The Student Room Group

Whats the best way to revise for IGCSE english language B from complete scratch?

When I say complete scratch, I literally mean from scratch because I don't even know what an adverb is. Yes, I can do a quick google search but ive forget it within 30 mins.

I mean, of course I can read and comprehend what im reading, but for example; I don't know how to spot the differences between writing styles like persuasive, narrative, expository, and descriptive etc.. I don't have enough knowledge about these things.

This makes it hard for me to answer certain question in detail, especially in section A when they ask to 'describe how the writer presents his opinions etc..."

I understand the extracts im reading, but I don't know enough about ENGLISH for me to put it into words etc.. if that makes sense?

Any tips, suggestions please?
When you say "I don't know enough about English", is English not your first language?
Reply 2
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
When you say "I don't know enough about English", is English not your first language?

Yes, it is my first languge but I rarely attended school and never even sat my GCSE's. Im much older now and resitting them.

I can read ok in general etc... but what im saying is, i don't know all the terminologies and technicalities in english that is needed to pass these kind of exams etc..
Reply 3
Original post by ZenDixon
Yes, it is my first languge but I rarely attended school and never even sat my GCSE's. Im much older now and resitting them.

I can read ok in general etc... but what im saying is, i don't know all the terminologies and technicalities in english that is needed to pass these kind of exams etc..

@PinkMobilePhone

So do you have any tips or suggestions? Considering English 'is' my first language, but im just completely hopeless when it comes to the knowledge I need.

Where does one start?
Reply 4
Original post by ZenDixon
When I say complete scratch, I literally mean from scratch because I don't even know what an adverb is. Yes, I can do a quick google search but ive forget it within 30 mins.

I mean, of course I can read and comprehend what im reading, but for example; I don't know how to spot the differences between writing styles like persuasive, narrative, expository, and descriptive etc.. I don't have enough knowledge about these things.

This makes it hard for me to answer certain question in detail, especially in section A when they ask to 'describe how the writer presents his opinions etc..."

I understand the extracts im reading, but I don't know enough about ENGLISH for me to put it into words etc.. if that makes sense?

Any tips, suggestions please?

Heya!

To improve your understanding of English writing styles and effectively analyze texts, start by reading a variety of literature and non-fiction works across different genres, this has helped me boost my grades a lot :h:. Take notes on the author's tone, language use, and techniques employed to convey their message. If it helps, here is an article that has great tips!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Well you need to learn the basics first. I suggest going through BBC Bitesize lessons. You say you forget them after you've learned them - you're going to have to do them over and over. Repetition is key here.

Quick Reply

Latest