSU would never do that, no big names anyway, they wouldn't make the money back at all - they never even book any bands which WOULD bring in lots of money, there's no way they're going to book any DJs!

yeah tiesto is not bad!! used to like his sound a lot...

mm concerning durham..im thinking i should have made my grades into LSE!! ...dammit:frown:
oh well..music is not everything..so as long as i have some good friends, there is a good atmosphere and i can play football then im a happy person too:smile:

but booking a DJ...think about it...if every person at uni ..donates at least 1 Pound-then of course some would donate more..like 5 lets say:wink:...then we could easily make 5000 required for booking a good DJ...that is Tiesto included:wink:...
Reply 35
If it were petitioned sufficiently there may be more inclination for the DSU to try new things.
Reply 36
dobbs
Erm...yes, it is.

Dude, they're playing electronica and house. It's designed to be beat mixed - as long as they catch the drops right and fade to the next track at a decent point, which they do 90% of the time, then it's good mixing. Plus, who's going to care, as long as the music doesn't stop?

I'd agree with you if they were playing garage because it's much harder to mix and if you get it wrong, you really get it wrong - most of it can't be beat mixed because it's vocal and off 4/4, which means you have to mix out of sync and make it sound good - which means you have to do it with vinyls and you have to know what you're doing. Something that doesn't need to be done with electronica and house.

Basically, lay off the planet DJ's, they do alright! :p:
Reply 37
Eddie K
Dude, they're playing electronica and house. It's designed to be beat mixed - as long as they catch the drops right and fade to the next track at a decent point, which they do 90% of the time, then it's good mixing.

No, it's not. Mixing is about more than just catching the beat and fading. It's about VERY slowly mixing one track into the next so that if you're not familiar with the tracks you shouldn't even notice that they've changed. It's also to do with the choice of tracks you mix into each other - which should be similar, whereas at Planet they mix some stupid tracks into each other - if they used similar ones they would sound so much better!

Eddie K
Plus, who's going to care, as long as the music doesn't stop?

There are Facebook groups from Durham full of people who care about it. I care...it's fine for people who aren't really used to this style of music, but people who ARE used to it notice it and it is kinda annoying.

Eddie K

I'd agree with you if they were playing garage because it's much harder to mix and if you get it wrong, you really get it wrong - most of it can't be beat mixed because it's vocal and off 4/4, which means you have to mix out of sync and make it sound good - which means you have to do it with vinyls and you have to know what you're doing. Something that doesn't need to be done with electronica and house.

Erm, I certainly hope the DJs in planet are using vinyls! I know that any other house/trance/electronica DJ I've ever known/seen/heard use vinyls no other form of music storage! If they bring a CD, then shame on them! :frown:

And yes, you have to know what you're doing with house/trance/etc....the DJs from this genre aren't paid thousands of pounds per one hour set in a club just because they look good you know...it's a skill! But then, I know people who I've been out clubbing with who could do a far far better job than the Planet DJs.

Eddie K
Basically, lay off the planet DJ's, they do alright! :p:

Yes. They do an alright job at fading one commercial track into another over a period of 10 (sometimes 20!) seconds. Doesn't exactly say much :rolleyes:
Reply 38
I think I must be too drunk in planet to notice this mixing business. :p:
Face it, you're never gonna get anybody decent playing Durham because Newcastle is only 15 minutes away on the train and has a MUCH bigger potential audience and much better venues. The DJs on the middle floor of revolver at least attempt to mix songs together, but we did notice that for a large chunk of the night they were just playing a 2manydjs CD which we were really not impressed with. If you're gonna do a job as a DJ then at least don't take the credit for other people's work.
I really wish the DJs at hound would try some new music like the DJs downstairs at Revolver have done (at least they've got a somewhat wider range of music than bloody Studio Tuesdays). OK, so you might get them playing some music that the crowd doesn't like, but who cares? As they say, variety is the spice of life...

Latest