The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mw4937
Why can't all non gateway chambers just use Word format apps!!

I find you get more or less the same problems: tick boxes you can't tick, pop-up lists that don't pop-up or have no data... I just end up writing "yes", "no", etc. But at least with word processing docs you can duplicate the number of entries, or extend boxes/tables more easily if your data doesn't fit.
Lamb Building have extended their deadline to 1 May http://www.lambbuilding.co.uk/join_us/pupillage.php
For everyone still waiting for Church Court, we should hear on 1st May according to this http://www.churchcourtchambers.co.uk/index.php/news/299-pupillage-application-update
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 383
Can anyone say when Gateway chambers take up references? Is it before offers are made or after offers are made? Presumably, they don't need to take them up at all, if they so choose?
Original post by basbar
Can anyone say when Gateway chambers take up references? Is it before offers are made or after offers are made? Presumably, they don't need to take them up at all, if they so choose?

Any of the above I would imagine.
Reply 385
Original post by basbar

Depends on the Chambers. I've previously had one PG set ask for references before second round interviews. Some non-PG sets ask you to submit your references before they even select for first round (e.g. Crown Office Chambers if I recall correctly).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by scotstudent
If it is 400. We would know that we stand a 1 in 10 chance of interview at that set.

I doubt that they are picking applications out at random - which is the only way you would have a 1 in 10 chance. Being realistic about it, the chances of you being interviewed are probably related to the university you went to, and the class of your degree.

So if you have a first from Oxford, you have a pretty good chance, if you have a 2:2 from a non-Russell Group university you have a very slim chance.

I think the key is trying to make your application stand out from the rest, when chambers are doing the first round paper sift.
I'm having doubts about my Gateway applications. What's the general opinion as to the difference between the following two questions:

- Why do you believe you will make a good barrister?

- Please identify any experiences / skills gained that you believe may help you in your career.

I'm struggling to see a difference at all. The first of those questions necessitates an answer that references your skills or experiences. I've talked about different things in each of them but I don't know if I'm missing something.

I would be grateful for your views on this!
Original post by Lord Hoffmann
I'm having doubts about my Gateway applications. What's the general opinion as to the difference between the following two questions:

- Why do you believe you will make a good barrister?

- Please identify any experiences / skills gained that you believe may help you in your career.

I'm struggling to see a difference at all. The first of those questions necessitates an answer that references your skills or experiences. I've talked about different things in each of them but I don't know if I'm missing something.

I would be grateful for your views on this!

I think the first one is where you have to put your answer with all your most important points, and the second is for extras that are maybe more specific skills or experiences. I wouldn't leave anything really important for the second. But then again...could just treat it as an invitation to use more words to answer the first. I don't think it matters that much as long as both are answered with a logical structure and well-written....probably people will take different approaches. If the second question had just said 'experiences' I would have taken it as a chance to write about some specific things you've done...but the fact it also says skills makes it seem more general..
Original post by pupil2016
I think the first one is where you have to put your answer with all your most important points, and the second is for extras that are maybe more specific skills or experiences. I wouldn't leave anything really important for the second. But then again...could just treat it as an invitation to use more words to answer the first. I don't think it matters that much as long as both are answered with a logical structure and well-written....probably people will take different approaches. If the second question had just said 'experiences' I would have taken it as a chance to write about some specific things you've done...but the fact it also says skills makes it seem more general..

Yes, I think you're right, and I've taken the same approach. Thanks for the clarification - I was doubting myself!
I've submitted my first Gateway application so that when I apply for the next chambers, the form will remember all the information I have previously inputted. However, it doesn't seem to have done that! It's got my high school stuff from the previous year (very small changes but I have made them) and it hasn't copied across any of the info from the pupillage questionnaire.

Have I done something wrong?
Original post by nearlylegal
I've submitted my first Gateway application so that when I apply for the next chambers, the form will remember all the information I have previously inputted. However, it doesn't seem to have done that! It's got my high school stuff from the previous year (very small changes but I have made them) and it hasn't copied across any of the info from the pupillage questionnaire.

Have I done something wrong?

You have four days to do 12 applications and you've only just started?

Anyway, if you are really bothered about setting the default values for these fields then I'm pretty sure that it is legitimate to set up a new account and start all over again - as long as you only submit applications from that account (ie delete the one you have already submitted).

Pupillage questionnaire answers don't transfer between applications.
Reply 392
Original post by typonaut

Anyway, if you are really bothered about setting the default values for these fields then I'm pretty sure that it is legitimate to set up a new account and start all over again - as long as you only submit applications from that account (ie delete the one you have already submitted).

I'm sure the OP is well aware of their limited time...no need to rub it in. Plenty of people also type out all their answers in Word etc before just copying and pasting them into the Gateway in the final few days - I know that's how I did it.
Original post by typonaut

You have 4 days to do 12 applications and you're wasting time berating people on this forum?

Or, maybe you haven't left it so late. Maybe, like me, you've done your applications on word and are starting to transfer them onto Gateway this morning so actually, you have PLENTY of time to berate people on this forum!

Maybe you shouldn't assume things. And maybe, even if I was only starting today, that would be none of your business.
Reply 394
Well, it's faintly depressing to be a veteran of these threads...

However, I'm polishing off an app and transferring it at the moment. However, it's disappeared from my bookmarked vacancies. Is anybody else having this problem? Has Dere St pulled their pupillage?
Reply 395
Original post by nearlylegal
You have 4 days to do 12 applications and you're wasting time berating people on this forum?

Or, maybe you haven't left it so late. Maybe, like me, you've done your applications on word and are starting to transfer them onto Gateway this morning so actually, you have PLENTY of time to berate people on this forum!

Maybe you shouldn't assume things. And maybe, even if I was only starting today, that would be none of your business.

I have always worked in Word and then transferred across to the PG in the final few days. The PG is, in my view, far too unreliable to work in. The only danger in transferring across is of course the risk of inserting the incorrect response into a particular application.

In any event, does it really matter? So long as you get the application in, then it is in. My understanding is chambers are unable to view applications until after the deadline, so it is irrelevant how late you send it.
Original post by basbar
I have always worked in Word and then transferred across to the PG in the final few days. The PG is, in my view, far too unreliable to work in. The only danger in transferring across is of course the risk of inserting the incorrect response into a particular application.

In any event, does it really matter? So long as you get the application in, then it is in. My understanding is chambers are unable to view applications until after the deadline, so it is irrelevant how late you send it.

I want to know whether they can download them before the deadline! Having sent in quite a few last week I now have early-application remorse and want to change a few things, but not sure if this will show up anywhere?
Reply 397
I've heard they can download before the deadline, or at least used to be able to.
Reply 398
Original post by pupil2016
I want to know whether they can download them before the deadline! Having sent in quite a few last week I now have early-application remorse and want to change a few things, but not sure if this will show up anywhere?

See here: http://www.pupillagegateway.com/timetable-for-atos/

Chambers cannot view applications prior to 4 May.
Reply 399
Original post by JPGR
I've heard they can download before the deadline, or at least used to be able to.

Second this - if you read Mike Hill's blog on applications then he certainly suggests that they have been able to previously.

http://www.mikehillbarrister.com/blog/?p=363

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending