The Student Room Group

Cardiff University Pharmacy (entry 2015)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
See you all in September! You'll definitely enjoy your first year at Cardiff. If you have any questions I'll answer them as best as I can!

Edit:
If it's assignment related, I'll try not to give you the answer directly but I'll point you towards where you'll find it. It's only for your own benefit! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Hinaqazi
Hey, so who's coming to Cardiff for pharmacy this year ?

Me :smile: Anyone staying in Talybont Court?
I actually live in Cardiff so I'll be living at home haha boring I know ! 😂😂😂

lmao same here!!!
anyone know if we can change our accommodation? Ive been allocated to talybont but if i dont accept it can i get a different room?
Reply 64
It depends on whether there are other rooms available. I'd suggest that you contact someone who deals with accommodation at the uni. If you do change, don't go to uni halls as they're abit out of the way. You'd probably have to get the bus to uni, it's not a massive problem, it's just inconvenient. If you live in Gate which is the furthest of the Talybont halls, it will only be 20-30 mins walk from the Redwood building (Pharmacy School) .
Original post by 120ysnih
It depends on whether there are other rooms available. I'd suggest that you contact someone who deals with accommodation at the uni. If you do change, don't go to uni halls as they're abit out of the way. You'd probably have to get the bus to uni, it's not a massive problem, it's just inconvenient. If you live in Gate which is the furthest of the Talybont halls, it will only be 20-30 mins walk from the Redwood building (Pharmacy School) .

Okay thanks, do you think i can email them? and well i got a medium room at talybont north, but i heard its really small :/ and i think thats around 20mins too? I wanted something closer and also same sex/gender. Do you think i can still get a different room? Or should i look for private?

Also have you got any tips for starting uni and studying pharmacy? was it easy to make friends?
Reply 66
Original post by chanel96
Ah fair enough! You'll save a lot of money that way! Where abouts in Cardiff are you from 😄 I'm from Bedwas (near Caerphilly) so I'm not far from Cardiff!

Haha yeah that's one way of looking at it 😂😂 I'm from roath so it's like by city centre not sure if you would know where that is but yeah if it's near Caerphilly I'm sure you're not that far away either 😄😄😄😄
Reply 67
Original post by farhana_t
lmao same here!!!

Lmao serious ? What part of Cardiff are you from ?
Reply 68
Anyone staying in Talybont South ?
Reply 69
Original post by ~amethyst~
Okay thanks, do you think i can email them? and well i got a medium room at talybont north, but i heard its really small :/ and i think thats around 20mins too? I wanted something closer and also same sex/gender. Do you think i can still get a different room? Or should i look for private?

Also have you got any tips for starting uni and studying pharmacy? was it easy to make friends?

Gate and North are pretty much a stone's throw away from each-other. As for room size, there isn't a huge variation. Some of the rooms in the more expensive halls (Gate) are not much bigger than the rooms in Taly North (The ones I've seen) .

As for female only halls, then you'd be looking to apply to Aberdare Hall.
Here's the link:
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/for/prospective/accommodation/residences/aberdare-hall.html

It's about a 30 second walk to the Redwood Building.

Yeah, it's really easy to make new friends, you'll be working in labs together at the beginning of the first or second week. The Microbiology ones are really fun.

You'll probably be split into 12 group and every 4 groups with be linked together. eg. ABCD groups will have the same labs, workshops etc but all the groups go to the same lectures.

As for settling into uni, the Cardiff Uni staff are really helpful, friendly and very approachable . You'll also be assigned student mentors (Second Years) that you will help you settle in. I didn't apply to become a mentor but I'll still be happy to help if nobody else is around.

A tip for later on in the year: Make sure you pack smart clothes for communication workshops and for placements.

Hope this helps! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Haha yeah that's one way of looking at it 😂😂 I'm from roath so it's like by city centre not sure if you would know where that is but yeah if it's near Caerphilly I'm sure you're not that far away either 😄😄😄😄

Ahhh yeah I know roath! You aren't far from uni at all then really! 😄
Reply 71
No. As far as I'm aware, only Brighton University offer medicine after the first year of Pharmacy. There may be others but you'd have to check their websites.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 120ysnih
Gate and North are pretty much a stone's throw away from each-other. As for room size, there isn't a huge variation. Some of the rooms in the more expensive halls (Gate) are not much bigger than the rooms in Taly North (The ones I've seen) .

As for female only halls, then you'd be looking to apply to Aberdare Hall.
Here's the link:
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/for/prospective/accommodation/residences/aberdare-hall.html

It's about a 30 second walk to the Redwood Building.

Yeah, it's really easy to make new friends, you'll be working in labs together at the beginning of the first or second week. The Microbiology ones are really fun.

You'll probably be split into 12 group and every 4 groups with be linked together. eg. ABCD groups will have the same labs, workshops etc but all the groups go to the same lectures.

As for settling into uni, the Cardiff Uni staff are really helpful, friendly and very approachable . You'll also be assigned student mentors (Second Years) that you will help you settle in. I didn't apply to become a mentor but I'll still be happy to help if nobody else is around.

A tip for later on in the year: Make sure you pack smart clothes for communication workshops and for placements.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Hi sorry for the late reply, but thanks a lot!! :smile: I might move to aberdare but not 100% sure yet since its a shared bathroom residence....do you possibly know how many people i will have to share with? I wish i could see the place before i could confirm everything :/
Anyone living in Aberdare Hall?
Reply 74
Hi, sorry for late reply. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who lived in Aberdare Hall so I wouldn't know. You could always ring the uni up to find out. :smile:
So how is everyone feeling for starting pharmacy at cardiff? Have you guys received timetables or anything because i havent. I'm confused whether we start next week or lessons start after that.
Reply 76
I've only received the induction timetable for Wednesday and Friday next week. Nothing for after that though
Reply 77
You'll receive a paper copy of semester 1 timetable in your welcome pack on enrollment day.
Oh whats happening on friday again?

So after enrollment, what do we do? Is there class on that day? Like are we going to be taught anything that week? Or is next week freshers week?

Also should we buy books and stuff? what do people bring for lectures?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 79
You should have already received correspondence from the school of pharmacy regarding enrolment and lectures. If you haven't here is what happens.

Enrolment
Wednesday 23 September 2015- at Vernon Lloyd Lecture Theatre, Room 0.21, Redwood Building.
Surnames A-F 9.30
Surnames G-O10.30
Surnames P-Z 11.30
Then you all have to attend the same room for the Introductory lecture at 13.30.
There are a few lectures after that but they're to do with health and safety and BPSA etc. You should finish by 17.00

Friday 25 September 2015

Student Voice 13.00 Paul Spencer Lecture Theatre, Room 2.60C,
Mentoring lecture 13.15 Paul Spencer Lecture Theatre, Room 2.60C,
Lab coat drop in collection 14.00-16.00. Vernon Lloyd Lecture Theatre, Room 0.21 They should be free, you'll have a voucher in your welcome pack.

I think teaching starts on the Monday. It really depends on the time-table that you will receive on enrolment.

As for books, there is no need to buy any. There are plenty at the Bute Building library (It has the Pharmacy section) and there are also some books in The Sir Martin Evans Building. I'd say 95% of what you need to learn is given in handouts.

Hope this helps.

Edit:
Bring a notepad, folder, stationery and don't forget to bring yourself!! :P
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending