The Student Room Group

Why so few ex-poly students on TSR?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asexual Demigod
Replies in bold.

We only had one peice of groupwork, in cartography. Several where we did data collection together then went out seperate ways for reports.

Haha, good luck getting on at your workplace by yourself. You know you have to work in teams for projects at work, you won't achieve anything if everyone in your group is a pretencious dickhead who views everyone beneath them as sub human. Oh and there are plenty of people out there who will think themselves (and probably are) smarter than you.
Reply 181
Original post by missfats
the whole point of education is to progress onto a career.
You could not possibly be more wrong on this. By that logic, you're basically suggesting every student should choose a vocational degree that emphasises employability and careers guidance from day one. At the institution where I study, many of us genuinely want to learn from leading academics. These are professors eminent in their respective fields that have worked for years to attain the knowledge they are now passing on. That is what it means to be 'educated'. Having a degree is to be 'qualified'. They are different things.

Maybe that's what you people see as the purpose of education. Last time I checked, the purpose of education was to become educated and well-endowed with knowledge and experience within your chosen field. Seems nowadays the true purpose of education is perverted for the sake of money and material possessions. Unfortunate, but predictable amongst the lower classes.
I could not agree more.
Original post by Pegasus2
We only had one peice of groupwork, in cartography. Several where we did data collection together then went out seperate ways for reports.

Haha, good luck getting on at your workplace by yourself. You know you have to work in teams for projects at work, you won't achieve anything if everyone in your group is a pretencious dickhead who views everyone beneath them as sub human. Oh and there are plenty of people out there who will think themselves (and probably are) smarter than you.

I'm well aware that there are those endowed with gifts I could never possess. I may be elitist, but I'm not deluded. I think you'll find that there are plenty of jobs where you can work independently and behind the scenes with little need for assistance from others. Insulting me by referring to a phallus is the epitome of immaturity and further cements my lowly opinion of you.
Original post by missfats
the whole point of education is to progress onto a career.

I doubt doing a medicine degree will be of any use, if you do not get a job at the end.

Now you are joking! I like you, also value university prestige however unlike you I understand that not everyone wants to do a rigorous academic course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The point of schooling may be to progress onto a career, but the point of education is to make the most of your intellectual capacity.
I'm well aware that there are those endowed with gifts I could never possess. I may be elitist, but I'm not deluded. I think you'll find that there are plenty of jobs where you can work independently and behind the scenes with little need for assistance from others. Insulting me by referring to a phallus is the epitome of immaturity and further cements my lowly opinion of you.

Keep squirming. I was refering to a position you might find youself in, which would give you cause to reflect on how you act, not you yourself but I guess you missed that.

You're not just elitist.
(edited 9 years ago)
16? So did you not even take A Levels? Tsk, tsk. I thought such easy qualifications would be manageable for someone as self-absorbed in their own ego as you...

Large companies have a lot of prestige? Sorry, I'd rather belong to a prestigious academic institution than a money-making powerhouse. You obviously don't see the inherent value in education and care solely about jobs and money. Pity there aren't less shallow people in this world.

No, I had the choice to do A levels. I chose not to because I knew what I liked. I wasn't even in a "Just allowed" bracket. I was definitely eligible for our school's sixth form

(This is one of the best state schools in West Yorkshire btw)

Also, I've noticed that you can actually make a lot more money in the smaller companies

Maybe that's what you people see as the purpose of education. Last time I checked, the purpose of education was to become educated and well-endowed with knowledge and experience within your chosen field. Seems nowadays the true purpose of education is perverted for the sake of money and material possessions. Unfortunate, but predictable amongst the lower classes.

Correct. Not everyone is ambitious or highly intelligent so would not be capable of undertaking a rigorous academic course even if they wanted to.

For me, ambition and learning do mean money. And ultimately, arent we all doing that? To better our job prospects?

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
You're completely ignoring his point - that Staffordshire has a very high standard of education in his particular course. Is it as good as Oxbridge etc. overall? Of course not, but it's still a respectable provider of that course: he's getting a good education, because his university is highly regarded in that course. You're focusing too much on the reputation of the overall name, not of the department.

Basically this. Thanks!

Very well, I apologise for generalising.

And again.Thanks :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by de_monies
No, I had the choice to do A levels. I chose not to because I knew what I liked. I wasn't even in a "Just allowed" bracket. I was definitely eligible for our school's sixth form

(This is one of the best state schools in West Yorkshire btw)

Also, I've noticed that you can actually make a lot more money in the smaller companies

For me, ambition and learning do mean money. And ultimately, arent we all doing that? To better our job prospects?

Basically this. Thanks!

And again.Thanks :smile:

I'm not going to university to better my job prospects even though where I attend inevitably will.
Replies in bold.

It's quite silly to believe degrees at RG unis are inherently harder than degrees at ex-ploys. In the case of course rigor, it's very difficult to come to a solid conclusion. You'd have to be much more specific, preferably speaking from experience to have your comments respected. Is a degree in History at Durham harder than a Biochemistry degree at Oxford Brookes? Who's supposedly "smarter" than the other? I really don't think there's a solid answer.

Degrees from a RG may well be generally more rigorous than degrees from ex-ploys (which wouldn't be the fault of either student). But in the world of employment, this hardly matters. The rigor of a course is the decision of X university. An employer recruiting graduates understands that the best candidate for X job could be at any university. A basic requirement for a graduate scheme would be academic aptitude, so a 2.1 or above requirement is understandable (although some organisations place less emphasis on academics so they may accept 2.2s, Thirds, or no degree at all). Once a basic threshold has been placed, other more important requirements take precedence (which would include being easy to work with!).

Education and employment needs to be differentiated more. They certainly don't neatly correlate!! If you care so much about academic elitism then you're better of staying in school.
Original post by Iamyourfather
If you care so much about academic elitism then you're better of staying in school.

I plan to. I want to work in education when I graduate where prestige and rigour actually matter. I don't want to be classed the same as a London Met graduate simply because we both attained firsts.
Is a degree in History at Durham harder than a Biochemistry degree at Oxford Brookes? Who's supposedly "smarter" than the other? I really don't think there's a solid answer.

You're being disingenuous here. You must compare the same degree from different institutions. A History degree at Durham is far superior in content and rigour to the same degree at Oxford Brookes. You can tell this by a cursory glance at the syllabi.
You're being disingenuous here. You must compare the same degree from different institutions. A History degree at Durham is far superior in content and rigour to the same degree at Oxford Brookes. You can tell this by a cursory glance at the syllabi.

Not being disingenuous. Your claims were so vague and generalised, who would know what you were suggesting?

Again, in terms of employment on a graduate scheme, a 2.1 or above is generally accepted. The choice of difficulty an institution chooses to implement is their business.

From what I gather, you're behaving as though you're a superior being to those who attend ex-ploys. You've created a presumption about a large group and stuck with it. You won't get very far in life with the attitude you possess. I think it's time you start dealing with every individual and their cases differently. Academic education in this country is for anyone who wants it. If you went to an ex-ploy (for whatever reason) to study History and want, as you put it, a "far superior and rigorous" education then you're more than welcome to do so at elite universities via MA or PhD programmes. They certainly won't discriminate in the way you seem to be.
When you are a dedicated student why would you respect those who just laze around? :rolleyes:

It's called courtesy. Who are you to judge?

Besides, if these "wasters" arent deserving of your respect and attend "crappy" universities where they "have no hope", why are you so worried about their prospects. Who cares if they get firsts and 2:1s - their "lesser degree" won't be as valued as your prestigious RG uni.

Beginning to see the irony with your elitism now? You can't have it both ways.
Original post by Mad Vlad
It's called courtesy. Who are you to judge?

Besides, if these "wasters" arent deserving of your respect and attend "crappy" universities where they "have no hope", why are you so worried about their prospects. Who cares if they get firsts and 2:1s - their "lesser degree" won't be as valued as your prestigious RG uni.

Beginning to see the irony with your elitism now? You can't have it both ways.

I'm not worried about their prospects. I'm just pointing out that their 2.1s and firsts aren't worth as much.
You won't get very far in life with the attitude you possess.

I beg to differ. I've already achieved far superior grades to many of my peers and I attend a top university. Not only will I have a superior education, I am naturally more capable and intuitive - otherwise I wouldn't have passed the external assessments and interviews when I applied.
It's quite silly to believe degrees at RG unis are inherently harder than degrees at ex-ploys. In the case of course rigor, it's very difficult to come to a solid conclusion. You'd have to be much more specific, preferably speaking from experience to have your comments respected. Is a degree in History at Durham harder than a Biochemistry degree at Oxford Brookes? Who's supposedly "smarter" than the other? I really don't think there's a solid answer.

Degrees from a RG may well be generally more rigorous than degrees from ex-ploys (which wouldn't be the fault of either student). But in the world of employment, this hardly matters. The rigor of a course is the decision of X university. An employer recruiting graduates understands that the best candidate for X job could be at any university. A basic requirement for a graduate scheme would be academic aptitude, so a 2.1 or above requirement is understandable (although some organisations place less emphasis on academics so they may accept 2.2s, Thirds, or no degree at all). Once a basic threshold has been placed, other more important requirements take precedence (which would include being easy to work with!).

Education and employment needs to be differentiated more. They certainly don't neatly correlate!! If you care so much about academic elitism then you're better of staying in school.

I can only speak for maths at Oxford, but the difference in difficulty between the course I am doing and ones at other places is vast. Degrees from ex polys aren't even compareable
Original post by Hollywood Hogan
Why so few ex-poly students posting on TSR?

TSR is often not very poly-friendly. :tongue:
Original post by Crystalz
YES, I know this is going off topic but I know someone that achieved higher than 3A's at A level and went on to study at an ex poly that asked for 240 ucas points :s-smilie: this completely baffles me

Original post by Hollywood Hogan
And what if moving to Liverpool isn't an option? It is kind of out of reach for most people, and not an affluent city.

I had a friend who got 3A's and attended an ex-poly because it offered £1000 bursary to ppl with 3A's.
I went to an ex-poly get me out of here

Coming soon to ITV
Original post by de_monies
If I had the choice of going to my university over say Oxford, Id pick my uni any day, considering that we're supposedly one of the best in Europe for our course, and we have amazing industry links

???
I went to an ex-poly. I beat RG grads to get my current job at a large firm. They were only hiring two people in total and I started the job with a Cambridge graduate (who has experience)!

At the end of the day, we're both in the same place, earning the same amount. In fact, I'm given more responsibility than the Cambridge grad already. Life isn't all about which university you go to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending