The Student Room Group

I have a feeling that my computer science grade will be very low.

This year i will be taking my exams in may, however, since I do OCR computer science, i've heard that last years paper was incredibly difficult... a question or two apparently wasn't even on the spec (this is what i've been told)

Do not get me wrong, I do enjoy computer science, yet I have a feeling I may not do so good, my recent test came out as a grade 4, lower than my target of a 5. Yet I wish to get grades 6 and above as I wish to do CS as an A level.

Does anyone have any good ways of revising Component 1 and 2 so that more info can stick in my head, since computer science is a bit of a pain to revise?
And what is the possibility that OCR will do equally as difficult papers this year?
Reply 1
Original post by jelly-fishes
This year i will be taking my exams in may, however, since I do OCR computer science, i've heard that last years paper was incredibly difficult... a question or two apparently wasn't even on the spec (this is what i've been told)

Do not get me wrong, I do enjoy computer science, yet I have a feeling I may not do so good, my recent test came out as a grade 4, lower than my target of a 5. Yet I wish to get grades 6 and above as I wish to do CS as an A level.

Does anyone have any good ways of revising Component 1 and 2 so that more info can stick in my head, since computer science is a bit of a pain to revise?
And what is the possibility that OCR will do equally as difficult papers this year?

i also do ocr computer science!! to revise, i recommend the website CS Newbs
it's a hugee help and great resource for condensed notes on each unit of component 1 and 2.
personally, i don't find myself revising for computer science using traditional methods such as flashcards, notes, etc., but i do tend to watch through youtube videos, especially on the channel MrBrownCS, the channel has a playlist for both components of the content, so i definitely recommend watching them!!

a combination of both videos and looking through the website to take necessary notes should hopefully be enough to revise the content because, personally, i find computer science as quite an easy subject. if you want, you could make flashcards on key definitions, or use online flashcards to save time making them yourself.
the final step, and most important part of revision is to do a bunch of practice questions, which helps consolidate your knowledge and your revision.
i'm not quite sure of the difficulty level of the ocr papers this year, sorry :frown:
goodluck with your revision and let me know if you want to ask anything else!!
Reply 2
Original post by milktee

it's a hugee help and great resource for condensed notes on each unit of component 1 and 2.
personally, i don't find myself revising for computer science using traditional methods such as flashcards, notes, etc., but i do tend to watch through youtube videos, especially on the channel MrBrownCS, the channel has a playlist for both components of the content, so i definitely recommend watching them!!

a combination of both videos and looking through the website to take necessary notes should hopefully be enough to revise the content because, personally, i find computer science as quite an easy subject. if you want, you could make flashcards on key definitions, or use online flashcards to save time making them yourself.
the final step, and most important part of revision is to do a bunch of practice questions, which helps consolidate your knowledge and your revision.
i'm not quite sure of the difficulty level of the ocr papers this year, sorry :frown:

Thank you! Traditionoal flashcards have never worked for me and honesly at this point i was just copying all my notes on a google doc which wasnt benefitial at all...
So thank you! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by milktee

Thank you! Traditionoal flashcards have never worked for me and honesly at this point i was just copying all my notes on a google doc which wasnt benefitial at all...

yup copying notes is never the way to go because you tell yourself that you're being productive, but in reality it's the worst way of revising as it doesn't actually help you remember and understand the content.
this is another obvious tip, but say things OUT LOUD whilst revising, or even better, teach it to someone else, like your friends or siblings for example. if you're able to teach it to someone else then it shows you have a good understanding of the topic, which is a big plus in mastering content.
no problemm, I'm glad to help 🤍🤍
Reply 4
Original post by milktee
Original post by milktee

yup copying notes is never the way to go because you tell yourself that you're being productive, but in reality it's the worst way of revising as it doesn't actually help you remember and understand the content.
this is another obvious tip, but say things OUT LOUD whilst revising, or even better, teach it to someone else, like your friends or siblings for example. if you're able to teach it to someone else then it shows you have a good understanding of the topic, which is a big plus in mastering content.

Thank you so much!!! <3
Reply 5

Thank you so much!!! <3
of courseee, anytime <3
Reply 6
oh god the quote came out all funky again 😭
Reply 7
Original post by milktee
oh god the quote came out all funky again 😭

TSR moment 😝❗️
Reply 8
TSR moment 😝❗️

literally 😭🙏
Reply 9

Knowledge organisers work well if you have the exact definitions. Here is a free one https://www.smashyourexams.com/free-resources
Reply 10
Original post by probson

Knowledge organisers work well if you have the exact definitions. Here is a free one https://www.smashyourexams.com/free-resources

Thank you so much 😭😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending