The Student Room Group

Nothing like I expected..

delete
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by skd1996
All through my education I've strived to work hard in my exams just to make sure I got the grades to go to a decent university- I worked so hard and revised so much and it always paid off. I always got the best grades and everyone always counted on me being the one who would 100% go to university.

I'm not sure whether it's because of all the effort I put in before, or the fact I'm not at the right university, but I feel completely disappointed and just tired of education. Throughout my first few months at university I've obviously been putting in the effort- but at the same time I just don't feel passionate, or even happy. I've found myself crying nearly every day and just feeling out of place and completely lost. I'm not struggling with the work, but university hasn't lived up to my expectations.

Back last year, which feels like ages ago now, I received offers from all my choices- but ended up choosing a 'worse' university due to relationship, money and friends. Whilst I don't regret that fact I am slightly closer to home, I do feel like I chose the wrong university because I am just not happy here. I have no social life and no desire to even be here.

I'm actively searching for training programmes or work that I can do instead of being here. I heard all the horror stories about graduates not being able to get jobs, or people doing degrees just because they think it will get them further and it falling back in their faces. I'm sick of education and want to get out there and gain qualifications whilst working. I want a career. I want the experience that employers want in today's society.

Has anyone else felt like this about their education? Has anyone else wanted to just get out there and do something new and different?

If you had told me last year that I'd be begging to leave university and do something new I would have laughed in your face, but university isn't for everyone. Just because you're smart and get the grades doesn't mean you have to go, there's so many opportunities out there that I didn't even consider because of university!

If you feel that your currently not at the university you wish to be at and your not happy, have you considered dropping out and reapplying for next year, at the university you wish to be at?

If your not passionate about being at university at the moment, and are not happy, then it is unlikely that you will carry on motivating yourself to work. Rather than wasting the year, being stressed out and unhappy, maybe it would be better to drop out and take a gap year till your ready?

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Hi, let me tell you a bit about my experience because I think it's pretty similar. I was the same as you in that no one expected me to drop out until I did! Basically, I chose the wrong course and wrong uni, far too far away from home. I didn't get uni accommodation, didn't like the people I ended up living with and was crying every day, ended up not attending uni and basically it just sucked. By Christmas I started talking about dropping out and soooo many people said just stick it out until the end of the year, but I had made up my mind. I wasn't happy there, I couldn't see myself being happy there and I didn't want to stay. One of the hardest things was telling my parents I wanted to drop out but they were actually so supportive. Also, by dropping out at Christmas I only ended up having one terms worth of student loan on my back (student finance allows you one year as a 'mistake' year) and I still had time to reapply.

At first, I was also like you in that I just wanted to drop out completely and found a job, but I really would advise reapplying (although you only have about a week left so get on it quickly!!) just to leave that option open to you. If you decide in march you want to go to uni you'll have to wait a year and a half. So after all that and having reapplied (and a whole lot of accommodation hassle because I had had to go private!!) I had 9 months ahead of me to do what I wanted. I ended up working as a waitress for all of it and making quite a bit of money but you could work half and travel half or something like that. The most important thing I got from it is that it cleared my head. I was a lot happier, I could think more clearly about my future, and I decided that I wanted to give uni another try, but at one I really wanted to go to, with the course I had really wanted to do, at a uni that was right for me (I chose my original uni because of prestige). The uni I ended up going to was also, the only one I applied to in both my original application and my second application and I think subconsciously it was the one I had always wanted to go to.

Maybe you do decide it's not for you, but the only thing that can happen is either you go and you find that this time you love it!! You go and hate it again and it really really isn't for you and drop out again (but hopefully this time with a better frame of mind), or you don't go and start working. I'm so glad I gave it another go, I love my course, I have wonderful flatmates in uni accommodation this time and I'm much much happier.

Hope this helped you think it over some :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending