The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Defer 1 yr or not?

I've obtained an offer of MPharm in Bath and Cardiff. As I am not yet 18 yrs of age, so Cardiff could only allow me to start 1st year in Sep 2024, while Bath not such rule i.e. I could start Sep 2023.
Any advice on going to bath (Sep 2023) or Cardiff (Sep 2024)? I dont want to waste 1 yr, but I like Cardiff more.
Hiya! Sorry you haven't had any replies on this thread yet. I'm Fatiha, a 2nd year psychology student and Cardiff University rep!

First of all, congratulations. That is an amazing achievement.

Cardiff is a great uni to start at! Deferring 1 year is common among students, and you don't have to necessarily 'waste' it away! I have friends who often deferred a year to work to get a bit of money before university, or even to just gain some extra experience that would be helpful for your career.

If you had any questions specifically about what student life is like, I'd be happy to chat about it :smile:

- Fatiha, Student Rep
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Original post by GG CHAN
I've obtained an offer of MPharm in Bath and Cardiff. As I am not yet 18 yrs of age, so Cardiff could only allow me to start 1st year in Sep 2024, while Bath not such rule i.e. I could start Sep 2023.
Any advice on going to bath (Sep 2023) or Cardiff (Sep 2024)? I dont want to waste 1 yr, but I like Cardiff more.

Hello @GG CHAN!

Some great advice from @CardiffUni Rep 2 there, and just to say again, many congratulations on receiving offers from 2 great choices for Pharmacy! I acknowledge we have replied quite late, so apologies for the delay in responding.

I had several friends in my first year at university who had deferred a year, and plenty of people start university after 2 or more years too. This definitely does not need to be a waste if you can earn some money to help you budget in first year, or get some experience by looking into volunteering or bank work related to your course. I would say that its important not to 'rush' into starting as soon as possible, but base your choice on the university you genuinely want to go to based on the research you have done into the courses and what they offer, rankings, your future career goals, placement opportunities and any other factors which are important to you, and which feels 'right' for you having visited or looked into the cities and campuses.

Both Bath and Cardiff are great choices for Pharmacy and so I'm confident you'll have a really positive experience whichever you choose. Very best of luck in your next stages and as always please post any more questions you have on here!

Holly
University of Bath
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Hello Holly,

Thank you so much for your advice! Yes I do agree both universities are excellent and great choices for Pharmacy! Based on my parents wanted me to continue university right after high school in Hong Kong, we've finally made Bath as my firm choice and Cardiff as my insurance choice. I am now getting everything ready. It'll be my first time studying aboard :smile:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Hope to meet you in person! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by CardiffUni Rep 2
Hiya! Sorry you haven't had any replies on this thread yet. I'm Fatiha, a 2nd year psychology student and Cardiff University rep!

First of all, congratulations. That is an amazing achievement.

Cardiff is a great uni to start at! Deferring 1 year is common among students, and you don't have to necessarily 'waste' it away! I have friends who often deferred a year to work to get a bit of money before university, or even to just gain some extra experience that would be helpful for your career.

If you had any questions specifically about what student life is like, I'd be happy to chat about it :smile:

- Fatiha, Student Rep

It's so great to have you reply! Dont sorry at all.
Yes, my mother and I really like Cardiff, however, it's sad to know I am not OLD enough to be a student at Cardiff :.(

Even my parents and I have never been to Wales, we like Cardiff for no reason! I've finally made Bath as my firm choice, Cardiff as my insurance choice. Anyway, no matter what, Bath is not far away from Cardiff. 'll definitely go and visit Cardiff and hopefully, will have the chance to visit Cardiff University :smile:))
Original post by GG CHAN
It's so great to have you reply! Dont sorry at all.
Yes, my mother and I really like Cardiff, however, it's sad to know I am not OLD enough to be a student at Cardiff :.(

Even my parents and I have never been to Wales, we like Cardiff for no reason! I've finally made Bath as my firm choice, Cardiff as my insurance choice. Anyway, no matter what, Bath is not far away from Cardiff. 'll definitely go and visit Cardiff and hopefully, will have the chance to visit Cardiff University :smile:))

Glad you made a choice you were happy with! Wish you the best of luck with your offers, and you are always welcome to visit Cardiff - the campus is lovely! :smile:

- Fatiha, Cardiff Uni Student Rep
Reply 6
Original post by GG CHAN

Personally I would just go to Bath especially if it's The university of Bath as its has a great reputation plus you wouldn't have to waste a year
Obviously it's your choice i would look at the modules and they way they will be graded and the overall job prospects at the end of the day people go uni to get a well paying job sometimes people earn slightly more as they have more opportunities due to the uni they want to and see if it outweighs the reasons you like Cardiff .
Use discoveruni to see the average salary after graduation from Cardiff and Bath , plus % of people who find their degree useful

Plus u need to think what you're going to do during that extra year
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Personally I would just go to Bath especially if it's The university of Bath as its has a great reputation plus you wouldn't have to waste a year
Obviously it's your choice i would look at the modules and they way they will be graded and the overall job prospects at the end of the day people go uni to get a well paying job sometimes people earn slightly more as they have more opportunities due to the uni they want to and see if it outweighs the reYesasons you like Cardiff .
Use discoveruni to see the average salary after graduation from Cardiff and Bath , plus % of people who find their degree useful

Plus u need to think what you're going to do during that extra year

Yes, I was thinking the same. Giving up Bath seems not a safe bet. And I like Bath's reputation and the place is lovely. ::::smile:))))))))

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending