The Student Room Group

NHS Bursary Applications Rejections/How to Appeal?

Just wanted to know if anyone has gone through the appeals process with NHS bursary scheme? Any tips/advice, and whether or not they were successful? (Plus it would be good to get an idea of how many people are rejected each year?)

I am not at that 'rejection' stage yet I am still waiting to hear from them, but I am trying to prepare myself for what I feel is inevitable : - (

I spent 18, not consecutive, months abroad working/travelling. I knew this would affect my residency when it comes to applying for a NHS bursary. I did ask them before I even applied for a course and they told me that exceptions are made and its advised me to apply.

I have only seen a handful of old posts about this, so it would be good to get some current information.

The who issue of residency does seem a little unfair IMO, to be a born here, be a British citizen and spend your whole life in a country with the exception of a year or two, could make you ineligible for a bursary yet someone not from the UK, you has lived here for only three years and may or may not have made any financial contribution to the country is eligible??????

Thanks
Reply 1
Certainly we've had people appeal Student Finance rejections for similar reasons, after what is effectively an extended gap year. I understand that NHS funding entitlement works in the same way.

You need to provide proof that you maintained a permanent base in the UK throughout your travels, to show that the UK remained what is termed your 'ordinary residence'. This is what maintains your residential status as a Home student. You can produce documents or supporting letters for things like remaining registered to vote at a UK address, being registered with a GP/dentist, keeping a UK bank account etc. You need to show that you remained tied to the UK throughout your travels.

You can also prove that you were only travelling, by providing copies of tourist or limited/temporary work visas from other countries. Essentially, these demonstrate that you were "just passing through" and not trying to settle away from the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending