The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

MSc Public Policy UCL 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hi,

I've received an offer for Public Policy from UCL. I'm still waiting for a response from LSE for PMG to make my final decision, but I think I may probably choose UCL as I particularly liked the modules offered in their course.
(edited 9 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by benpweeks
Offer accepted for MSc International Public Policy. Time to start reading...

Congrats -- what exactly are you reading?
Reply 82
I've just applied for this course - worried that I've left it way too late! I applied to a few big public sector grad schemes and didn't quite make the cut, although has made me certain that I want to go into public policy. What sort of first degrees have people done? My undergrad's in Classics at Oxford with a focus on ancient history and ancient & modern political philosophy so basically just tried to spin that to make it relevant to the course, hoping that's relevant enough. How long do they normally take to get back to you?
Reply 83
Original post by aliceb
I've just applied for this course - worried that I've left it way too late! I applied to a few big public sector grad schemes and didn't quite make the cut, although has made me certain that I want to go into public policy. What sort of first degrees have people done? My undergrad's in Classics at Oxford with a focus on ancient history and ancient & modern political philosophy so basically just tried to spin that to make it relevant to the course, hoping that's relevant enough. How long do they normally take to get back to you?

Hi there

I applied to the course in mid-feb and I am waiting on a response. In an email I received I was told I would receive a response by April, so hopefully any day now! The official deadline is 31st July I believe, so we are still fairly early on in the game.

They say you can expect a response within 6 weeks.

I studied IR at Nottingham uni and am currently doing an internship working in public policy. I applied for IPP as opposed to PP.

Good luck!
Reply 84
Hi, I need some help...I have to choose between Masters in Development studies at International institute of social studies in The Hague, Erasmus university and Msc in public policy and human development at the Maastricht school of governance, Maastricht university and united nations university, ...

Please tell me what course is better and what has better job prospects
Original post by JCJM
Hi there

I applied to the course in mid-feb and I am waiting on a response. In an email I received I was told I would receive a response by April, so hopefully any day now! The official deadline is 31st July I believe, so we are still fairly early on in the game.

They say you can expect a response within 6 weeks.

I studied IR at Nottingham uni and am currently doing an internship working in public policy. I applied for IPP as opposed to PP.

Good luck!

Where are you doing your internship?
Original post by neha422
Hi, I need some help...I have to choose between Masters in Development studies at International institute of social studies in The Hague, Erasmus university and Msc in public policy and human development at the Maastricht school of governance, Maastricht university and united nations university, ...

Please tell me what course is better and what has better job prospects

I think you should go to the Maastricht school. Better opportunities, better course :smile:
After yet another unsuccessful attempt to get into medicine, I applied to a few masters programmes and am being forced to choose another career :frown: . I applied to this course on Feb 15 th and yet to hear .

Anyone else wanted to study medicine here that couldnt get in ?

I do like UCL and it will be great to go there but its been a difficult decision to give up the dream .

Will I get in ? I have a first in economics from Bristol but all my work experience ( for the last three years ) has been medically based , I was however involved in healthcare think tank company, to vary my experience to help my medicine application . How much do they take notice of experience ?

Cheers everyone
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by HopefulMedicc
After yet another unsuccessful attempt to get into medicine, I applied to a few masters programmes and am being forced to choose another career :frown: . I applied to this course on Feb 15 th and yet to hear .

Anyone else wanted to study medicine here that couldnt get in ?

I do like UCL and it will be great to go there but its been a difficult decision to give up the dream .

Will I get in ? I have a first in economics from Bristol but all my work experience ( for the last three years ) has been medically based , I was however involved in healthcare think tank company, to vary my experience to help my medicine application . How much do they take notice of experience ?

Cheers everyone

To be honest, I don't know WHY you have given up on your dreams. Take a year out and LITERALLY apply for medicine course else where in the world! How bad do you want it?

Get feedback! REALLY BE HUNGRY TO GET INTO MEDICINE!!

I get so upset when people give up. If I tell you what life has done to me and I am still going strong GRABBING, SECURING AND ELEVATING all opportunities I REFUSE to give up!

No one here can tell you if you will get in. We are not admission. Make speculative applications to other universities in the uk and outside the uk! DON'T give up! Take a year out, better your application if not do a DEGREE that is RELEVANT to your dreams? Foundation degrees into medicine? The really do exist. My friends have done it that way.

Unless you have a real interest in PP or Economics.. don't waste your time or money. Keep on focusing on your dreams.

If you like PP or Economics.. wait. That is all you can do.. :smile: I believe in you. You can do it!
Reply 89
Original post by iamsuperwoman
Where are you doing your internship?

I'm currently working in education policy, advising groups that are interested in setting up free schools. I finish there next week, and will then go and work for a charity that promotes the two-state solution in Israel-Palestine for the next three months
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nehemiah'sFaith
To be honest, I don't know WHY you have given up on your dreams. Take a year out and LITERALLY apply for medicine course else where in the world! How bad do you want it?

Get feedback! REALLY BE HUNGRY TO GET INTO MEDICINE!!

I get so upset when people give up. If I tell you what life has done to me and I am still going strong GRABBING, SECURING AND ELEVATING all opportunities I REFUSE to give up!

No one here can tell you if you will get in. We are not admission. Make speculative applications to other universities in the uk and outside the uk! DON'T give up! Take a year out, better your application if not do a DEGREE that is RELEVANT to your dreams? Foundation degrees into medicine? The really do exist. My friends have done it that way.

Unless you have a real interest in PP or Economics.. don't waste your time or money. Keep on focusing on your dreams.

If you like PP or Economics.. wait. That is all you can do.. :smile: I believe in you. You can do it!

Thank you for your words of encouragement. In regards to other alternative routes believe me I have tried. I have tried for 4 years post degree to get into medicine so i thought I would do a masters this year instead of putting my life on hold again!! Public policy was my second career choice so it makes sense.

I'm not going to give up on my dream I suppose I just need to be realistic. I don't know what else I can do to get in. Medicine post grad is so competitive and soul destroying :frown:
Thank you for your words of encouragement. In regards to other alternative routes believe me I have tried. I have tried for 4 years post degree to get into medicine so i thought I would do a masters this year instead of putting my life on hold again!! Public policy was my second career choice so it makes sense.I'm not going to give up on my dream I suppose I just need to be realistic. I don't know what else I can do to get in. Medicine post grad is so competitive and soul destroying :frown:

i wish I could give you a hug! Have you tried undergrad medicine? I cannot emphasis the foundation year. But I honestly think you are strong and you'll be who you're destined to be
Hello!
I have an offer to join MSc Public Policy at UCL and MPP offer from Edinburgh. Can anyone tell me about career prospects in both these universities? More emphasis on UCL career prospects. Any other suggestions?
Original post by Rahul1994
Hello!
I have an offer to join MSc Public Policy at UCL and MPP offer from Edinburgh. Can anyone tell me about career prospects in both these universities? More emphasis on UCL career prospects. Any other suggestions?

Hey, just curious, what are your grades/cv/experience? and when did you apply and how long did it take you to receive your acceptance at edinburgh from the day you applied?

Did you get any scholarship money either? Because the MPP at Edinburgh appeals to me more, but it's a full 5 thousand pounds than UCL.

This is all speculative, as I still haven't heard from Edinburgh yet lol.

thanks!
Reply 94
Jocelyn do you still not have an offer from UCL ???

Uh oh ... Paniiiccccc

Maybe you should try medicine instead lolol
That better not be a reference to me ... Very inconsiderate considering what I've gone through :frown:
Original post by H-W-T
Jocelyn do you still not have an offer from UCL ???

Uh oh ... Paniiiccccc

Maybe you should try medicine instead lolol

And you're an *#£&&#*@
Original post by gnomgnomuch
Hey, just curious, what are your grades/cv/experience? and when did you apply and how long did it take you to receive your acceptance at edinburgh from the day you applied?

Did you get any scholarship money either? Because the MPP at Edinburgh appeals to me more, but it's a full 5 thousand pounds than UCL.

This is all speculative, as I still haven't heard from Edinburgh yet lol.

thanks!

I applied to Edinburgh in mid January and received a conditional offer last week. I am currently in my final year under graduation from India. Not much of experience, just a few internships and six months work at the Indian Parliament.
The Academy of Government has reduced its tution fee. The amount quoted in my offer letter is somewhere around 19,500 pounds. I haven't heard anything about the scholarships.
I read your earlier posts, why do you say that career prospects in UCL isn't that great? UCL's career services seems to be pretty promising. Any specific reason?
Reply 98
And you're an *#£&&#*@

I only referenced medicine because I have applied this year and twas a joke between me and JCJM

Good luck with your new plans I'm sorry it didn't work out for you but as you said it is extremely competitive for graduates and I know of people who have tried more than 6 times

Your sincerely

*#£&&#*@
Original post by Rahul1994
I applied to Edinburgh in mid January and received a conditional offer last week. I am currently in my final year under graduation from India. Not much of experience, just a few internships and six months work at the Indian Parliament.
The Academy of Government has reduced its tution fee. The amount quoted in my offer letter is somewhere around 19,500 pounds. I haven't heard anything about the scholarships.
I read your earlier posts, why do you say that career prospects in UCL isn't that great? UCL's career services seems to be pretty promising. Any specific reason?

Thanks for getting back to me! It's not that UCL isn't great, it's just that in the US (where I would hope to return after my UCL Msc. PP) it's not very well known. Generally the universities known from the UK are Oxbirdge > LSE >> Edinburgh >> >>> ST. Andrews. Granted that's anecdotal and completely subjective, but I'm terrified in taking out 50k in debt, and having no job at the end of that. And sure, at UCL i'd prob be offered something full time in London after graduation, but how hard will it be for me to secure a visa to live there for another 2 years or so. This is all very hard to quantify and the fact that there is no internship requirement (and who knows how tough it will be for me to find an internship while there?) makes it even tougher for me to definitively choose UCL over Edinburgh (if I get in) when Edinburgh does have that internship available. Plus an internship seems wayyy better than a dissertation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending