The Student Room Group

Do the dead have rights?

Poll

Should the dead have control over their bodies

The moment a person dies should they have control over what happens to their body.

Scroll to see replies

Yes. If it were you would you like other people misusing or messing about with your body, disrespecting you? Nah
Yes that's why necrophilia is illegal and people make wills :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by bittr n swt
Yes. If it were you would you like other people misusing or messing about with your body, disrespecting you? Nah

But should the state/yourfamily have some say?
Original post by Aph
But should the state/yourfamily have some say?

No. Unless its really necessary like grave crimes etc
Reply 5
"should the dead have control over their bodies"

srs have you never seen a 70s horror
Reply 6
Just carry out the wishes of what they wanted to happen to their corpse while they were alive, whether that be burial, cremation, fed to animals, given to science or donated to a necrophiliac [or anything else within reason].
Reply 7
Original post by bittr n swt
No. Unless its really necessary like grave crimes etc

Why do you think that? I sorta think that you should use your body to help people and not lock it away with a coffin.
Some rights, yes. It would be pretty immoral to go 'Oh, he didn't want his organs donated, but he's dead now so I'll just whip out his liver and be off.'
Reply 9
Original post by WolfBird
Just carry out the wishes of what they wanted to happen to their corpse while they were alive, whether that be burial, cremation, fed to animals, given to science or donated to a necrophiliac [or anything else within reason].

Donated to a necrophiliac counts as "within reason"?!?!
Of course.
Original post by Aph
Why do you think that? I sorta think that you should use your body to help people and not lock it away with a coffin.

Yeah bodies can be used to help people if the donor wants it.

Personally I disagree with that but I do appreciate the donors
Reply 12
Original post by AdamCee
Donated to a necrophiliac counts as "within reason"?!?!

Yes. Personally I don't think necrophilia should be illegal as long as the corpse gave consent for their body to be used that way while they were alive, kind of like in a will. And of course precautions should be took in case of disease. It's not like it's hurting anyone or denying anyone else their rights. I'd happily donate my body to a necrophiliac and even give them permission to cut it up if they want. Dead bodies aren't something I put much value on. I would also gladly accept a corpse for those purposes.
Reply 13
Original post by Unruly Marmite
Some rights, yes. It would be pretty immoral to go 'Oh, he didn't want his organs donated, but he's dead now so I'll just whip out his liver and be off.'

But is it not more immoral to not have donated arguably?
Original post by Aph
But is it not more immoral to not have donated arguably?

No. As I see it, donation is a choice. Knocking someone unconscious with chloroform and cutting out a kidney/liver is wrong- as far as I'm concerned, doing the same thing to a dead body is just as bad. And, since I realised that doesn't answer your question, I don't think not donating is immoral- it is your body, as I see it you have no moral obligation to give bits of it away.
Within reason, yes.
Yes, if they, for some or other reason, didn't want their organs to be donated then I wouldn't go ahead and donate them. They do deserve to have that right over their body. However if it was someone who died unexpectedly and pretty young and you knew they would have wanted to donate organs but they didn't sign up to it then I would say it may be acceptable.
Yes. Because what kind of society are we going to shape if we treat the dead as if they are worth nothing? The question isn't necessarily about the concept of natural rights, but rather, how those rights can be of use to society as a whole. And I think, in this case, there should be some protective measures in place to ensure respect is not taken for granted.
Nah, I couldn't give a **** about dead people's so-called 'rights'. It's not a person anymore, it's a bag of rotting meat at that point.
Reply 19
I would just like to ask all you saying absolute control what if a person died and didn't want to donate their organs but their heart could save a little boys life say? Is it not more moral to save the child's life then abide by the wishes of a dead person?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending