The Student Room Group

"Teach yourself series"???? Advice please

Ok guys, im actually a (G)imperial Engineer but i want to go back to french and german as i did them for GCSE and i cant remember a thing now. Are these a good series to use? I thought the best way would be to have the audio sets as well as the vocab and grammar books etc. They saeem to have excellent ratings on amazon.

http://www.teachyourself.co.uk/language.htm

Thats the complete series

I was going to do french and german and then once ive mastered them, move onto spanish and italian.
Reply 1
Well you won't master anything just using those.
Reply 2
Fleece
Well you won't master anything just using those.

are they good just to get a good grounding? I mean they sell a conversation set which included 3x CD's worth of conversations, i havent really seen much else like this.
Reply 3
Yeah, they'll give you a grounding, but it'll take a hell of a lot more than 3 CDs to master a language.
Reply 4
EPD
Yeah, they'll give you a grounding, but it'll take a hell of a lot more than 3 CDs to master a language.

ah- what im trying to get at is, there isnt really much more i can get to begin with?

Obviously visiting the countries will be the ultimate method to master, yeh?
Reply 5
It'd take more than just a visit - you'd have to live there for a good while to become fluent, but yeah, you're right, immersing yourself is the best way.
Reply 6
They should give you a decent idea of the basics. Most Teach Yourself books are fairly light on grammar (except the Latin. My God...), so once you've read through them you might want to get a grammar book. Then read lots of stuff in the language.
Reply 7
burntgorilla
They should give you a decent idea of the basics. Most Teach Yourself books are fairly light on grammar (except the Latin. My God...), so once you've read through them you might want to get a grammar book. Then read lots of stuff in the language.

yeh if u check that link, it has a "complete course" im gonna get those, see what books thya have and then get the ones that arent there ie vocabulary, gramamr etc

Latest

Trending

Trending