The Student Room Group

Article: Why don't university students attend lectures?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
I didn't attend a single lecture after my first term of uni. Why?

- Awkward times. For example a 5-6pm lecture on Thursday night,

We had a 5.30pm seminar on a Monday. The timetable was something like 9.30-130am lecture, 11-12pm lecture 12.30-1.30pm seminar and then a seminar at 5.30pm. It was rather ridiculous.
Reply 41
Original post by sr90

- I remember an angry email going around in my second year once when 6 people turned up to a lecture - our course had over 100 people on it.

What happened?
Original post by Snufkin
What module is that? The OU raised their fees in 2012, a 60-credit module used to cost around £600 but now its £2700. An OU degree now costs £16,200 - less than a brick university degree, but still not affordable for most people if you can't get a loan.

SK277 (30 credits) :smile:.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
SK277 (30 credits) :smile:.

30 credit modules cost £1350 though?
Some lectures can be pointless to be honest.
Original post by kka25
What happened?

It was a pointless module we had to do which absolutely everyone hated
Reply 46
Original post by sr90
It was a pointless module we had to do which absolutely everyone hated

What was the angry email about? Curious :eek:
Original post by Snufkin
30 credit modules cost £1350 though?

It says so on the OU 'fees and funding' website but mine cost exactly £452 for 2015/16 study of a 30 credit module. I chose the OU over an access course specifically because of this - the access courses were all £1000+. I've noticed the fees info for 2016/17 on all of the modules say ''not yet available'' so perhaps there's been an increase for 16/17. Seems a bit of a jump from ~£500 though.
I always attend lectures, but it really depends on the lecturer. If he or she is adding more material as they go through the slides, then I have to be there. Frankly, that's the way it should be. However, I can't help skipping if the lecturer is just reading off the slides. Some are seriously bad, they mumble and make it sheer agony just listening to them.
It says so on the OU 'fees and funding' website but mine cost exactly £452 for 2015/16 study of a 30 credit module. I chose the OU over an access course specifically because of this - the access courses were all £1000+. I've noticed the fees info for 2016/17 on all of the modules say ''not yet available'' so perhaps there's been an increase for 16/17. Seems a bit of a jump from ~£500 though.

In 2014 the SK277 module cost £1316 (see here), and in 2015 it cost £1350 (see here). I have no idea how you only paid £500. :confused: Where do you live?
Original post by Snufkin
In 2014 the SK277 module cost £1316 (see here), and in 2015 it cost £1350 (see here). I have no idea how you only paid £500. :confused: Where do you live?

Strange - I've just been Googling it and reading around some other forums and everyone quotes prices £1000+. I paid my course fee up front in September and it was advertised on the SK277 module website as £452 - that's what I paid. I live in Wales, if that makes a difference?

OUreg.png
I stopped going to lectures in first year because they were on at stupid times (5:15-7pm) and I didn't want to walk over to campus on my own in the rain and the dark. First year didn't count either so that was a factor too. I actually did better in the modules I'd the worst attendance in though.

I missed a few in second year because of my part time job but I went to all of them in final year.
Strange - I've just been Googling it and reading around some other forums and everyone quotes prices £1000+. I paid my course fee up front in September and it was advertised on the SK277 module website as £452 - that's what I paid. I live in Wales, if that makes a difference?

OUreg.png

I think living in Wales does make a difference. Annoying that it is so much more expensive in England.
Original post by kka25
What was the angry email about? Curious :eek:

The fact that only 6 people showed up, it accused us of not taking our degrees seriously and being ''parasitic freeloaders''

It was absolutely hilarious to read.
gosh i have this sociology subject which is garbage as **** that literally nobody likes it, and i have 2000 essay assignment for it that i have absolutely no idea how to do it, and probably it's because i skip literally all the lectures except for the first week lol
Reply 55
Original post by sr90
The fact that only 6 people showed up, it accused us of not taking our degrees seriously and being ''parasitic freeloaders''

It was absolutely hilarious to read.

:eek2:

I'm sure the lecturer got some disciplinary action afterwards?
Reply 56
Currently in the middle of a mega catch up session and ironically, it's making me miss some classes. The lecture that is done in an hour or half an hour can be viewed at home so I'm currently taking time off to do weeks worth of work in days. Not sure how it got this way as I'd attend nearly all classes but I think that I'm making effort to rectify it is what matters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dependence on Powerpoint means lectures are no longer engaging (although there are exceptions).

Knowledge is mostly tested on background reading anyway, so what is the point?
User bumps year old thread: they get told off and the thread locked
Now staff are doing it
I went to all my lectures, for all the modules I chose to do, or actually liked. For some of the others, perhaps not

But the thing is, if you don't go to your lectures, say bye bye to a good grade (for most people)

This, and you effectively HAD to attend the lectures where there was a register
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending