The Student Room Group

Land Economy - 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PriyankaJ
Have you had an interview invitation yet?

Not yet! Loads of people have though.. Iv not heard anything yet
I got an offer at Jesus and managed to defer it to a 2015 start. I did next to no interview prep as its impossible to know what will come up and my school were completely useless. As long as you have a genuine interest for the subject it will come across during interview and hopefully help secure a place.
anyone applying to homerton for land ec and heard from them? :smile:
Original post by ghatat
Had my interview invitation from homerton the other day, how is everyone preparing?

really? for land econ? When is it?
any other fitz applicants?
Reply 25
Original post by heyitshelen

yes, got my interview a week on friday
Reply 26
really? for land econ? When is it?

they're on the 28th for Homerton, did you send in your essays?
Hey, I applied for land ec at Magdalene. I haven't yet heard about any interviews but applied for Geog and Econ elsewhere at LSE, UCL, Birmingham and St Andrews (only heard from LSE- got an offer for AAA).

Just out of interest, what was your average UMS for your best 3 subjects?
Yes I have sent mine but I still haven't hear from them!:frown: think they are still considering? When did you send your essays?
Reply 29
Yes I have sent mine but I still haven't hear from them!:frown: think they are still considering? When did you send your essays?

send on tuesday and got the interview invitation on wednesday afternoon
Original post by hemanghirani
Hey, I applied for land ec at Magdalene. I haven't yet heard about any interviews but applied for Geog and Econ elsewhere at LSE, UCL, Birmingham and St Andrews (only heard from LSE- got an offer for AAA).

Just out of interest, what was your average UMS for your best 3 subjects?

Hi,

If you don't mind me asking, how long did LSE take to get back to you for economics and geography?
Reply 31
Original post by mermaid101
I got an offer at Jesus and managed to defer it to a 2015 start. I did next to no interview prep as its impossible to know what will come up and my school were completely useless. As long as you have a genuine interest for the subject it will come across during interview and hopefully help secure a place.

Do you remember any of the questions they asked you? How did you find the interview overall?
Reply 32

Hi, congrats for your offer, and I'd like to ask what exactly do you mean by "a genuine interest" in this context? Is it something like many dumb/non-academic people applying for Land Economy because they think it's a 'doss' subject that being interested makes a difference? Or do you mean that you already knew lots of stuff without making an extra effort because of your interest for the subject?

I have also applied to Homerton, however heard nothing
Original post by PriyankaJ
Do you remember any of the questions they asked you? How did you find the interview overall?

Yeah a few, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say them? Mostly opinion based questions rather than q's demanding you to know an answer (besides from some basic theory). I really enjoyed my interview, I found that we were talking about stuff I had an interest in and I learned a lot from it. It was also relatively informal so basically although some stuff was a bit tough the interviewers would hint and guide you through the answers.

Original post by Ombre
Hi, congrats for your offer, and I'd like to ask what exactly do you mean by "a genuine interest" in this context? Is it something like many dumb/non-academic people applying for Land Economy because they think it's a 'doss' subject that being interested makes a difference? Or do you mean that you already knew lots of stuff without making an extra effort because of your interest for the subject?

Thanks! I would say knowing stuff around the subject helps from like general reading and stuff learned in geog/econ but then again a lot of the interview isn't really knowledge based as such (as many applicants haven't studied related subjects) I would say that its about being able to think about new topics you haven't really learned about before and showing that you're interested in what you're learning either through the article or what the interviewer is telling you. I think the way I found to do this was talking through what was going through my though processes rather than giving a straight answer as most answers aren't right or wrong and giving reasons for your opinion (lots of opinion based questions). It's also so important to ask questions if need be because (in my case anyway) the interviewers were super-friendly and encouraged them as you aren't expected to know all the answers. I'm not sure if this makes sense and I hope it helps a bit!
Got an Interview from Pembroke on the 15th

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Yeah a few, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say them? Mostly opinion based questions rather than q's demanding you to know an answer (besides from some basic theory). I really enjoyed my interview, I found that we were talking about stuff I had an interest in and I learned a lot from it. It was also relatively informal so basically although some stuff was a bit tough the interviewers would hint and guide you through the answers.

Thanks! I would say knowing stuff around the subject helps from like general reading and stuff learned in geog/econ but then again a lot of the interview isn't really knowledge based as such (as many applicants haven't studied related subjects) I would say that its about being able to think about new topics you haven't really learned about before and showing that you're interested in what you're learning either through the article or what the interviewer is telling you. I think the way I found to do this was talking through what was going through my though processes rather than giving a straight answer as most answers aren't right or wrong and giving reasons for your opinion (lots of opinion based questions). It's also so important to ask questions if need be because (in my case anyway) the interviewers were super-friendly and encouraged them as you aren't expected to know all the answers. I'm not sure if this makes sense and I hope it helps a bit!

Yes it makes sense and is really helpful, thank you! I love how you describe the interview as a comfortable situation like that, completely stopped me from replaying this scenario where saying anything extra comes across as pestering or phoney. Appears that obsessive excessive reading up on general economic theory and development policy etc. is likely to be kind of useless, but then again some of it might provide the generic answer models to blurt out, in case it'll be different/awkward/weird for me and they'll trigger a thought blackout.

On a different note, how are you spending your gap year and how's it going so far? :smile:
I have an interview at Pembroke!

My other choices are:

Warwick (offer)
Bristol (offer)
Nottingham (still waiting)
Durham (still waiting)
Reply 38
anyone going to homerton friday for the interview?
Reply 39
Original post by Peter1Rabbit
any other fitz applicants?

Me! Interview on the 11th :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending