The Student Room Group

Contact lenses

I have such an annoying problem. Ive been at uni for a week and my monthly contact lenses are really playing me up. One of them has just ripped twice in my hand (even though one was brand new) and its costing loads of money to replace them! Does anyone know why this is? Its never happened before. I was thinking maybe it was because Im wearing them longer than usual? Please help
Maybe they're a faulty batch? If you wear them a long time they dry out a bit so they might be more fragile. Just try to be really careful with them and not touch them other than putting them in and taking them out.
Reply 2
Stop wearing monthlys and wear dailys but wear them for a week or so, however long they last really. Get some contact lense solution and them keep them the same as you would monthlys. Then if you rip or lose one you will always have lots spare :biggrin:
Reply 3
Triplet1
Stop wearing monthlys and wear dailys but wear them for a week or so, however long they last really. Get some contact lense solution and them keep them the same as you would monthlys. Then if you rip or lose one you will always have lots spare :biggrin:

That's really not good. Dailies are meant to be used for one-day only for a reason. You can't treat them as monthlies because they are designed for one day use - they are thinner than normal and less durable, etc.
Reply 4
Triplet1
Stop wearing monthlys and wear dailys but wear them for a week or so

Please please please don't do this!! Amount of people that used to come into work with really minging eye infections because they did this was appaling.

Would you be able to change to focus dailies or something?
Ask your optometrist, they'll may be better suited to you.
If your wearing them for longer than you usually do then maybe something like focus night + day or another brand of extended wear lenses. Again ask your optom.
Reply 5
Adhsur
That's really not good. Dailies are meant to be used for one-day only for a reason. You can't treat them as monthlies because they are designed for one day use - they are thinner than normal and less durable, etc.

umm well both me and my sister have been doing it for a while and our eyes are fine. we looked it up on the internet before and there were loads of people sayingthere is hardly any difference between them.

" independent expert argued that Acuvue, Bausch & Lomb, Coopervision and Sauflon dailies were virtually the same as their monthlies, and if subjected to the same care routine might last just as long"
Reply 6
Personally I think daily ones are better anyway. I tend to have loads more than I need so its no big deal if I accidentally tear one. You can carry spares with you in case one falls out and you dont have to bother with cleaning them. Also apparently they're safer and more hygenic than monthly or weekly ones which you have to clean. Something to do with bacteria being resistant to the cleaning solutions. However I cant remember who told me that so I may be completely wrong.
Reply 7
by work i was refering to an opticians.
I don't deny that for some people it may work temporarily, but the risk of infection is much greater and though it might work for a while I wouldn't recomend that anyone made a habit out of it.
In an emergency ok, but not as standard practice.
Conjuncitvitus is NOT pretty. (and that's the least of your worries)

Ask your optom about extended wear monthlies or dailies.
Reply 8
about 6months ago, i was using boots monthly contact lenses, and they kept tearing constantly. i ended up swapping to Bausch & Lomb monthlys as these are made of a slightly different material, so are thicker than some lenses. I am also on a scheme with boots, so that if i tear a lense, they give me a spare one to replace it.

youre eyes may be dryer if you are wearing your lenses more often. you may find switching to a different solution might help ie one aimed at preventing dryness. i have just started using the Complete moisture plus solution, and it is so much better than the solution i was using before.

Latest

Trending

Trending