The Student Room Group

Which one of these unis best for Supply Chain Management MSc

Hey all,

sorry for making a new thread if there was already similar threads like this.

I have questions, i have been offered unconditionally by Newcastle University, University of Sheffield and University of Manchester for a postgraduate in Operations and Supply Chain Management. Which one do you think that i should take? all of the courses starts in September. And i am also considering to apply to Strathclyde.

FYI, i will be considered as international student and tuition fee is also my consideration.

Thank you for all of your help guys!
Reply 1
All 3 MSc SCM are solid programmes at these unis. Strathclyde is a good choice as its B-School offers well regarded MScs and for home students a good ROI.

Cranfield SOM offers an excellent SCM, Cranfield's the tuition is lower than London colleges or Warwick.

Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by Tcannon
All 3 MSc SCM are solid programmes at these unis. Strathclyde is a good choice as its B-School offers well regarded MScs and for home students a good ROI.

Cranfield SOM offers an excellent SCM, Cranfield's the tuition is lower than London colleges or Warwick.

Good luck

Hey Tcannon, thanks for your reply.

I have taken a look for cranfield but the tuition fee is quite high for me. It is around 20k for international student.

However, if you could rank those 4 unis (newcastle, manchester, sheffield and strathclyde) in terms of reputation and the quality, how would you suggest?

Thank you for your help!
Reply 3
Oh sorry, I am home student and did not consider the overseas tuition. What is your prior undergrad degree? It depends on your goals and profile. But generally speaking:

Manchester> Strathclyde >> Sheffield > Newcastle

This may vary depending on areas of interest as each programme has its strength. I spoke a friend who read MSc Operations at Lancaster and she was happy. But Lancaster focuses more on Tech Operations rather SCM. she found a good job.
Reply 4
Original post by Tcannon
Oh sorry, I am home student and did not consider the overseas tuition. What is your prior undergrad degree? It depends on your goals and profile. But generally speaking:

Manchester> Strathclyde >> Sheffield > Newcastle

This may vary depending on areas of interest as each programme has its strength. I spoke a friend who read MSc Operations at Lancaster and she was happy. But Lancaster focuses more on Tech Operations rather SCM. she found a good job.

hey tcannon, thanks for yout info! and sorry for upping old thread since now ive just got a greenlight from my parents for my masters (since they are paying lol)

my previous degree was an international business administration and management in indonesia. i also got a degree from a german university of applied science in the same field.

I think i choose strathclyde for my masters and taking procurement and supply chain management as my subject. is that one good? since i see strathclyde's overall is lower than other 3 unis (manchester, sheffield and newcastle), but for business management is the top amongst others. do you have any suggestion regarding this?

actually i still cant decide to choose for strathclyde and newcastle. i may ditch manchester and sheffield since it is too costly for me.

Thank you!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi there,

Thank you so much for posting this question; I was confused about the same thing

Thank again! :biggrin:
Reply 6
You are correct that for the overall parent uni, Strathclyde is less known and lower ranked than Man, Sheff and Newcastle as these unis have larger student bodies and offer more subjects, particularly in engineering. But if you look at subject rankings for Econ and Management (Financial Times European B-School, Guardian), Strathclyde performs well and is clearly peer with MBS and well ahead of Sheff and Newcastle in Manangement. Which FH did you attend in Ger?

Original post by komtugeder
hey tcannon, thanks for yout info! and sorry for upping old thread since now ive just got a greenlight from my parents for my masters (since they are paying lol)

my previous degree was an international business administration and management in indonesia. i also got a degree from a german university of applied science in the same field.

I think i choose strathclyde for my masters and taking procurement and supply chain management as my subject. is that one good? since i see strathclyde's overall is lower than other 3 unis (manchester, sheffield and newcastle), but for business management is the top amongst others. do you have any suggestion regarding this?

actually i still cant decide to choose for strathclyde and newcastle. i may ditch manchester and sheffield since it is too costly for me.

Thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by Tcannon
You are correct that for the overall parent uni, Strathclyde is less known and lower ranked than Man, Sheff and Newcastle as these unis have larger student bodies and offer more subjects, particularly in engineering. But if you look at subject rankings for Econ and Management (Financial Times European B-School, Guardian), Strathclyde performs well and is clearly peer with MBS and well ahead of Sheff and Newcastle in Manangement. Which FH did you attend in Ger?

I attended FH Südwestfalen last year, i think it is not as well known as other unis or FHs.

Yeah i checked the complete university ranking for business and management subject and it is number 9 for strathclyde which is very nice. But if im not mistaken, procurement and supplychain management is under engineering department so i dont know whether this subject is classified in engineering or business and managemnt.

Also this question is always bearing in my mind, does strathclyde has good "bargaining power" for my future employment (compared to newcastle for example)? Because frankly, i find it quite hard for me to find an ideal job since i am holding a too broad bachelor degree which is international business administration and management, thats why i could really take a chance for a postgraduate with a specialized subject and good reputation.

Thanks once again for your help :biggrin:
Hey where did u go eventually and how was the experience?
Reply 9
Hi! May I know which one you chose?

I’m from ID too and have been secured places to study MSc of Supply Chain and Logistics Management at University of Sheffield & Cranfield University.

Any advise on which uni should I take the course to? Many thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending