The Student Room Group

Thinking of giving up on one of my Alevels.

Y13 here. My exams start in 1 week. I've had such a struggle since I started with history. My teacher was useless- he decided to retire just before the exam period so my class is stuck with a cover teacher until we leave. Anything we did for that teacher wasn't good enough for him and the rest of my class felt the same. It seems like he didn't even know what he was teaching- he'd forget really basic things and relied on us to tell him if he got something wrong.
Looking back over my old notes to revise them, I notice that they're useless. They mean nothing. I go over my teachers powerpoints- its the same thing. This class has tested me for nearly 2 years and I'm at my breaking point. I'd rather fail this to get a chance of passing my other subjects than waste my time on this which could be better spent elsewhere. My other teachers have also left so I'm stuck with cover teachers in all my subjects- who, frankly, I don't trust to teach the subjects they are cause theyre unqualified- My college thought it'd be a bright idea to stick economics and business teachers with sociology and crimonology classes. I'm stuck. I don't wanna give up but I feel like I have to if I wanna get the grades I need.
Original post by miztwizted
Y13 here. My exams start in 1 week. I've had such a struggle since I started with history. My teacher was useless- he decided to retire just before the exam period so my class is stuck with a cover teacher until we leave. Anything we did for that teacher wasn't good enough for him and the rest of my class felt the same. It seems like he didn't even know what he was teaching- he'd forget really basic things and relied on us to tell him if he got something wrong.
Looking back over my old notes to revise them, I notice that they're useless. They mean nothing. I go over my teachers powerpoints- its the same thing. This class has tested me for nearly 2 years and I'm at my breaking point. I'd rather fail this to get a chance of passing my other subjects than waste my time on this which could be better spent elsewhere. My other teachers have also left so I'm stuck with cover teachers in all my subjects- who, frankly, I don't trust to teach the subjects they are cause theyre unqualified- My college thought it'd be a bright idea to stick economics and business teachers with sociology and crimonology classes. I'm stuck. I don't wanna give up but I feel like I have to if I wanna get the grades I need.

You're in Year 13. Were you hoping to go to university? Do you hold any conditional offers? If so, then it would not be wise to abandon a subject at the last minute. Even if this particular subject isn't mentioned in the offer conditions, if you were taking the subject when you applied there's a built-in assumption that you continue it. Any grade - even a U - would avoid causing issues there.

If you've yet to apply, because you were planning on taking a gap year, what impact would this missing A level have in your application? Would you be dropping from 4 subjects to 3, or from 3 to 2. If it's the latter, note than many universities - even those with low grade requirements - would expect you to have studied 3 A levels. Even if you got an grade E, that would be better than nothing.

By all means focus your efforts and your revision on your other subjects. But do the History exams.
Reply 2

do the exams regardless of what you feel like you may get. You’ve got nothing to loose in doing them. And in the future you’ll likely regret it, ik I would.
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
You're in Year 13. Were you hoping to go to university? Do you hold any conditional offers? If so, then it would not be wise to abandon a subject at the last minute. Even if this particular subject isn't mentioned in the offer conditions, if you were taking the subject when you applied there's a built-in assumption that you continue it. Any grade - even a U - would avoid causing issues there.

If you've yet to apply, because you were planning on taking a gap year, what impact would this missing A level have in your application? Would you be dropping from 4 subjects to 3, or from 3 to 2. If it's the latter, note than many universities - even those with low grade requirements - would expect you to have studied 3 A levels. Even if you got an grade E, that would be better than nothing.

By all means focus your efforts and your revision on your other subjects. But do the History exams.

I probably should've mentioned that I got a conditional offer on a course with a foundation year attatched so the grades I need to get in are low. UCAS points equivalent to three Es or something along those lines. I wouldn't consider giving up on a subject if I thought it'd cost me a place at uni. Thanks for the advice :smile:
I probably should've mentioned that I got a conditional offer on a course with a foundation year attatched so the grades I need to get in are low. UCAS points equivalent to three Es or something along those lines. I wouldn't consider giving up on a subject if I thought it'd cost me a place at uni. Thanks for the advice :smile:

Note that any change to your expected qualifications would need to be communicated to the university beforehand, and a change such as dropping an A-level may well nullify an offer or necessitate they adjust the offer. They made the offer on the understanding you were doing 3 A-levels and any change to that is a change to the contract you have with them.

I would contact the university before doing anything - and check the offer carefully, as it may specify "X UCAS points from 3 A-levels", which you may not be able to achieve if you drop one (as even if you get the UCAS points, you weren't doing 3 A-levels).

Especially if the offer conditions are so low anyway you have little to lose just be doing the A-level and finishing the course at this point, for better or worse.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest