The Student Room Group

Don't know what to say..

So i've been with my boyfriend 6 months now, and we were talking about University...

He got 4As, 8Bs at GCSE and is now taking 4AS levels at college. He said well he doesn't even think it's worth replying unless it's for Oxbridge or Cambridge. I said well what would your 5 choices... He didn't realize you could only apply for 5, and that also you could only apply for either Oxbridge or Cambridge.. so I said, have you actually really looked at different Unis and at entry requirements etc...

His response was basically to laugh and say as long as he can get 4As at AS Oxford and Cambridge would be stupid to turn him away. I said does he think he can, and he said 2 definitely but the other two would probably be Bs...

I asked if he realised how competitive they were, he said yes but he would get in easy... I asked what would he put in his personal statement etc to make it stand out and he said he already stood out because he was him...

I want him to go far and be amazing but I don't feel he's really listening or realises how competitive spots are..he doesn't do anything: he hasn't done any volunteering, any work experience, he hasn't signed up for any extra curriculars...

I don't know whether or not I should say anything- I don't want to offend him yet at the same time I want him to succeed and at the current time I don't think he will? I love him but 4As 8Bs and AABB at AS aren't going to get him a high spot by themselves..

Oops, just realised how long this post is:/ sorry guys, any help appreciated..
Lol he sounds like a cocky ****. Although Oxford and Cambridge seem to like that sort.
Reply 2
Original post by Carpe Vinum
Lol he sounds like a cocky ****. Although Oxford and Cambridge seem to like that sort.

I'll be honest, he is a little cocky but then his family idolise him..
He could go somewhere great though but he just doesn't understand that his grades won't cut it and he has literally nothing else at all but I don't want to offend him...
He's being ridiculous and is completely out of touch with the real world. Oxford look at GCSE's for many courses, specifically percentage of A*'s. He has 0%. He's likely out.
Cambridge want not just A's but also top UMS marks, usually 90s. He's not even confident of As, he's likely out.
Now even a person who DOES meet this criteria must then compete for places via entrance tests and interview because so many actually do.
You need to talk to him. You need to look up the websites and show him this info. He needs a reality check or he'll end up with nothing.
Reply 4
With respect, I have to say he does sound quite cocky and egotistical...but maybe getting a knock back by not getting in Oxford/Cambridge might be a worthwhile life lesson. Not everything gets handed to you on a plate, you have to work bloody hard for it. You can be a top student at school, but that means nothing in the real world especially if you don't put the extra effort in to reach your goals.
That being said, you could tell him what you've told us; but if he still chooses to ignore it then he'll only have himself to blame if he doesn't end up where he wants to be.
Reply 5
Original post by joker12345
He's being ridiculous and is completely out of touch with the real world. Oxford look at GCSE's for many courses, specifically percentage of A*'s. He has 0%. He's likely out.
Cambridge want not just A's but also top UMS marks, usually 90s. He's not even confident of As, he's likely out.
Now even a person who DOES meet this criteria must then compete for places via entrance tests and interview because so many actually do.
You need to talk to him. You need to look up the websites and show him this info. He needs a reality check or he'll end up with nothing.

Original post by LizMrg
With respect, I have to say he does sound quite cocky and egotistical...but maybe getting a knock back by not getting in Oxford/Cambridge might be a worthwhile life lesson. Not everything gets handed to you on a plate, you have to work bloody hard for it. You can be a top student at school, but that means nothing in the real world especially if you don't put the extra effort in to reach your goals.
That being said, you could tell him what you've told us; but if he still chooses to ignore it then he'll only have himself to blame if he doesn't end up where he wants to be.

I have tried to talk to him but it doesn't go in. I've tried to suggest extracurriculars etc which i'll think he'll enjoy but he's not interested. I said why doesn't he look for a job or anything just so that he has something else to talk about but he says that he doesn't need a job, he gets an allowance. He is a really great person but I don't think he's going to be able to display that to Unis at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending